Friday, November 20, 2020

Our Back Pages Dept. - Sunset Album Redux

Four Or Five Guy© Tooner left a request for this to be re-upped, and rather than bury it in the sand down there in the comments, I'm bringing it to your attention should you of, like, been in th' shower first time around (unlikely for skunky Pmac, who rinses off a paltry once a week - yeeuch).

[Swell art at left. Click for bigly - Ed.]

I'm also copy-pasting screed so you don't gots to trek away from the comfort zone of this page, ya lazy-ass bum. You can pick your feet in Poughkeepsie while you read it. You gots nuthin' better to do right now and and don't kid yerself.

That Brian Wilson survived the sixties at all is surprising. That he made this music over half a century after the Beach Boys' first album is astonishing. It's evidence that his muse, although taking a well-deserved break from time to time, never left him. No Pressure Radio - credited here to Brian Wilson And The Beach Boys - is an assemblage of songs from That's Why God Made The Radio and No Pier Pressure. I've omitted all the celebrity "feat." team-ups, the up-beat numbers, anything vaguely quirky. And Mike Love, who whines: "I was disappointed with the album's direction. I was denied much songwriting input." Just one of the reasons the album came out as swell as it did, Mike! We cordially urge Mr. Love to get on his motorbike and accelerate up his own ass, forever.

What we're left with is an old man, toes in the sand at sunset, lost in the warmth of the sun. A suite, a hymnal, as full of melody as the beach is full of sand. The subtle quotes from early Beach Boy hits are pitched absolutely right and part of the DNA. The participation of David Marks, Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar is inspired. Carl and Dennis are here in spirit. Bruce Johnston probably wore shorts at the mic, and good for him.

I can't offhand think of another artist who better expressed the euphoria of youth and lived long enough to sing the melancholy of old age so affectingly. Although never a surfer, he made us all feel like we were catching that wave - the giddy rush of sheer teenage fun never sounded so real. And here we are, a lifetime down the line. He's not bitter, angry, or even depressed. He can still write and sing the upbeat stuff (which the world apparently has little use for), but his heart is here, in the acceptance of old age and the world that lives only in glowing memory. And that's what memory can be, as old people know - lit by the warmth of an inner sun.

It's not an album he could ever have released himself - as the Eternal Teenager, he'd get bored with the lack of rock n' roll - but it shows his beautiful soul as transparently as anything he ever did. Fourteen songs, forty-four minutes. Proper album. God, this is beautiful.

Thank you Brian, for everything.


19 comments:

  1. "To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour
    ."



    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for my ignorance, but "re-upped" to where. Would love to listen to this album but vcan't find any link.
    Still hoping...in advance thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stealth Link embedded in the "grain of sand" - full point.

      Delete
  3. FT3
    Brilliant prose, brilliant album, brilliant re-up, brilliant stealth link.
    Thank you Brian and thank you o-master of the isle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take the worst of Brian over the best of anyone else, that's how far gone I am. If I ever have to go on the lam (again), his music is what I'll grab before diving out the window.

      Delete
    2. Ok, ok, enough already, I missed this first time around, you've sold it to me. I'm still enjoying your Holland version (that I'd not heard until it turned up on your foamy island shore a few months ago). Thanks in antis-i-pation.

      Delete
    3. Farq, I agree with Bumppa. Given it one listen and it is superb, all the tracks seem to go together so well. I won't bother to find the originals, I trust you judgement on tracks to omit.

      Delete
    4. It was pretty easy to jettison tracks - they really threw themselves out. More difficult to get the sequencing right, which took a few tries. It's replaced both original sources for me, because it's no-compromise - all the tracks I didn't choose were artistically compromised in some way, either as a sop to Mike Love or commerciality. This album fits right in with the other reconfigurations featured here, all mature masterclasses in pop music for which the Beach Boys don't get enough credit. At their best - and, amazingly, they achieved that with and without Brian at the helm - there is no more beautiful music, in any genre.

      Delete
    5. Alt Holland was mine, Bambi, but I'm happy to hear that you liked it and it keeps spinning on your, erm, digital device of choice, I imagine.

      Farq, I recently listened to the other Brian album this was originally posted with, "Path Of Life", but can't for the life of me find more information on it. Any info on when and for what this was recorded?

      Delete
    6. I saw that the bonus tracks on an extended edition of Lucky Old Sun actually comprised "an album".

      Delete
    7. Ah! Alrighty. I picked up "Lucky Old Sun" as a DVD concert presentation from the bargain bin back in the day and thought that album was nice, but not super memorable. Then again, lots of critics love "Orange Crate Art", his album "with" Van Dyke Parks, but that one always leaves me cold. I mean, it's nice to listen to and all, but nothing besides niceness really sticks with that one.

      So, uhm, speaking of possibly the worst of Brian: Did you actually listen to that album where he is doing Disney movie songs?!?

      Delete
    8. Sorry One Buck Guy, I can't believe I was unfamiliar with the Holland album, and your version is spinning on an 18 year old original iMac G4 (the one that looked like half a football with a screen on top). I didn't want to throw it out, so it is plugged into my hi-fi. It looks rather splendid in a retro way, but was useless for me when I was a commercial illustrator, because you needed up-to-date kit every 3/4 years or so. It's a very wasteful business keeping up with technology.

      Delete
    9. Ha. See, obviously it had to be digital, but it is old school.

      I can understand you wanted to keep it, I keep old stuff that might be useful all the time, unlike our venerable host.

      I'm happy I don't need to be up to date on high tech for my job. I kept a laptop from work from the last lockdown to make sure it has enough processing power for teleteaching without issues...

      Delete
  4. Thank you, sir. And I think Bri and Blake would have a lot to say to eachother...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for this album - I've played it every day since grabbing it and have to say that it's the first time in years that I've felt the need to hear a whole album every day. For me it could be "Surf's Up's" long-lost older and somewhat more battered older brother - and all the better for that. Congrats matey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one fell victim to laptop death. A Christmas reup, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll re-up and put in today's Yule comments with the other one you asked for.

      Delete