Thursday, October 17, 2019

Buyer's Remorse Dept. - Guest Contributor: Ed.

Ed, yesterday
Our FalseMemoryFoam© editor-in-chief Ed hosts today's Buyer's Remorse feature. Ed graduated summa cum laude in Phys. Ed. from Bryn Mawr in 1965, much to the surprise of the faculty. "We had no idea he was there," says then Principal Hildegaard Öberstrangle.

Today, our under-the-counterculture icon resides in a dumpster duplex in the FMF© lot here in bosky downtown Las Vegas, NV. We free him from his parenthetical manacles to talk about a couple of albums that caused him sickness of heart.

"I was working at a Goodwill store, and I'd liberate all the righteous-looking albums before they went on sale. The Fifth Avenue Band was one of those alarm klaxon finds. 1969, Spoonful connections, Greenwich Village ... this has to be great, right? Wrong. It doesn't stink. It's not even bad enough for me to donate back. It's okay. But, you know, it was free, so no complaints from me, and you neither, thank you.

Today's other Disc O' Disappoint© is the third Ultimate Spinach album. I'd admired the first two for their brazen, artless approach to psychedelia, but this one? Skunk Baxter's on board. Maybe for the view. Groovy cover. I want to have it, but I don't need to hear it. Same as you."


9 comments:

  1. I'm not getting Cody to upload these unless there's a demand (one request counts).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have unfortunately heard these albums in the past. These were both lousy records, no make that awful records. I heard these when they came out. That's what happens when you work in a music store. There is so much dreck compared to what is good. Do NOT make Cody upload these, no one should have to endure the pain of listening to these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please post these LPs?
    Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good man, Stathis! Uploading duties keep Cody's mind off her carnal desire for me, so I thank you for the respite.

      Mediocritical mass


      Delete
  4. what I remember from the day is perhaps THE WORST criteria I can use after 50 years of worse stuff....& the brainwashing that the music industry performed on us in "the g(l)ory of the fm top 500 playlist. Everything from the less encumbered days deserves at least ...another play. Thanks for your efforts- every day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowing nothing about the music, I went in search of the location for the cover shoot of the The Fifth Avenue Band:

    https://ny.eater.com/2011/6/29/6673317/remembering-delmonicos-new-yorks-original-restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  6. I no longer own any physical-stuff music, having sold all my vinyl and CDs off to a dealer a decade ago, a lifetime collection I thought it would break my heart to lose (along with several thousand books), but no. Since then I've replayed my album-hunting days from right here, finding most - but not all - of that vinyl stash out there in the foam. Without the tactile element, without the gnarly human scuzz of the places I used to haunt. But the music is still right here, as real as it ever was, whenever I hear it. And albums like these, which I bought without thinking back in the day - early/mid seventies, mostly, when they were cheap as paper cups - still have some kind of immortal value, being made by human beings as a result of community living and lives shared without stroking a fucking phone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you've just reminded me,there was a really good track on the fifth ave album ..first track possibly can't remember the title but i need to hear it.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks but nothing on there i recognise....gotta keep lookin i'll find it somewhere !!

    ReplyDelete