Friday, September 20, 2019

Mmm ... Nice ...

You know that feeling when you're introduced to someone at a party and you can't think of a gosh-darn thing to say? What's that? The only party you ever went to was a necktie party? Well, never mind. That's the way I feel right now. All I can think of to say about these albums is they're pretty swell. From that strangely aimless early seventies period when instrumental chops had been honed as finely as they could in a pop-rock context before becoming sacrificed to to the worship of Baal, the Dark God of Prog. Providence were from the US, and included more classically-trained string players than seems wise.

Dragonfly were a UK act who clearly wished they weren't. Their Left Coast harmonies and winning way with a tune weren't enough to prevent Almost Abandoned from being a hell of an ironic album title. Look at them waiting for the surf.

These albums aren't going to change your life. Not even your weekend. But they may help to pass a couple of hours in a pleasant and harmless fashion, and who can ask for more than that?


4 comments:

  1. Thank you Mr Throckmorton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very welcome, Mr. Plowman! They're by no means "lost classics", but they deserve to be kept alive on somebody's hard disk until the heat death of the universe, at least.

      Incidentally, my family name is III - Throckmorton is my middle, given, name. I am the third Farquhar Throckmorton in the family line, so technically my name is Farquhar Throckmorton III III. I hope this clears up the confusion!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Mister Three (did I spell that correctly?). I suspect that I'll like these.

    ReplyDelete