Thursday, July 7, 2022

Play Some New! Dept. - Torschlusspanik

If you can remember what you came into the room for, and which pants you got on without looking, you might recall The Fernweh's superswell first album being FoamFeatured® antecedently. It's unlikely. In the veritable smörgasbörd tsunami of deliverables here on th' IoF©, you probably missed it. If you can work up the energy and the interest, go here to marvel at the lost age of zero comments. I knew you'd turn up eventually - and here you are!

Well, the guys have come up with what deep thinkers love to call their sophomore effort. They've lost none of their gift for making fantastic music, but they've retained their skill for bowling shoe ugly sleeves. This [left - Ed.] is my alternative, using an AI text-to-image app. 

It's hard to know where to begin. They get everything right. And they make every other group on the planet sound like they're not trying. There's so much going on in here, at every level, and it's so well executed, so damn smart. "We don't need no procrastinaaaaai ..." they sing on the thumping first track, finishing the word a few beats later - "... shun". Smartasses. And then the epic chorus and the woo-woos, and a gnarly guitar solo, and an unexpected coda (is that a cello?) into the insouciant lope of the second track. If you start listening, the chances are you'll play it right through - they make it easy for you. Melody, variety, lyrical skill, imaginative arrangements using a wide palette of instrumental color, and slyly addictive vocals - this is a proper twelve-song album of great pop music, and you'll maybe even buy it, if you dig it, which would be groovy, wouldn't it?


Included at no extra cost to you, Mr. and Mrs. Freeloading-Grifter of Anytown U.S.A., is the first album you missed [at left - Ed.], both at the low, low bitrate you've come to admire for its bluecollar honesty. Wotta time to be alive!


Torschlusspanik means "bezeichnet umgangssprachlich eine auftretende Angst, etwas zu verpassen."







37 comments:

  1. In what?

    What's your favorite summer alcoholic drink?

    ReplyDelete
  2. JD Tennessee Honey Bourbon and a BOLD ginger ale!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to tend bar. I did not keep up with current liquor trends; I stopped buying booze about the time Zima was a "thing" in the mid 1990s. I am slightly baffled when I take a shortcut down the liquor aisle; while 95% of it are spirits similar to those I once poured, there's a What The Hell? aspect to a few things that makes me wonder if these are an American affectation, or if this stuff has gone worldwide.

    Which leads me to ask the U.K. contingent: do you have Micheladas in cans on your precious stone set in the silver sea? Any cinnamon flavored bourbon whisky on the scepter'd isle? Over here, cider has made huge inroads; so much so that when I witnessed my daughter take her first legal drink, it was hard cider. You couldn't have bought such a thing anywhere in the state when I turned 21.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once got so drunk on homemade cider I spent two days and nights lying on my back in a field welcoming a death which never came.

      Delete
    2. I've never spotted Micheladas in the shops in the UK, but if I do I'll give it a try.

      Delete
  4. Bacon PB HighballJuly 7, 2022 at 8:11 AM

    Myers Rum & Tonic Water with lime if you please, Mr. (or Ms.) Tarbender !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tarbender ..." mmm ... you may see that again here ...

      Delete
  5. Cruzan rum & cranberry juice - the best summer drink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When it's really warm - a nice cold beer.

    Otherwise, the same as it ever was. A nice gazoile (pastis and coke).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My rum punch - white rum, good orange juice, cane sugar syrup, lime juice and lots of ice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cider if it's really hot.
    The beer revolution has meant that there is often a beer suitable for summer consumption though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyway - this here is the link, the link is here and here it is.

    https://workupload.com/file/Z85uqeWY664

    ReplyDelete
  10. i don't care what people drink as long as i can enjoy watching them pass out face down in their own puke. if it was good enough for me, then it's good enough for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On a train journey to a gig a few years ago I was introduced to Gin & Tonic in a can, I thought this was another sign that civilization was doomed, but I was pleasantly surprised. Usually on train journeys to gigs we would have a couple of 'train beers' purchased in advanced, the G&T in a can was actually ideal for this, however I think we had the beers as well. Hic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just read another post about this band at the Burning Wood blog. Sal noted that "Torschlusspanik" literally means "gate-shut-panic." (I love the way that Germans build words.) "Apparently the term dates back to the Middle Ages in reference to the panic medieval peasants might have experienced as they rushed to make it back inside the city gates before they closed at nightfall."

    A commenter added that "In modern German Torschlusspanik is said in reference to a woman dropping her standards to find a man while she can still have a child. For example, if an attractive woman in her 30s is dating a much less attractive (or otherwise desirable) man than she can, her catty coworkers might say, 'Hey, Torschlusspanik oder was?' (The metaphorical door is closing.)" How sweet of them!

    https://burnwoodtonite.blogspot.com/2022/07/whats-fernweh-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. thks fr msc
    Torschlusspanik means "city gates are closing really soon ..."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yukon Jack......IPA chaser.....
    Scott1669

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please do give this disc a tentative spin. You'll get out what they put in, which is many shitloads. It sends the needle on th' Swell-O-Meter® into the red.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy the frequent IPA and occasional moscow mule

    ReplyDelete
  17. Right, youse lazyasses. We're not moving on to Steve's screed about The Cardiacs (an arresting read) until one or more of th' 4/5g© lissens to The Fernweh and comments thereupon. Simply pick one of the following options and copy-paste it into your comment!

    A Only played the first three songs before I had to take me axolotl to the clinic/unblock the septic tank but sounded okay I guess.
    b The Fernweh deliver a fine sophomore effort, referencing familiar tropes in their signature style.
    3 I'm, like, meh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just downloaded and listening to the first track - so far so good!! How come I've only just heard of this lot?? As for drinks - well it's usually summer all year down here - but I am rather partial to a Regency (Thai brandy) and coke!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hear the ghost of Beatles/Moody Blues/Beach Boys/Roy Harper/David Bowie and I thank you for putting this up,both albums will get a go in the car soon.They sure flew under the ears of many a good judge of mind altering sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first is a little softer, folkier maybe, and the second a liitle less softer and folkier maybe. What lyrics I can catch on the second suggest a bit of political anger, but it's not overt and there's no up-against-the-wall-motherfuckers exhorting.

      Delete
  20. I've just played 5 random tracks and I like it, but will need to live with them for a few days. It's a goody I recon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really enjoying the first album - haven't got to the second one yet.
    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update - I prefer the debut album. It's only marginal though. I really like these guys.

      Delete
    2. My feelings exactly. Although I'd be perfectly happy with the follow-up if that's all there was. It's good that they changed approach for the second album, and it'll probably grow on me, as did the first.

      Delete
    3. Yes agree chaps, that first album is really great on first listening, seems they've released quite a lot subsequently.

      Delete