Thursday, May 21, 2020

TL-DR Dept. - Skiffle Cures Tuberculosis Claim Upheld

"Is there a Seymour Butts here?"
Four Or Five Guy© JJ Wombat [SWELL TRADING CARD AT LEFT! - ED.] chisels this screed into the rock face of our collective consciousness.

First Gig What I Remember (or how I got to love music)

I suppose a fever hospital is the weirdest place to be your first rock’n roll gig but that’s what it was like in the 'fifties.  Our local infectious diseases hospital was built between 1899 and 1901 and, by the time I had my first rock’n’roll experience, it catered for tuberculosis patients.


So where did the rock’n’roll come in?

I remember an open-air concert at the hospital in 1957 featuring Nancy Whiskey and the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group and hearing them sing their big hit song Freight Train (written by Libba Cotten).  I can hear the song now (it’s playing on the Tube) but, in my mind, I can still hear their second encore and the thunder of applause.
That was, probably, the first million-selling record by a Scottish artist.  They even performed on the Ed Sullivan Show on a tour of the States in the 'fifties.  


But this was Skiffle NOT rock’n’roll.
 

How did this tune become rock’n’roll?  According to Mark Lewisohn, in The Complete Beatles Chronicles [YAWN - Ed.], the Quarrymen performed it live from 1957 till at least 1959, if not later, with John Lennon on lead vocal.  So, in 1957, I was hearing what would become the foundation of the setlist of one of rock’n roll’s greatest bands.

In 1964, I went to see the Beatles in Blackpool.  They didn’t sing Freight Train that evening, and I wouldn’t have heard it anyway for all the screaming girls, but this was another indelible mark on my journey through listening to music.
I still love music and go to gigs but I can’t forget my first live gig sixty-three years ago.  And I can’t forget Freight Train - Garcia and Grisman are playing it now on my stereo!

7 comments:

  1. I'm NOT commenting yet!
    I want those trading cards...
    Fantastic best card so far!!!
    I would 'say more, but' I said I wouldn't!
    Be nice too your graphic arts dept. charity pancake breakfast and raffle!
    Only a pound per ticket...or six for a fiver!
    (DAMMIT...I knew I was addicted)
    Remember when I hated writing???
    I'm going to blame this on some BODY...
    but whose???
    Skiffle cures TB! Wonderful news
    Rock Island Consumption Donegan and The Not-With-My-Washboard you don'ts.
    I'm gonna throw in the towel.
    I think I'm gonna form a Skiffle group.
    It's A Wonderful Life And The Jimmy Stewarts!
    Moniker Heaven studded in rhinestones.
    What the hell kind of coffee did you bring me???
    That ain't Jamaica Blue Rivet!!!
    Oh Ramona...if there was only something between us
    (Interest drugs)
    FARQ! Help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1957! I was still in nappies/diapers, depending on your location.
    Or, I was just a little clump of cells, depending on the date.
    I wish I could have played such an important role in the Beatles' formative years.
    Why am I not able to put my I in Italics for emphasis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a song on Dylan's 2nd album called Oxford Town...
      (or, so they say)...

      Delete
  3. Very cool story, J.J.!
    What else do you remember about the Blackpool gig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were staying in the same hotel in Blackpool as a couple of girls from Dunfermline who were involved in The Beatles Fan Club - they scored free tickets for us. The overwhelming memory is the volume of noise from all the screaming girls. This was at a time when the 'house PA' provided ALL the sound and it was weedy in comparison with what was going on in the audience - Selmer T&B 50's and Vox AC 30's didn't offer much punch even in relatively small theatres. The gig was a TV variety show and the sound on the SBD recording is much better than real life as this was the mix for TV broadcast so you can actually hear the instruments! Listen here: https://we.tl/t-C6NWU1IjXh

      The Beatles / Blackpool connection followed me when I moved to college in London in 1969. I was fortunate to meet John & Yoko a few times at Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park when they had taken up the case of James Hanratty who had been executed for murder earlier in the 60's. Hanratty was captured by the police in Blackpool and it is said that Lennon's own connections with Blackpool were germane in his taking up the case. I'm sure that he made a documentary as he discussed it when I met him but I've never seen the film.

      Delete
  4. A nice memory and a good story. That first live show with high energy music is unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete