Thursday, May 21, 2020

"Eleven Bees, Four Wasps, A Turtle ..."

Artists aren't always the best judges of record production. This shouldn't be a surprise - engineering and production require skills other than getting blown on the tour bus and disintegrating your septum. Ray Davies always seemed an odd choice for the Turtles to produce their Turtle Soup album, and the result was nothing too special. There was something dry and flat about the sound, the aural equivalent of cereal box card. Well, turns out that his production was hacked about after the event, and a load of lush stuff either blowtorched or hammered into the studio floor. It sounded too much like the Turtles, apparently, and not the kick-ass rock band the portly comedians wanted to sound like. You can read the story on an internet, but that's the crux of the biscuit.

So flash forward to (DATE HERE ED) [go fuck yourself - Ed.] and Rhino and Kaylan and Volman decide to restore Davies's original production for re-release. Swell idea, right? Except that somehow - maybe leaving Davies out of the deal didn't help - they fucked the whole deal up and produced this rotten-sounding piece-a-shit "remix" that's even worse than the original rotten-sounding piece-a-shit, which now sounds pretty nifty in comparison. They also dressed it up in a facepalm WTF? cover - a Rhino speciality at that time. Why pay a designer when the kid down at the copy shop will do it for a free album?

Will we ever hear the great album that's hidden behind all this? Do the tapes still exist? Why am I asking you? Anyway, I'm guessing that's where Ray Davies's outside production career stalled.

17 comments:

  1. To win this swell prize, simply complete the quote used for the title of this piece! Oboy! SOME FUN, HUH!?! Why not invite the Treehouse Club around to work on this together? Ask Mom to fix some rootbeer, and get your big sister to treat your buddies to sleeve jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. APPLAUSE! But you're not quite there yet! Can you complete the quote and walk home tonight with this magnificent prize? I know the studio audience is cheering you on and also the folks at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Eleven bees and a bumblebee [Jan & Dean - She's My Summer Girl]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eleven bees and a bumblebee

    Well, I met her at the grad night party this year
    De dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, de dumb, dumb, dum
    I held her real tight and whispered in her ear
    Come on and be my summer girl
    And now she's my summer girl
    You know we're havin' fun
    She's my summer girl
    To me she's number one
    I take her out surfin' with all the guys
    De dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, de dumb, dumb, dum
    And man, you oughta see them roll their eyes
    At my sweet little summer girl
    You know she's my summer girl
    You know we're havin' fun
    She's my summer girl
    To me she's number one
    Ooh
    De dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, de dumb, dumb, dumb
    Ooh
    She's my summer girl
    Don't you know that she's my summer girl
    You know we're havin' fun
    She's my summer girl
    To me she's number one
    I wonder how it's gonna be when summer's through
    De dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, de dumb, dumb, dum
    I have to quit all the groovy things we do
    And forget my summer girl
    Don't you know that she's my summer girl
    You know we're havin' fun
    She's my summer girl
    To me she's number one
    Let me tell you she's my summer girl
    You know we're havin' fun
    She's my summer girl
    To me she's number one
    She's my summer girl
    Ohh
    She's my summer girl
    To me she's number one

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister had the "Surf City and Other Swingin' Cities" album

    ReplyDelete
  6. "....nine apathetic, sympathetic, diabetic old men on roller skates with a marked propensity towards procrastination and sloth....eight brass monkeys from the ancient sacred crypts of Egypt....."

    obey-gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaylan/Volman's Tibetan Memory Trick - FoamPoints™!

      Delete
    2. Or:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06D1F5-4Atc

      Delete
  7. .. and a duck walk into a bar. The others promptly ditch the duck. The bartender says, "I guess the bill's on you."

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Eleven Bees a-buzzin', Four Wasps a-W.A.S.P.-in', A Turtle and a hare race to avoid being supper ... and an OED in a passion fruit tree!!!"

    An olde '7Ts Country Rock-derivative holiday carol oft heard being "sung" (Term used loosely - Ed.) with the aid of some palm wine around the Foam Isle compound campfire each December.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does anyone really want "this rotten-sounding piece-a-shit "remix"?
    Historically speaking I guess so.
    Then again it doesn’t matter why you do nice things; all that matters is that you do them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always salutary to see how opportunities for making something worse are rarely passed up.

      Delete
    2. Feel free to steal my favorite motto du jour-ky "remasterers":

      "We improve things by making them worse."

      Delete
  10. Hey, rotten sounding or not, the Turtles invite us to a "six degrees of separation" style game with other recent musical foamed features.

    The Turtles' "Outside Chance" was of course written by none other than Mr. Warren Zevon. And "You Showed Me", by the Jet Set/Byrds in an egg stage, also recently foamed.

    Coincidence?! *dum dum dum*

    Yeah, most likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You score massive FoamPoints™ for these connections, OBG. FoamPoints™ can be redeemed for swell premiums at any authorized FoamFranchise Partner Store.

      Delete
    2. I'll save 'em up for the life-sized Kreméé action figure.

      Delete