Saturday, March 28, 2020

TL-DR Dept. - Pariah (Redux)

Older readers - excuse me while I savor the irony of that - may remember - who am I kidding? - have entirely forgotten - a piece what I wrote on Capitol's "Spite" Dylan album, wherein I made the bold claim that it's a perfectly swell little album that doesn't deserve to get the shit kicked out of it by sourhead Dylanophiles. Or anyone else. Leave it aloooone!

Talking of sourheads, The Grateful Dead have their share. They call themselves Deadheads, and what they know is more than we know, and gospel. Those Deadhead 101 CliffsNotes© in full:

1 "You had to be there." The Dead were only good live, especially at the gigs the Deadhead was at, wearing his vintage Dead tee, scribbling down the setlist, irritably protecting his mic tree and monitoring cassette capacity while everyone else was having a good time.

2 The Dead's studio albums mostly fail to capture the magic; they were recorded for people who couldn't get to the gigs, to fund the tours they couldn't get to, which were what the Dead were all about (see 1).

3 The Dead's live albums are mostly compromised. Preference is given to multi-disc box sets of entire concert runs you can stack on your shelf - unopened, please - to impress the Deadhead Inspector, should he drop by unexpectedly. Of all the live albums, the worst is Steal Your Face (wittily monickered Steal Your Money by Deadheads) because the Deadhead is on first-name terms with the band and privy to the behind-the-scenes back story, which you ain't.

Sourhead, elitist bullshit, all of it. But we're here to talk about Steal Your Face, which is not only a swell and easily-digestible double album but also - if you've been totally put off the band by Deadheads - a fine gateway drug to their œuvre [Fr. egg - Ed.]. To showcase a different aspect of the band than previous live albums, short songs were chosen, running from three to eight minutes. None of the lengthy jams for which the band were famous. "Indescribably poor song selection and complete lack of cohesion" froths our Allmusic nitwit, toeing the Deadhead line. Luckily, it's a line we don't have to toe. We're not sharing a camper van (or more likely a sinister man-cave) with a Deadhead and don't have to put up with this shit. We can enjoy a fine set of great songs well-played, which is what Steal Your Face is.

Today's offering is the remastered version from 2017's Grateful Dead Records Collection, which even Deadheads grumpily concede is preferable to previous digital iterations. I also have a rip of the original vinyl, if you're the kind of person who's interested in that kind of thing. I know I am.

Note: If you skipped to the end of this piece, go back and read the whole thing, dammit. You have nothing better to do right now. Admit it and be happy.


19 comments:

  1. Now that I've read it, I freely admit to being happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mickey Bitsko writes from his treehouse survival bunker in Pork Bend, WIS.

      Delete
    2. Actually, downtown Manhattan NYC, but it might as well be.

      Delete
  2. It is his safe space.
    A space unlike any other, one in which he can gaze upon the wonders of nature and contemplate the coming of the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...unopened, please - to impress the Deadhead Inspector, should he drop by unexpectedly." Laughed out loud, loudly, to this one. Yep. And I've known these kind of 'Heads for 40 years now. I think we're on the third generation of 'em by now. It all reminds me of Terry Southern's great short story from the early '60s, "You're Too Hip, Baby." But yeah, good take, and reason enough to listen to the very fine "Steal Your Face" yet again--as I await the arrival of my 15-disc "June 1976" box set(!) Well, you see, I swing both ways, baby...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ... *cough* ... have that set already. Looking forward to playing it after I get through the shelfload of archival releases I'm looking forward to playing ...

      Delete
    2. Or you could jump straight to the third show in Passaic, NJ in glorious mind-blowing monochrome - if you don't mind the tape flutter and wow:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_bXHbUqOd0

      Yours aye
      JJWombat

      Delete
    3. From the comments: "I was Jerry's hair stylist back in the day. You can see my artwork."

      Delete
    4. I only recently read "You're Too Hip, Baby," and floored by how I could relate - across the generations, even! I also like the play the role of "the Deadhead Inspector" when I visit my friends.

      Delete
  4. I first started seeing the Dead in 1966, but at the time preferred the Airplane. I got more into the Dead the more I saw them, they developed into a great band, before becoming fairly boring in the 80's until the end. I enjoyed the band (and the live tapes), but was not into the whole deadhead scene. I never saw Steal Your Face as a bad album. I didn't like the sound originally, but after listening to some tapes from that time period, it was exactly like they sounded. The material could have been stronger (more songs from Workingman's Dead & American Beauty), but not a bad selection by any means. I think the hardcore deadheads didn't like it because they didn't do any long jam tunes. The album also came out at a time when the band's vices were beginning to affect their judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tipping point is reached when judgement affecting your vices gives way to vices affecting your judgement. At the time, it's impossible to see it's happening. You need a friend to pull you back. Garcia's death angered me more than sorrowed.

      Delete
  5. A friend used to be part of their tour crew. I refuse to ride anywhere in his car, because its nothing but soundbored tapes of Dead shows he worked. Sorry (not sorry), I never got them. Went to two of their shows - extended, navel gazing, jams that lasted waayy too long. Tried listening to their studio albums; some very good songs (the early lps) surrounded by crap. How they developed the cult like following is beyond any rationale (unless you take into account, the heroin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opinions of all stripes are encouraged here at Th' House O'Foam©, where diverse opinions are listened to with respect in an atmosphere of gentlemanly collegiate debate. No voice is "too small" to be heard, and every point of view is honored - even shit ones like yours, pmac! (No disrespect).

      Delete
  6. Those Deadheads who dissed this album obviously never listened to 1975's Keith & Donna Godchaux album: https://we.tl/t-a0lOT4ifFG

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, in an effort to "get" the Dead. I doubkled my prescription meds. Holy crap!

    ReplyDelete