Friday, September 6, 2019

It's Jaazz Time!

More late 'fifties cool for your inner hepcat! That's Jimmy Giuffre [previously featured at th' House o' Foam© - Ed.] inking charts and blowing reed for Anita O'Day. Know what? Put on a clean shirt for the lady. She dressed nice - check the gloves! - and you should repay her respect. Look how you look. Yeesh.

Amazing! That's the word the record company chose to describe Mr. Sam Most. Perhaps sensing its inadequacy, they elaborated with "a new sound of our times", which tells us all we need to know. We're in, right?

From wikipedia: "Samuel (Sam) Most was a pioneering orthodontist and inventor of the dihedral brace, which corrected splayed incisors by means of a sprung steel brace passing over the back of the head. He was granted the prestigious Medal Of Honor by the American Dental Association in 1953. Royalties from the patent enabled him to retire from dental work and pursue a career in jazz music [citation needed]."

3 comments:

  1. I'm passing some time on the Cote D'Azur, watching a thunderstorm thru my hotel window, so I have reduced access to the outside online world. But boy, am I excited about this previously-unknown-to-me Giuffre set? Yes, I am.
    Keep it going with the JG stuff, I'll be listening as soon as I get home .... for even more, "Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Giuffre" is a treasure and "Western Suite" is a pleasure.
    Cheers, Peanuts Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - esp. the scat

    ReplyDelete