Friday, November 13, 2020

Kneckbeard Hipster Dept. - Davis And John Jazztacular!

Jazzbos refer to Miles Davis by his surname, and John Coltrane by his given name. Don't get this wrong! Nothing shames the neophyte like calling them Miles and Coltrane!

Davis' Big Fun album is just that. Critics lament the outtakes, inferior versions, whatever, like they're paid to. None of what they claim to hear is in the groove. This is a monster album. Light on demanding atonality, heavy on harmonic groove. Inventive, varied, tuneful. This is the massively extended edition, two hours and twenty minutes of meditative, mildly psychedelic bliss.

John, as we jazz buffs call him, is represented by Lush Life, which sounds exactly like what John and Jane Q. Public think jazz sounds like. No sheets of sound here - more like pillowcases, and to my old ears all the better for it.

The critics rave: "undergirded by a lightheartedness", "arrangements that emerge singular and clear, never sounding preconceived". Well, golly gee!

18 comments:

  1. To get on board the bus to Jazzville, simply state your favorite girl's name! Oboy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a married man, I'm pleading the 5th on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wait - I mean your favorite name for a girl. Not the name of your favorite girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence, that's my wife's name. Hey, wait a minute.........

      Delete
  4. Some excellent votes here. My money's on Velda. Sudge class! Sophistification out th' ass!

    (Stealth Link embedded in this comment - I bin makin' it too easy fuh youse bums!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listening to Davis as we speak ... I have to say, on mature reflection, it's my favorite of this period. It's listenable in a way Bitches Brew isn't. And this extended version is the way to go. Find somewhere to spend some time with your own bad self, and plug into this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tcw3: i prefer tappin' my toes to On the Corner.

      Delete
    2. Ah-ha. And uh-huh. I remember telling people I liked that album, too. But nobody's tapping their toes to Big Fun - swaying a little, maybe. This is dance music for the synapses.

      Delete
    3. For latter day Davis, I've always been partial to Amandla. It still had the phrasing of Kind of Blue, but incorporated the modern era rhythms. Aw, fuck it, what I meant is, its sounds cool.

      Delete
    4. Hah! We wus seppyrated at boit'! Amandala is my go-to late Miles too, with Tutu in second place.

      Delete
  6. Favorite girl name is love. cause if you can't be with the one you're love, love the one you're with.

    ReplyDelete