Tuesday, January 28, 2020

"The Most Listened-To Band In America"

The Buckinghams didn't much like their 1967 hit, Kind Of A Drag, and let producer Jim Guercio lead them into more complex arrangements (Al Kooper admits the magnificent first BS&T album was directly inspired by the Bucks).

The Beatles' influence was keenly felt, but the hits dried up and by 1968, the presciently-titled In One Ear And Gone Tomorrow signaled the end of their reign as Billboard's  "Most Listened-To Band In America".


From sketchy garage rock, through ornate pop-psych and Guercio's horn charts, they cut four albums in under two years.

We're still listening. What a groovy, groovy band. Groovy cover art, too!

14 comments:

  1. Kuja juu, oh kuja na kiungo hicho au Sally atalazimika kuweka miguu yake gorofa ardhini ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google translate renders FGW's comment thusly:

      "I will gladly bear your love-child, Farq. Yes, small-minded people will laugh. Let them! My love for you is as enduring as the stars!"

      Delete
    2. LOL.............Let them laugh.

      Delete
  2. Visiting this page is like being awash in the stream of holy light. May it bless our days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All hail our divine and most holiest hostiest host!! Feel his love and kindly leave an offering in the spittoon on your way out

      Delete
  3. Well I never, another earfull of enlightenment....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such sucking up by 60% of the guys usually results in a link. Are you playing hard to get today Farq, old bean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're going to San FranciscoJanuary 29, 2020 at 1:04 AM

    Get Cody or Kelly in here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. some service, huh? geez ... I've only got so many clicks to give in a day

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't apologize enough, pals. I fully intended to upload earlier but wandered off trying to remember what I'd forgotten to do and ended up running sealant between the bathroom wall and floor instead.

    Here's yer link:



    Buck up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farq, Farq, Farq.........that's what the menials are for!

      Delete
    2. I had a Senior Moment. In fact, my life is becoming one continuous Senior Moment. But hey - there are compensations. Skechers slip-on shoes. Last I looked, Skechers made twinkly pink fuck-me pumps for people who wanted to look like Britney Speers. Now they make the world's most comfortable shoes. I'd wear 'em in bed if I could.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete