Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Voodoo Soup At Jimi's Last Supper

Moebius masterpiece

Having kept a relatively low profile - willingly or not - since Midnight Lightning, Alan Douglas [below - Ed.] stirred things up again with his interpretation of Hendrix’s missing fourth studio album. Hendrix was considering First Rays Of The New Rising Sun as a title, and while this is a little unwieldy, it still seems preferable to the mildly puzzling Voodoo Soup. But there’s an unappreciated humility in the choice of title - right up-front, Douglas is saying, “this isn’t First Rays - that’s something only Hendrix knew about.” Under any name, the album’s still a monster, and by far the most successful of all the post-mortem attempts to give the First Rays material a coherent sound and flow.

Douglas tells me: “I decided to use Voodoo Soup to make peace, bring everybody together, make everybody happy. I called Eddie Kramer, I called Mitch Mitchell, bring them in, and let’s all produce this thing of Jimi’s together. Because from my point of view this feels like the last one, I’d completed most of what I set out to do. Eddie Kramer came to see me, I said, you choose your songs, I’ll choose mine, the ones we agree on, those are what we’ll do. The lists were pretty close ...”

Douglas dries at this point. “I can’t get into too much detail, because it’s going to sound nasty, but I called my engineer to ready the tapes we agreed on, and Eddie Kramer went over to listen to them. My engineer called me next day, told me Kramer had turned up with his friend, John McDermott, and they didn’t want to listen to the tapes I told him to play for them, and what’s going on? So I called Mr. Kramer, and he said, no, no, that’s not true, I’m going back tonight, it’ll be okay. But the same thing happened again, they didn’t listen to what was on our list, they had some agenda of their own, and Kramer went back to New York. So I wrote him a letter, politely telling him I didn’t think we’d be able to work together, thank you for coming, etcetera, and he wrote me back - and if I’d kept this letter I’d have saved myself a lot of problems - asking to come back to the gig. Now, McDermott - I know this guy. he used to be a collector in Boston, I used to give him stuff - he wrote his book, Setting The Record Straight, without talking to me, without asking me anything. I mean, why not? I was there, I was part of it, and I could have given him a lot of first-hand information. But he didn’t call me. So I can see a lot of mistakes, a lot of hearsay in that book.”

It’s all a long time ago now, and Douglas’s frustration is dulled by acceptance that the record, far from being straight, is warped, and that’s the album people like to listen to.

“So anyway, Mitch Mitchell and I were good friends, we’d been hanging out together three, four nights a week when Jimi was alive, so I call him up, tell him I’m trying to get the whole family together again, and he comes over from Amsterdam or wherever it was he was living. And we’re in the studio, I put Stepping Stone up on the machine, with Buddy Miles’s drum track, the one Jimi stripped in but still wasn’t happy with. I said, the drums are all set up in the next room, you ready to do this? And he said ... No. I don’t think I can.”

At that time, Mitchell had a well-known drink problem that clearly distresses Douglas to talk about (he refers to it as a "health issue"), but it's central to understanding why Mitchell didn’t participate in the new mixes. For far too long Douglas has been lambasted for keeping Mitchell away from the project, when the reverse is the truth. I'm going against Douglas's wishes here by being specific about the health issue, but it's out here on the internet already - Mitchell's alcoholism isn't exactly a family secret. What is a secret is Douglas's inclusive approach and his discretion.

We know that Hendrix wasn’t happy with either of the drum tracks for Stepping Stone. We know now that Douglas brought Mitchell in to play new parts on the album, but Mitch didn’t feel he was up to it. And we should know that Bruce Gary is a fine drummer. This is the definitive version of Stepping Stone, and the screeches of outrage from the Hendrix obsessives (who can’t stand that Gary played with The Knack, for some reason) are beginning to sound very thin indeed. Gary co-produced the album with Douglas, and was there when Mitchell ducked out, and he nails it in one take. And gets a shitload of abuse for it. That’s fans for you - the same people who side with the talentless grifters posturing as "The Hendrix Estate". There's a lot of magic in that word estate - it gives an entirely unwarranted impression of wise and benign stewardship. Fans love estates.

