Saturday, January 4, 2020

Cagefight Saturday - Slayer vs. Astrud Gilberto

At first sight, this seems a cinch, right? A bet on Slayer is money in the bank. Their hometown of Huntington Park was awarded the California's Most Miserable City Award according to Business Insider, which rated it tenth overall in its nationwide census of America's Most Miserable Cities. But the band came together at the private Wilson School Of The Arts, named after celebrity Huntington resident Terry Wilson, stuntman and actor, noted for his role as Bill Hawks on the television series Wagon Train. An oasis of genteel middle-class culture where students read Proust and formed string quartets to play works by Fauré and Debussy, it was a blissful refuge for the four sensitive Catholic boys but poor preparation for their career in the wider world of Huntington Park, where their fern-decorated concerts were met with jeers and bottles of piss from a hostile and largely Hispanic audience. Forced into a change of approach, their evolution into the nation's prototypical Death Metal band was a surprise success.

Astrud Gilberto's upbringing is perhaps better known - her childhood years wrestling alligators at her father's Parque de Atracciones [Amusement Park - Ed.] in Quito was the subject of the made-for-TV biopic Astrud And The Alligators, starring Pia Zadora, with Wilf Brimley as her crusty yet lovable pop.

Study the form, and place your bets wisely!

16 comments:

  1. You may request either, or both, or neither. Th' CURSE OF FOAM will be manifest as Vigorous Overnight Nostril Hair Growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am requesting the bothiousness

      Delete
    2. Oh - OK ... gimme a few minutes ... Cody's shaving my back hair right now

      Delete
    3. Don't do the ass fro until Memorial Day before you hit the beach. I seriously saw this tip in a magazine in LA

      Delete

  2. For me, Astrudigiulibertosullivanmorrison wins by a spread-eagle butt-crunch in the first.


    Linquage du jour

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was held up at gunpoint by Astrud at the Alligator amusement park. She was classy though, she had a garter on the stocking over her head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love a classy dame! The type she pats her mout' wit' a napkin after usin' th' spitoon ...

      Delete
  4. Like I was saying, just before I screwed up the line spacing: the two of you are in fine form today. Me, I've already got nostril hairs long enough to trip over -- indeed, to hang myself by. Even so, I do find it unnerving to encounter yet another version of "Portuguese Washerwoman."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah .. what were the chances that would turn up on the Slayer album as well?

      Delete
  5. We wus discussin' classy-type dames .. how about the one she sez "likewise I'm shewer!" when intry-duced to swanky gents?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Astrud's one funny name for a broad.........ain't that rite Farq? I'd vote early, and often, for her, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, according to my research team, of Scandinavian origin and means "divinely beautiful". I think she rides Walt Wanderly's swelling organ with aplomb, yes?

      Delete
    2. So, she rides Wand's swelling organ?!? You cunning linguist.

      Delete
  7. Always seemed strange to me that Astrud sang the 'Girl from Ipanema' when I was younger......a chick singing about a chick????? I later found out that that was a thing......

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd of thunk this contest would of drawn more votes for Slayer, but it's Astrud in the first round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh trust me 'Angel of Death' crosses the players shuffle.......

    ReplyDelete