Friday, August 30, 2019

From Trogg To Prog - The Bobby Fripp Interview

The last post in our record-breakingly popular PEW Week is an exclusive interview with Robert Fripp. I interviewed Bobby (as he's known to his closest friends) in his converted vicarage at Piddlehinton, deep in the Dorset hills.

FMF©: Can we start with your experience with The Troggs? I don't think most of our readers will be aware of the connection.
RF: My! You have done your research, haven't you? Well, Reginald [Presley - Ed.] and I were at Yeovil Technical College together. Not really together as such, I tended to distance myself from that crowd, but when Reginald said he was forming a beat group I generously offered my services as guitarist - not because I could play, but because I owned one. A Burns three pick-up. Bright red. I remember it had an impressive array of tone switches which made very little difference to the sound. One was labeled dog bark! Reginald's cronies were what I used to call oiks - still do, actually - real country bumpkins with straw in their hair. As a slight and bookish youth, my downy cheek easily brought to a blush, I was an outsider from the beginning. But I quickly mastered the two chords they used for every song and did the dance steps with them round those ghastly Working Mens' Clubs [shudders]. There was quite the celebration when Reginald signed the recording contract, but when it was time to get in the van for the trip to London, friend Reginald said, not you, specs, and pushed me back over my guitar case. The group drove off laughing and pointing.
FMF©: Must have been traumatic.
RF: Oh, one soldiers on, doesn't one. I'd decided the music business was not for me, and soon found employ as a living garden gnome, hiring myself out to garden parties and fêtes and the like. I'd crouch by ponds dangling my little rod and wink at the girls. It was at one such event that I was spotted by Mickey and Pete Giles. They needed a novelty keyboard player for their musical comedy act, which was a kind of whimsical Footlights thing. So of course one leapt at the opportunity!
FMF©: It's hard to equate this background with the very serious, complex prog-rock world of King Crimson. 
RF: It is? Never thought about it.

Our interview was brought to a natural close by the arrival of his lovely wife, La Toya Wilcox, wheeling in a tea urn.

10 comments:

  1. Fripp a Trogg?!? Come on Farq, next thing you'll be trying to get me to believe is Kenny Rogers recording a psychedelic song and then owning a string of chicken fast food outlets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the very late '60s / very early '70s I used to train-travel to London from the wilds of Shropshire to sleep on the flat floors of flats rented by school friends who had moved to The Big Smoke after A levels. What fun we never had. Dai in one such flat in Stockwell owned the Cheerful Insanity LP. Dai is long-dead and I've often* wondered what happened to that LP.
    Cheers, Peanuts Molloy

    *sometimes^

    ^rarely

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'fessin' up here - I've never heard of Hawksley Workman - ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, interesting you should ask! Hawksley Workman - not his real name - seems to be one of those guys working on the fringes: mainly music, a bit of acting and also an interesting looking book.
      He’s been around the bargain bins and charity shop shelves for years, which is partly where I’ve amassed my small collection of his music. None of his albums are particularly memorable but they’re all good and they’re enjoyable whilst they are playing (which they are currently doing in my house and head).
      Wiki and YouTube will tell you more. I like him; I like his approach and his attitude.
      You might like him too and this seems the sort of site where his name should be shared, possibly.
      Cheers, Peanuts Molloy

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm about half-way-thru my Hawksley Workmarathon listening session and have reached track 8 on the "los manalicious" album. What a track that is. It's like nothin' else he's never done except some other stuff he did, if you get my drift.
      Cheers, Peanuts Molloy.

      Delete
    3. I still ain't heard of him. I feel such a fool.

      Delete
  4. Did Bobby mention how he came to adopt his stool?

    ReplyDelete