Saturday, October 5, 2019

"I Love You, I Hate You, Drop Dead!"

Artie Shaw was by some way the hippest, talented, and most interesting white bandleader dude of his era. I have to say white because, well, Count Basie. Shaw was far from the then generic grinning stick-wavers getting up on their hind legs to play that Big Hit one more time for the dancefloor. He was the Tortured Artist, the real deal. Biographically, you need to know that he left home at sixteen to play clarinet in a band.

Sixteen.

Everything (and there's a shitload of everything) follows from that. He was a fine actor, with matinee idol looks, and a real writer (the title of this piece is one of his books). At the height of success, the Brinks truck backed up to his house daily to shovel cash through the door. But. "I thought that because I was Artie Shaw I could do what I wanted, but all they wanted was Begin the Beguine". His own chosen theme tune was Nightmare, which still has the dark power to chill. To avoid getting pigeonholed, he formed and disbanded lineups frequently, often creating bands-within-a-band. A very difficult man, he married eight times.

Eight.

Including Lana Turner and Ava Gardner (who broke Sinatra's heart, th' poor slob). Oh - and Shaw could play the clarinet - a notoriously demanding instrument - better than anyone, before or since. He died at ninety-four years old, having lived the life that died with him. There were giants in those days; today's pop culture is a shadow of the glittering world that produced artists like Shaw. His difficult nature would be too problematic for Millennials, and his music still - right now - has more life and urgency and beauty in it than anything they can hope to achieve.

Here's the Complete Grammercy Five recordings for youse. Scarf 'em up.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this and thank you for most, if not all, of your offerings. Time doesn't seem to allow me to find myself here often nor reply, cleverly and/or sincerely. When I do make it here, I enjoy what I read and when I can download and listen, enjoy what I hear. Cha, cha, cha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognize your tone, Mr Anonymous, and thank you for your continued patronage! Drop by any time!

      Delete
  2. I'm reconsidering my life choices now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know how that works out for you, Dave!

      Delete
    2. well ... sadly, not so well. I bought a used clarinet at the local pawn shop, left my family and most of my belongings behind, and hit the road for fame, fortune and beautiful Hollywood dames. Still waiting for the Brinks truck to roll up to my humble cardboard abode under the freeway overpass. Apparently the market for tortured clarinet "players" is not what it used to be ... or maybe you just need to know how to do more than make it squeal like deflating a balloon? (I thought that was still "in" these days?!?!). I'm using the few hours a day that I'm not standing by the off ramp for spare change or scrounging dumpsters behind Denny's practicing my craft so I am still optimistic that my fortune will soon change and that I too will be talk of town and worthy of your adulation. If I can manage to recharge this phone, the last vestige of my former life as a middle-class white collar suburban family man (e.g. "square"), I will attempt to stay in touch. Wish me luck!!

      Delete
    3. Very tempted at this point to join the Illuminati who continue to woo me with incredible offers of fame, fortune, and power! I always wanted to be an Illuminatis and now they have invited me to join them! The annual feast of harvest is almost at hand!! I feel that the fates are finally on my side!
      "the great illuminati district offers you a life time opportunity of making your heart desires come true.." Watch for the meteoric rise of this clarinetist and his entourage of beautiful starlets on TMZ soon!

      Delete
    4. Mr Dave, you are clearly at home at Th' House O'Foam©, a "house of visions at the top of the hill", as Shawn Phillips said (or it may have been Trini Lopez). If we're all very quiet - and that includes the Illuminati spambot - I can hear your clarinet way out here, on the perimeter, where there are no stars.

      Delete