Friday, March 27, 2020

Lockdown Escape Music Dept.

Re-ups of my own mixes/whatevers. I know what you're thinking - it's all been done before, mostly badly, and it's pointless because these fan assemblages never take the place of the originals, which we're perfectly happy with. Yup?


The Monkees Head soundtrack album has been a personal favorite since it was impossible to find back in the early 'seventies. It's seen various alternate versions since the internet destroyed its rarity value, and all of them are basically slung-together song playlists, avoiding the sound collage sequences, but that's what I wanted more of. So I assembled all the available soundtrack and related studio source material - it's a vast sonic motherlode - and created one long, filmic soundtrack in Audacity, editing and overdubbing parts at granular level. I used alternate recordings where they were better, added contemporary songs that fit, and basically stripped out Davy Jones, which people didn't like. Boo hoo.

There's a lot going on here you need headphones and time and patience to appreciate, which makes it a tough sell (nobody likes the single track thing much, either - the attention span is too demanding). But the result - for me, at least - was worth it. A continuous, shifting Technicolor paisley swirl that's as different from their albums as the movie is from the T.V. show. Original album: 30 minutes, more or less. This: 36 minutes, more or less.


Burning Bridges is the soundtrack to Obscured By Clouds "re-imagined" (as the Young People like to say). This is an album well-loved by Floyd fans, but which never quite hit the spot for me. It lacked the cohesive feel that makes an album more than just a collection of tracks, and the sequencing was unsatisfactory. It always sounded like a potentially great album they just didn't spend enough time putting together. And the interminable P.N.G. native singing at the end? Oh - you like that.

The song sequence is changed, there are new segués and edits, but it's nothing like the drastic remake of Head. And again I went for the "immersive" (as the Young People like to say) single track approach. You're not going to cherry-pick songs, and movies aren't cut up into mini-movies, are they? The result is - according to my wild claim - an album that now directly and clearly prefigures Dark Side, and stands on its own as a greater work of art than the movie. Original album: 40 minutes. more or less. This: 40 minutes, more or less.

22 comments:

  1. wow! this sounds actually very interesting and grand!!! May I be the first to bow down and bequest that you bestow these illustrious treasures upon us unworthy acolytes?

    ReplyDelete



  2. I do urge you to start at the very beginning - a very good place to start - and work your way up through the blog. If there's anything you want, leave a prettily-phrased request - and a cash donation - in the relevant comment section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't fight the urge....send snaps and ducats to Mean, Mean Ruben Dean @paymal.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. which is it -- More or Less?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us discerning and conscientious file leechers don't click more for less when they can click less for more!!

      Delete
    2. I mean we leechers not us leechers as in Born in the W.E.A.

      Delete
  5. I may have to go back on my swearing off the shrooms. Love the homepage redo; I never really bought that idle-playboy pop-rivet scion story. We all gotta do what we gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, just who is this TIM guy being plugged up front & center of your new Zombie Apocalypse header . . . . . ?

    Perspiring minds want to know.

    Now excuse me while I go get my temperature taken before attempting to enter the loco B&W movieplex...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Farq,
    I'm a-gonna try out your HEAD soundtrack. I'll listen to it as whole, and give it the ol' incense and joint test.
    My thing is using HEAD as a starting point for a larger collection of psychedelic Monkees. There's a heckuvalotta great stuff that was released under that name. Even the bubblegum stuff sounds adventurous at times.
    Gotta love out there stuff like Writing Wrongs and Shorty Blackwell. Nesmith and Dolenz were each stretching their acid tinged wings almost from the start.
    Porpoise Song embodies all the greatness and majesty the perfect chemistry that combination of talents (and certainly not excluding the always amazing Carole King) could produce, while Writing Wrongs might be the exact opposite, and still every bit as weirdly fascinating and enjoyable to me.
    I'll skip the Davy stuff though, with the exception of Harry's awesome Daddy's Song. There simply ain't no there, there...
    Thanks for your continued generosity FT3. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without Davy, no teenybopper following. Without teenyboppers, no Monkees. And he had a good voice. But he was never, even remotely, a Head. One of the themes in that incredibly rich and dense movie is "where's Davy?" - a line you can hear repeated in this mix. Award yourself bonus FoamPoints© or spotting increased Zappa and subliminal Firesign Theatre.

      The psych influence was there right from the start - Sweet Young Thing on the first album (1966 - about as early as this stuff gets) starts with fuzz overload and Nes singing "I know that something very strange has happened to my brain ..."

      Delete
    2. Farq,
      All true!
      My favorite and most obvious, and yet seemingly overlooked pun?
      The Monkees record company of course was Colgems, which was A subsidiary of RCA. Yeah, RCA VICTOR. Like The BIG Victor who follows them throughout the film.
      Good chat!

      Delete
  8. Here we go,
    I'm enjoying a couple o' bong loads, though I'm skipping the incense for now. I had to get this down while I remember.
    So far, As We Go Along has been an absolute highlight. The intro and its textures are fabulous. Here's what I ran to the computer for though...
    KURTZ!
    Farq, oh Farq. I'm wrestling with this one. The nudge dragging me back to the assassination of the Viet commander, juxtaposed with the assassination of the US commander. Nam was one of the ugly shadows hanging like a noose over the film from frame one, just as I remember it being here in the US.
    Granted, I was just a 13 year old when the film hit, but it was only just barely 6 months after the killing of RFK in Los Angeles, and only about what, 8 months after the murder of MLK. Things actually felt dark almost everywhere, even to a kid.
    The film reflects that darkness throughout, and your collage does the same in a very uncomfortable and appropriate way.
    That teeny Kurtz snippet alone either displays a great stroke of luck, or a stroke of creativity that I'm really impressed by.
    So subtle, hit me like a hammer.
    Now as I get towards the end I can hear your intent loud, and clear.
    This collage will be shelved along with the rest of my HEAD recordings and outtakes. Really nice...
    Oh, and the all LIVE version of Circle Sky! That Dolenz drumming! Two bars of steady time, two bars of MADNESS, repeat ad infinitum. So freakin' cool!
    Thanks again Farq.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the comment(ary), Frodis!

      "Head" is the ultimate rabbit-hole of a movie. Slated for not being "about" anything, it is nothing *but* about-ness. Working on this re-mix made me appreciate all the more the original studio splicing (Jack Nicholson, I think?).

      Did you hear the Firesign sample?

      Delete
  9. Farq,

    I saw your comment surrounding False Memory Foam's "Ground Zero rebuild of Head" over at 'Albums I Wish Existed' and made my way over here posthaste. I now look forward to immersing myself into your dense and dark mix (the latter descriptive adjective from fromnabulax). I'll get back to you with reactions. Until then, my thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there... Came here via another site (Albums I Wish Existed) and this version of HEAD looks intriguing (As does the Floyd).

    Maybe the links are no longer active (If not, can you please re-up?), but... Where does one click to get these?

    I thought maybe there were hyperlinks at the start of each write-up, but apparently not. What am I doing wrong here? Help, please???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy, the hyperlink was the word >urge< in my comment of March 27, 2020 at 8:34 AM. It's dead now - I'll re-up both albums later today, with pleasure, and leave the link in a new comment to this piece.

      Delete
  11. Link will be in the comments to the new piece "Stick It To 'Em!"

    ReplyDelete