Saturday, August 31, 2019

I Think, Therefore I Ambient

Here's a swell record you don't see so much of no more. It's sometimes described as being ahead of its time, but I don't recall any cries of "Hey! Steve! We ain't ready for this! Come back when it's your turn!" Nope, like everything else, it was precisely of its time, conditioned by the same ineluctable concatenation of circumstances that ensure you don't get off at Poughkeepsie when you get on the Gowanus bus.

Hillage made this lovely thing in '79, when ambience was already an established thing in music as well as restaurants and comfort stations, with his main squeeze Miquette Giraudy, a French dame from France, and one tomate chaude. Each side lasts a soothing twenty minutes or so, and is the ideal accompaniment to dawn meditation sessions on the deck, or getting blown by someone you only know from the top of their head. I'm not here to judge.

4 comments:

  1. "or getting blown by someone you only know from the top of their head" Things you should not say when this happens: Gee, that's a hell of a bald spot you got there, babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what it's like to be Steve Hillage. Interesting career, but undervalued. Personally, if I had "done" "It's All Too Much" I would then have sat back and thought, well . . . that should make me rich.
    Cheers, Peanuts Molloy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am selling that at a record fair this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete