Saturday, March 7, 2020

Lady Bo's Guitar Club

Peggy, yesterday.
"Hi! I'm Peggy Jones, known as Lady Bo, and I played guitar with and for Bo Diddley. That's all me on Aztec, which I also wrote. As far as I know from Wikipedia, I never made any solo recordings, so Farq is exploiting my toothsome pulchritude to attract a bunch of skeevy old white guys to a blog piece featuring solo albums by a couple of guitarists who have nothing to do with me at all. So I'm a little conflicted by this. Farq says he doesn't have any Bo Diddley records, maybe we'll get some in the comments, and he respects my groundbreaking work and talent as much as a God-given ass that just won't quit. So I guess I'm okay with that."
You, today. For shame.

Thanks for the intro, Lady Bo! Today's Guitar Club features four funkified albums from a couple of the swellest guitartistes to finger a fret.

Cornell Dupree has just about the best name ever, for anyone, so it's a damn shame they spelled it wrong on his album cover, don'cha think? He played on over two thousand sessions, and formed session-man supergroup Stuff (to get their own piece later), while recording Joe Cocker's Stingray album. His swell first album Teasin', from '74, and a later effort, Child's Play, are included in today's bonus blister-pack.

Phil Upchurch is a shit name for anyone not in the aluminum siding business, but at least they spelled it right. Funk-in-ya-face Upchurch is from '69, and '72's Darkness, Darkness is a cornerstone album for the genre, and a rare double.

Sleeves not shown here. You wouldn't be looking at them anyway.

EDIT: Here's Lady Bo, at 72. Holy cats. Seventy-two?! Wotta dame!

14 comments:

  1. Bodacious.

    - B.(o)B.(estie)

    Play All Nite, Play a Little Longer Dept.

    Semi-pertinent aside (NOT "Side Show") time!!!

    (O.K., so I never MET the Man, just saw him live at the local fair a number (which I Do Not Recall) of summers ago. Both he, (Brother) Ray Charles & (Smoke 'em if you be still doing that then-illegal activity) Willie Nelson put on the LONGEST shows ever on the Main "Grandstand" Stage. They seemed to be entertaining THEMSELVES (and that's not because I was the only one in attendance) and the ONLY thing that STOPPED these guys from playing all nite was a 9 PM "curfew"... Showmen with The Goods. And the knowledge about how to have a GOOD TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOT to upstage your sike-uh-deleic phunky era Upchurchage, but his best was his early monster, "YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN"... I don't think even the putrid P.D. CD peddlers have touched that one on CD...

    Dig it the most man:

    https://www.discogs.com/Phil-Upchurch-You-Cant-Sit-Down-Part-Two/release/7834752

    Wow. 2 (for the price of none) Poster Boy babblings BEFORE the Head Foam Head checks in...

    I seriously need to Get A Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. B.B., as a reward for actually reading the words this time (nobody else has), this link is available to you personally and exclusively. It will self-destruct after use.

      Wish I'd been at that gig!

      Delete
    2. I hope BB got a copy as I was the first to hit the link.....lol. Crab Devil, he needs Bo Diddley Is A Gunslinger.

      Delete
    3. "lol"? Where do you think you are - the internet?

      Delete
    4. My digital copy of that one looks to be a homemade version of the 2004 reissue (with all the bonus tracks but in a mishmash of bitrates). Here it is, though:

      https://www85.zippyshare.com/v/uhHfPNfi/file.html

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this guitar-oriented extravaganza. I'm a little conflicted,
    too -- in this case, over which set of Bo Diddley recordings to offer
    a guy who might not have any of them. Maybe the BD Chess Box,
    in two parts, would fit the bill:

    https://www63.zippyshare.com/v/r9ZQQlaN/file.html

    https://www63.zippyshare.com/v/L1OUrX7h/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was lucky enough to see Lady Bo live. N.O. used to host a festival that featured nothing but 50s-70s overlooked blues, soul and rnb artists. Lady Bo,played at it twice. Sadly, the doctor that used to underwrite the festival no longer does so. Thx for the Dupre and Upchurch links, Farq. Upchurch's album is stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a phil-anthropic gesture - four more from the man they're calling Mr Upchurch in Accounts Receivable.




    ReplyDelete
  6. Your philanthropy is much appreciated! Not sure I had all those Upchurch albums and wasn't familiar with Cornell Dupree before. So much for my hipster cred :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Mr III. Immaculate taste, as always

    ReplyDelete
  8. Played the Ponderosa Stomp in NOLA in 2005 and Lady Bo was on the bill. We got to ride the shuttle together once or twice and IIRC she was married to her bass player. I heard she passed away fairly recently. Nice woman!

    ReplyDelete