Thursday, January 16, 2020

Got Crabs?

After Curt Boettcher's Millennium/Sagittarius projects, Michael Fennelly - and I'm going to pause for a moment here to point out the double-letter possibilities of that handful of names - joined the none-more-Tap Stonehenge (straight outta Sunset Strip), replacing a lead singer who couldn't write songs and couldn't sing. Duh. Fennelly fit right in, excelling at both. The band changed their name to Crabby Appleton, and released a nifty, swell, and bitchin' first album on Elektra in '70, produced by FoamFavorite© Don Gallucci (another double-letter offender). The single Go Back did okay in the charts, they toured with big name bands, and you'd think nothing was wrong with this picture.


But the band didn't feel the album captured their live ability to, er, rock out. Rocking out, AKA kicking ass, was important in the early seventies. So they gave the production of their second album to - a folksinger producer. Right. The result disappointed everybody. Even people who'd never heard of the band were disappointed. Irving Kowznofsky (Pork Bend, Wis.) puts it best: "the band seemed to have lost direction and focus. Some of the album is swell, but there was no single. I never listened to it."

It's worth reflecting - if you're the thoughtful, bookish type - on the covers. That first one is great, and having no text was unusual for Elektra. Everything about it is swell. Like the album. The second - er - features a large photograph of a rotten apple core.

I think I remember a non-album single, but I could be wrong.

6 comments:

  1. Saw these guys live twice. Loved them when I was 14. Gee, Farq, these would make a great addition to the FWG 6GB library. May I puhlease...........?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't Gary Usher part of Sagittarius? I've been rocking that and some other Usher stuff on the old Pod classic. I recently read a Brian Wilson book and 3 Beach Boys books plus something to do with Capitol Records and LA music from the 60s and Usher comes up a lot, as does Curt Boettcher. Somehow missed the Crabby Appleton connection. Need those old Trouser Press band genealogy charts. I think you're right on the non album single. Crabby was great live. I think I saw them with Hammer, Steel River (1st time I ever saw a Fibes drumset) and Grand Funk Railroad at the Columbus, Ohio Veteran's Memorial Auditorium. I'll look it up as I could be way wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The A side of a 1971 single "Grab On" was not on either album. The B side "Can't Live My Life" was from the first album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks once again for bringing back rock'n'roll memories that this old brain absolutely refuses to acknowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. American "Boomers" may recall the name while smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo.........

    ReplyDelete