Monday, January 13, 2020

For Pete's Sake

Peters Berkow, Ivers, and Walker feature today in our Hip Intellectuals feature featured in today's feature. On Faculty Recital beat poet and mescal mystic Peter Berkow mused on surviving a nuclear holocaust, back when we only had that to worry about. Imagine!


Before Peter Ivers was hammered to death in his Los Angeles loft he found time to record a few albums well-regarded by connoisseurs of the outré, the bizarre, and the strange. And the odd. Knight of the Blue Communion was his debut recording, and doesn't disappoint.



Peter Walker completes today's Pete-centric package with the snappily-titled Second Poem To Karmela or Gypsies Are Important. If you like his friend Sandy Bull's work - and if you're reading this, the chances are that you do - you may enjoy this.


These albums have been rated "very" on the FalseMemoryFoam© Hip-O-Meter®, so you may download in safety!


14 comments:

  1. Somehow missed Ivers demise but don't want to miss these goodies....thank you very much Throckmorton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivers' bloodsoaked death is a classic story of LAPD dumb-ass block-headedness, and remains unsolved. The day we see a movie or TV series showing these fat stupid clowns as they really are will be a first. I'm not holding my breath.

      I'll up these after I brew my java, FGW. Sun's up over the river and all is well in this world, as I hope it is in yours.

      Delete
    2. Things are fine here too. Nice sunset. I'll dig into the Iver's story a bit. Sounds intriguing & often the case in LA justice. I left there not too long ago after 18 years....priced out as far as I wanted spend too much of my life paying rent. I saw plenty of interesting police work there.

      Delete
  2. Thanks.

    I was reading about Peter Ivers the other day because a new compilation of his work has just been released: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/27/an-einstein-among-neanderthals-the-tragic-prince-of-la-counterculture.

    I have plenty of LAPD stories, particularly from them good ol' punk
    rock days. I knew a couple who dwelt in a fantastic, decrepit,
    mansion-like abode in what's nowadays called Koreatown. Their
    phone conversations with the cops would typically go like this:

    Them: Our place just got shot up by gangbangers again.
    LAPD: Did anyone get hit?
    Them: Not over here.
    LAPD: Call us when somebody gets hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our police force is much more enlightened in New Orleans. They don't show up for all races, creeds and colors......

      Delete
  3. Phew! I know you gave up caring long ago but some of us are still trying to cultivate that coveted but elusive "hipster cred" with our neighbors. I shudder to think what they thought when they peered through their binoculars and saw a post "use by" Rod Steward peering back at them on my computer screen! . This ought to show them who's boss!! Thanks for helping to restore my badly bruised reputation with this esoteric "out-there" offering! I know I'll sleep better at night having this on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very fact that you're one of the four or five guys shows you have hipster cred out th' ass. If you dig a cat, he's hip to dig. Dig?

      Delete
  4. Spiritual Rebate for the Stoned Zen Pimp

    Hippest thing I've come across today.

    Thank You, Farquhar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Was just going to bed and thought I would pop in. Thanks - great stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete