Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Hall O' Foam© Dept - Jimmy Durante Inducted

"Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are."

The Schnozzola. They don't make them like that now, and they didn't back then, either. I'm tempted to cut and paste from Wiki, but if you don't know his story it's worth trekking on over to read. Wotta guy.


Today's Schnozzle Schelection™ is Jimmy Durante's Way Of Life. Yes, it's as sappy as a Bing Crosby Christmas, but it's from the guy's big old heart. Sentiment and romance disappeared from popular culture when we all got smarts, and we're the worse off for it. You won't want to listen to this to the total exclusion of Trout Mask Replica from your life, but life is big enough for both.

EDIT: The Foam Postbag has been simply overflowing with requests from thousands of you [Dick and Muffy Thousands, Pork Bend, WIS. - Ed.] literally screaming for more Schnozzola! To satisfy the appetite for things proboscisian, Club Durante is added to the rhinorecordings! It's less of the catering-quantity sappiness, and heavier on the thirty-weight, with swell duets and boffo yoks!

24 comments:

  1. To win this swell short-player, simply answer the following question: what did Durante kick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sentiment and romance disappeared from popular culture when we all got smarts"....or rhinoplasty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't he kick the bucket, like poor Piccoli?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but he kicked the bucket long before he kicked the bucket.

      (Thanks for making me google Piccoli)

      Delete
    2. Poor man never recovered from his dalliance with BB.
      Got that thoroughly cuckolded.

      Delete
    3. Who would? Genu-wine fam fatal, that one.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There's a TV show in the UK where if a contestant gives a predictable answer a klaxon sounds and they lose points. I'm afraid you've just come up with the answer at the top of my Secret List. It's not a bad answer - in fact it's brilliantly funny - but the klaxon has sounded and if you have accrued any FoamPoints© you must relinquish them.

      Delete
  5. As a kid I loved watching Jimmy on TV. There was/is something so likable and genuine about the man. My father and I used to sing "Inka Dinka Doo". Jimmy's shtick never gets old.

    In "The Man Who Came to Dinner" (1940's sophistication at it's finest) Jimmy steals the scenes with Monty Woolley, which is no easy task.

    "Jimmy Durante's Way of Life..." has my favorite version on "As Time Goes By" - thank you Farq.

    "I gots a little more Durante, should youse evince th' interest."
    Yes Please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, more Durante is never a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric Morecombe with a paper cup stuck over his nose: "Sittin' at my piano......"

    ReplyDelete
  8. In " It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"
    He Went sailing out there, just sailing out there!
    Car Crashes down the hill and Jimmy - " Tell me it don't make any difference"
    Sid Ceaser hold his head and tells him it makes no difference.
    Jimmy then kicks a bucket down hill
    And scene...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the answer I was looking for, Collect your FoamPoints™ from the counter, please.

      (I think I may have to watch that movie again today).

      Delete
  9. Maybe it's because I don't know Mr. Durante (I'm German), but is there a invisible link? I usually spot a single blue dot within millions of black ones, but this time .............??? A hint if you please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The links are never invisible. Because that would be stupid, but mainly because I don't know how.

      Delete
  10. Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash!

    (Stealth Link in this comment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, as I said before, this was easy to find. Thank you for your kind service. By the way: great versions of "I'll Be Seeing You" and "As Time Goes By".

      Delete
    2. Some more Schnozzola served up later, Dr. Chu!

      Delete
  11. If you kick me...you're dead!
    What am I?
    (A bucket)
    ...I'm way late on this one...
    Or, was Jimmy just way early?
    This is the kind of nuance that can kill a funny moment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I went to college with Dick and Muffy!

    ReplyDelete