Saturday, September 7, 2019

Something For Saturday Night And Sunday Morning

The more sophisticated among you - what the hell - you're reading this, you got sophistication out the ass - will quickly grok this album is by some French dude from France sung in French. Why, that's some noive the guy got!

Sometimes we have to just grit our teeth, bend over and accept what's coming. Our experiences in the slammer taught us that. And thus with this. Just pretend you understand the lyrics. If some dame sees you nodding along, a wry smile on your lips, and asks what the song is about, give a helpless shake of your head and sigh "it's ... it's impossible to translate. The nuance ... " (it always helps to pinch your finger and thumb when you say nuance). If her response is something along the lines of "blow it out yer ass, ya doofus!" ask for the check and leave a French coin as a tip. Or follow the instructions below.

This is beautiful music in any language. Francis Cabrel is the intellectuel [intellectual - Ed.] of French pop, and it's a damn shame you took metal shop 101 instead of French, ya doofus. Par exemple, La Corrida is a song about a bullfight. But from the bull's POV. Neat, huh? The bull can't believe how fucking insane it is. Aaaaand - because this is French - there's a deeper agenda here. It can be understood as a political/religious song about persecution. Remember this stuff, because you can explain the song to the object of your heart's desire while she's slinging hash, or snorting blow off your penis. Perhaps both simultaniently. Brother, will she be impressed!

It was also the soundtrack to my first marriage falling apart. Rather, it was the favorite album of the sultry Parisienne who blew it apart. But we move on - we're professionals! Excuse me while I gaze wistfully into the distance ...

9 comments:

  1. The French do have that je ne sais quoi thing going for them. But, everytime I start to buy into the French being the height of sophistication, I remember that they thought that Jerry Lewis was some sort of god.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this album. I heard when I visited Paris years ago, and bought it at the Virgin Megastore that was located in plaza beneath the Louvre at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. c'est la vie, mon ami. merci beaucoup.

    je t'embrasse très fort,
    Monsieur Da'vied

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great album. I feel bad that I've not heard of French Franc before. Just goes to show, you can't hear everything that exists, however good it is. However hard you try.
    Great songs, great singin' and some wonderful guitar. Anyway, I've just bought it (I'm that sorta chap) and I suspect I will buy more - listening now to "Presque Rien" it'll probably Hors-saison next.
    Thanks.
    Cheers, Peanuts Molloy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to upload his 3-disc Essentiel collection sometime. Good introduction/overview. Other French Music From France In French coming up.

      Delete