Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Da Boids Is Da Woid Part I

An eon ago in internet terms, maybe even years, some diligent fan and archivist labored to assemble the ultimate Byrds project - a complete set of Byrds albums, each with all the available relevant associated material added. All official recordings, no dodgy boots, the whole deal. It was an incredible undertaking, and may be the last woid on Da Boids.

Here's the first album in the series, thirty-six (count 'em) tracks of Mr. Tambourine Man material, each song tagged with provenance. It's one of those music blog clichés (sorry - tropes - almost had my Rock Writer card revoked) to "thank the original uploader", but here we need to. Outstanding work, sir!

A note about the cover - a beautiful example of Corporate Art Department expertise from '65, the genesis of the cultural decade of the sixties, which lasted until '75. It's so obviously not like anything that came before - it's not a jazz album, not a rock n' roll album. Everything about it is just perfect. And that lens distortion was something new - six whole months before the Beetles caught up with Rubber Soul.

12 comments:

  1. and thanks to the re-blogger as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Mr. Farquhar Throckmorton III,

    So nice of you to post this collection of Byrds tracks. I'm looking forward to additional volumes. I have an 8 CD (there is ninth wghich is a best of the first 8) collection of the early Byrds recording sessions. The tracks are listed at:
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Byrds-Journals/release/4385752
    Should you be interested I would be glad to rip and post these discs.

    PS: I'm very happy to know that you enjoyed the Timbercreek that I posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob! I have 79 early-byrd tracks, which I might up later. So wait and see if the tally with yours before doing all that ripping and posting. But It'll be much later, because we have to serve up the "complete" album discography first.

      That Timbercreek Live album is an absolute beauty - listening to it now as I gaze out over the Mekong river in a heat haze.

      Delete
    2. FYI - Journals is multiple takes of tracks from the first 3 (“Mr. Tambourine Man”, “Turn Turn Turn” and “Fifth Dimension”) album sessions, not Pre-Flyte material.

      Delete
    3. Right, by all means rip n'up if you want to leave a link in the comments, but I think it may be a little too specialized for a blog piece. Thanks for the offer!

      Delete
  3. Unless someone requests the set, I'll skip it.

    PS: Nice cover for the live Timbercreek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this but I noticed a couple of the tracks that are supposed to be mono are actually stereo. "Bells of Rhymney" and "Spanish Harlem Incident".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Call me a Byrd Brain, but, just to "Leaves" (Whoops, wrong L.A. also-rans) a message here to alert the fly-bys, THIS and all the other super Byrds sets shred here are still "active" on Zippyswear.

    Now 'scuse me while I go queue up a "Hey Joe"-a-thon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, indeed. SHARED not "SHRED"...

    Sheesh.

    Nothing here - EVER! - deserves the chipper shredder treatment...!

    Typo-Patroller, over & out!

    ReplyDelete