Thursday, July 14, 2022

Straight Outta The New York York School Of Abstract Expressionism Dept.

Jon Pousette-Dart's dad was a big noise in New York Abstract Expressionism, and expected him to take up the brush and join the family business. "He'd be flinging paint on a canvas, smearing it about," laughs Jon today, "saying things like, it's money in the bank, son! The saps lap it up! But I always wanted to be a soft rock singer-songwriter. Oh, we'd fight about it. I was too good for abstract expressionism, too proud to get my hands dirty. Yadda yadda. Typical father-son generational disconnect."


But Jon had country-inflected soft rock burning in his blood, and was soon playing in a band called Tony And The Tigers, with Tony and Hunt Sales. "Their dad, T.V.'s Soupy Sales, wanted them to join the family business as television comedians, but like me, they rebelled," laughs Jon today. "As Dylan said, we were the young generation, and we had something to say."


Tony and Hunt went on to play with David Bowie [as Metal Machine - Ed.], while Jon formed The Pousette-Dart Band and recorded a bunch of albums for Capitol, and is today still making swell music under his own name, Jon Pousette-Dartband.


Today's Sarabande O' Soft Rock™ is a scented nosegay of their four albums plus the relatively hard-to-find Archives set, which includes a live disc with Little Feat. But - caveat griftor - exactly who and what Little Feat were at the time is unclear. Don't expect any Lowell George.




This post funded in part by The Peggy Guggenheim Foundation For Fucking Anybody Who Stands Still Long Enough.









30 comments:

  1. Leave us give Babs a break from chairin' th' Mass Debate today. Topic du jour o' th' day is - did you have a childhood ambition? What did you want to be when you grew up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a television actress. On Tuesday, October 20th 1987, my wish came true, when I was interviewed regarding; Monday, October 19, 1987.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 508 points (22.6%), making it the largest one-day drop by percentage in the index's history. Federal Reserve provided market liquidity to meet the unprecedented demands for credit.

      Delete
  3. I wanted to be a cartoonist but I ended up writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why Farq's mother had to tie a pork chop around his neck -- so the dog would play with him.

      Delete
    2. You ended up writing the same comment twice, is what you ended up.

      Delete
    3. I wanted to be a cartoonist too, Clarence. I couldn't draw, which was a significant drawback.

      Delete
    4. Farq, how do you know I'm speaking of the same mother and same dog?

      Delete
    5. Jonder, look at some cartoons and drawing is merely second to a good idea or premise.

      Delete
    6. There are a few New Yorker cartoonists whose only drawing ability is top dollar.

      Delete
  4. I haven't quite decided yet but I'll be sure to let you know when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to be a paleontologist, but just for kicks. - konrad useo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to be a singer /Guitar /Harmonica player,devastated to learn from others I was tone deaf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to be an Egyptologist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was about six, seven, my older sister asked me what I was going to be when I grew up, and I said "a writer". Finding this idea very amusing, she asked me what I was going to call myself (as apparently my name wasn't suitable), and I said Elson Quick. I have no idea where the name came from, but that's what I said, and she never forgot. Spool forward a few decades, and I get Baddha published, and I choose Elson Quick as my pseudoplume, reverse-engineering the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah - anybody want these long-playing LP recordings, SPEAK UP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'll give them a listen.
      I always confuse The Pousette-Dart Band with Aztec Two Step. Songs I think are The Pousette-Dart Band's turn out to be Aztec Two Step, and vice versa.

      Delete
    2. https://falsememoryfoam.blogspot.com/2020/06/gimme-two-steps.html

      Delete
  10. This has nothing to do with today's music or Mass Debate. I just discovered this compilation album (released in 2004), and thought that others would enjoy the unintentional humor. You can stream it here:

    https://www.sunnyboy66.com/various-juddy-in-the-sky-with-nazis-rare-60s-worldwide-garage-surf-rock-roll-music-bands-album-compilation/

    You can read about it here:

    https://showcase.thebluebus.nl/soundtrack-of-my-life/december-2007/juddy-in-the-sky-with-nazis

    Keep the download on the lowdown. Nobody likes a Nazi.

    https://krakenfiles.com/view/kNG2eai2CO/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, jeez, Jonder...I'm in the middle of digitizing the syndicated radio shows that I'm going to clean up over the next year. I do this while the grandson is in Seattle.

      Anyway...down in the basement I've got boxes of cassettes that I'm going to get to...and in there, somewhere...is the unknown Japanese blues band doing phonetically recreated American R&B. Wild stuff, it's almost English but isn't.

      Now I've got to track this tape down and get it digitized, too!

      Delete
    2. That sounds great! I have great respect for people who know more than one language. Having said that, I find mistranslations very entertaining.

      Delete
  11. Good Humor Man...still. Would love the LPs Farq...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incidentally, I am disappoint that Babs didn't want to be a Marine Biologist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ceramics. In high school, I took a class and had a talent for it. Sold my work in local stores, street fairs. Parents refused my request for art school. I gave it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Renaissance Man: writer, musician, auteur, artist. But not a musician who writes, or a film maker that plays music -- I wanted to be respected as an innovator independently in each field. Needless to say, it didn't pan out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's any consolation, I revere you for your pan-discipline artistic genius.

      Delete
  15. Anybody coming here after clicking the link in Aloha! who wants the music is urged to request an upload in the comments to that piece.

    ReplyDelete