Saturday, January 25, 2020

Pure Pleasure

The term guilty pleasure is one I don't like. It implies that you consider yourself to have more refined tastes than the common herd, and yet are capable of wallowing in their kitsch pleasures on occasion, which makes you adorably human. A commenter suggested that Rod Stewart is a guilty pleasure of mine - he's not. Simple pleasure needs no qualification. But when I first picked up The Pleasure Fair in the early seventies, I kept it hidden from the cool crowd I slouched around with, and my pleasure in it did have a guilty aspect to it - like I was burning my freak flag, or at least singeing it at the edges. It was undeniably plastic, man, but the songs made me feel good - what was wrong with me?

These days, of course, who gives a flying fuck what anybody likes? And I still like this. How could anybody not? Especially in this expanded version uniquely crafted by none other than sitarswami [FX: ELECTRIC SITAR, WINDCHIMES] internet mystic and psychedelic panjandrum. He's trawled his unicorn-mane dreamcatcher across the ætheric void to gather a handful of associated recordings by the core (pre-Bread) line-up under different names. They're super-swell. You may never hear them unless you download this. And nobody's watching.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm hooked. As a long time Sunshine Company fan, I think might be just what I need right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for some info from sitarswami before I upload this - in holding pattern -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitarswami sent me this link for the A side of the Curtain Calls single.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmg8gMMWHkA


    (You may understand why it's not included in the download)

    ReplyDelete
  4. many thans for The Pleasure Fair.
    btw i'm still enjoying the excellent Change by Spanky& Our Gang however the first track [i won't band you]sounded very familiar and i've just realised today that it's the tune of Father and Son by Cat Stevens...which got me thinking if it was one of those cassical tunes that could be appropriated without a comeback.

    ReplyDelete