Friday, July 29, 2022

Begging For Mersey Dept.

The Koobas/Kubas were a beat group straight outta Liverpool onto the Reeperbahn, and they had everything but the breaks. By the time their eponymous album limped out in '69, they'd already broken up.

This pimped version is retitled/recovered. The cringe-inducing and jaw-droppingly inappropriate "humorous" interludes and funny voices have been edited out - too late! The damage is done! A couple of tracks - a ho-hum cover of A Little Piece Of My Heart, and an ill-advised and over-long concept piece about a circus - called Circus - are replaced by a couple of B sides; the monster freakbeat Face, and the strangely lovely Woe Is Love, My Dear. Both these tracks are a tad rougher in quality, but they're the best I could find.

In this form, it's an unfeasibly tough-sounding album, with memorable original songs and a yearning edge to the vocals, and should have done better. Trying to lighten the mood with the funny stuff didn't help, nor did the banality of the original cover and the crippling absence of a hit tune. But it's a swell late 'sixties U.K. pop-rock album you'll be proud to play at your next Visualization Workshop.

Both album sleeve and rip are at the low, low quality you've come to demand from the best in our-type entertainment!



21 comments:

  1. Interestingly, the Koobas covered a song called "Woe is Love My Dear" on a B side in 1967. That same year, the song appeared on Bert Jansch's album "Nicola". I wonder if one of them inspired the other to cover it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Jansch wrote it. Interesting that they picked up a Jansch song.

      Delete
    2. It's on this album, Steve, as noted in the screed. A gorgeous tune. They had a lot of flexibility, from the furious Face to the folky Woe.

      Delete
    3. I obviously didn't read the screed carefully enough...

      Delete
    4. It's a long piece. I can quite see why you blacked out before reaching the second para.

      Delete
    5. Hey Farq, I'm begging for the download, I've heard they did a great track about a circus, I think it was called "circus". Can't wait to hear it.

      Delete
  2. Apropos of nothing: Keith Ellis went on to play with the early Van der Graaf Generator…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I read somewhere that he was on tour with Iron Butterfly when he died?

      Delete
    2. Hadn't heard that before, but you're right.

      Delete
  3. When I'm puttin' together some tunes to brighten my day, "A Place I Know" is always, always on the list. Thanks for these tunes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just played it on discogs, sounds good, I'll have to look out some more Koobas

      Delete
    2. You might try downloading this album Just a suggestion.

      Delete
    3. Hey, thanks, you've saved me a trip into town to scour Woolies for it. Money saving tips like that, make this site so very special. It's like mumsnet for chaps.

      Delete
  4. Gave it a listen on my morning walk. Interesting (in a good way) record.
    Thanks, Farq!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a kind of melancholy I find attractive in these, the Last Days of the world. And I love that Keith Ellis bass sound.

      Delete
    2. Mose had the right idea"
      "Ever since the world ended,
      I don't go out as much.
      People that I once befriended
      Just don't bother to stay in touch.
      Things that used to seem so splendid
      Don't really matter today.
      It's just as well the world ended--
      It wasn't working anyway.
      Every since the world ended,
      There's no more bible belt.
      Remember how we all pretended?
      Going 'round, lying 'bout the way we felt.
      Every rule has been amended,
      There's no one keeping score.
      It's just as well the world ended
      We couldn't have taken much more.
      Ever since the world ended,
      There's no more black or white.
      Ever since we all got blended,
      There's no more reason to fuss and fight.
      Dogmas that we once defended
      No longer seem worthwhile.
      Ever since the world ended,
      I face the future--
      With a smile."

      Delete