Thursday, November 12, 2020

Fountains Of The Dept. of Water & Power Dept.

Beaver & Krause - what were they for? Not hits. Not sold-out concerts coast to coast. Not T.V. and festival appearances. Yet they got a major label contract. There aren't any major labels any more, not in the sense of Warner Brothers, a bunch of hip professionals with access to the best musical, artistic and technical skills and facilities on the planet. Including the great Ed Thrasher, who art directed their Warners releases. These sleeves are gorgeous works of art.

So anyway. Beaver & Krause. Their pioneering use of synthesisers in a synthesis of traditional American music and cutting-edge electronics was seen as musical evolution, a way forward - again, something unimaginable today, when every recording references the past. The future has disappeared for this generation - it's somewhere they'd rather not look. But back then, the future was a good place to be. It was exciting and adventurous and fun.

If these recordings sound dated and even quaint, that's the listener's loss. The experiment was always just that, an experiment. Let's combine this and this and see what happens. Maybe something will grow out of it, something unexpected. It didn't, of course. Music was to turn in on itself in a self-referential möbius strip, and we have to look to the past for the new.

Download includes their Nonesuch Moog demonstration album [not shown - Ed.], half of which George Harrison stole for his Electronic Sound album, where it was as unlistenable as it is here.

10 comments:

  1. To claim your ticket to the future, tell us the most futuristic thing you ever saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Television telephones at the 1964 World Fair in New York. Today it's no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The four wheel steering on my much loved Honda Prelude. Still weirds me out watching the back wheels steer in the opposite direction to the front ones. Thats at low speed. They turn in the same direction as the front ones at high speed, which makes the car corner like its on rails. That and my jetpack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our first family television arrived in 1953. One of the earliest sci-fi shows was called "I Tobor", featuring a creepy robot (tobor, get it?) whose image I have never forgotten. Soon after that I went to the movies with older cousins to see "It Came From Outer Space" - terrifying to a kid, it's still the most optimistic space flick this side of ET and Close Encounters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Futuristic? My Ouija board tells me I can look forward to a Tonto's Expanding Head Band post in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most futuristic thing I ever saw, and held in my clumsy hands, was the blue Futurama 3 guitar that my dad conjured from nowhere when I was 13, 14 years old, with its three rocker switches giving on/off options for each pickup.

    I have no idea where it went but I wish it was still with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a Futurama! Don't know the model, but it had maybe eight tone control switches (the litle sliding button type), one of which was called Dog Bark. I also remember it had a "King" neck, which was very impressive.

      Delete
  7. Most futuristic thing I ever saw was the moon landing. This may be the point in history when everything started to go backward.

    Link Du Jour of th' day:




    ReplyDelete