The New Rising Sun makes for a hypnotic instrumental overture, and the feeling is immediate, and thrilling. Hendrix plays drums - with a simple touch that neither Mitchell or Miles had - and gets that epic outer-space under-water guitar feel with Uni-Vibe/Leslie effects. Total Hendrix, tripped-out and blissful, and this version is unavailable elsewhere. It shimmers and blurs into Belly-Button Window Again, Douglas pulls off an audacious programming stunt by cross-fading the cosmically out there opener into the most intimately in here song Hendrix ever recorded. The genesis of the new rising sun leads to a very human, and uncertain, birth. This is a small touch of genius, and to follow it up with the punch of Stepping Stone shows Hendrix couldn’t have a better hand on the controls. Already, we know this is an album, not a bunch of tapes thrown into a hat.

It doesn't even try to be complete catalog of tracks from the era, so there are inevitable omissions - fuel for the "I know better" fans - but the programming is an object lesson in pacing and dynamics. There’s not a weak moment in the entire album, and, thanks to the Mark Linett mix and Joe Gastwirt mastering, the songs sound brand new (no tapes were used as they came out of the box). Nothing drags, and the album ends as strongly as it started. A whole new Hendrix album. The real deal.

In spite of the predictable panic incontinence from the obsessives (who believed they’d been denied the “real album”), Voodoo Soup was a commercial and critical success. The sheer quality of the album was undeniable. Charles Shaar Murray wrote that it “more than earns its place in the pantheon of great Hendrix albums” and that it “brought the Hendrix studio quartet -finally!- to a satisfactory conclusion.”

If this album, exactly as is, had been released during Hendrix’s short lifetime, criticism would be unthinkable, and it would be loved and praised as the culmination of his studio output, entirely the equal of the first three. All subsequent attempts to produce a Hendrix album are dull, curiously lifeless things in comparison, and sometimes, unforgivably, boring to sit through. And although the emphasis in this piece may appear to be on Douglas, it’s not him we’re listening to. Voodoo Soup is one hundred per cent concentrated James Marshall Hendrix; funky, alive, thrilling, and as beautiful as the new rising sun. And, as far as I know, out of print since its 1995 release.



Sleeve notes: The superb French artist Moebius did better studies of Hendrix than this - such as the one at the head of this piece. The narrow crop is unsatisfactory (the image is a detail of an already-used gatefold cover) and it's hard to imagine anyone but a Frenchman finding the image of Hendrix eating soup of interest. A missed opportunity.



With thanks and a tip of th' hipster beret to Alan Douglas. Major, major dude.

31 comments:

  1. I thought I had this in my collection, but it was First Rays instead.
    Please take me down Memory Lane with a link...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this album. It sounds great, is full of great songs and is programmed with thoughtfulness. I've read some hatchet job reviews which made me angry because they were clearly not reviewing the album but running Alan Douglas down and trying to boost Janie and the subsequent reissues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things I could tell you about Janie.

      Delete
    2. Experience Hendrix...worse than the Zappa Family Trust by all accounts.

      Delete
  3. Wtf where is the link mfs? Anyway thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember buying Greatest hits, then the three Experience albums in the early 80's, and being told about the 'dodgy' posthumous albums, some were worse than others. Pre cd days, I bought the Isle of Wight single vinyl album, very disappointed, two Curtis Knight albums 'featuring' JH, very disappointed, but three others were rather good, Hendrix in The West, Nine to The Universe, and Monterey, one side Hendrix, the other Otis Redding.

    The first bootleg I bought, a tape of Live in Sweden 1967.

    Since CD days I think the quality of Hendrix stuff is generally great (Blues!), even though I've not kept any on CD - so I wait in antisi....pation to hear this again, please.

    Love the Moebius illustrations btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the greatest hits with the Fluck and Law artwork, still my go to LP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here we go:

    https://workupload.com/file/pWg6hGHVD3v

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw Jimi twice.

    The first time was in September of '68 in San Bernardino, CA. Vanilla Fudge, Soft Machine opened in the show.

    The second time was in April of '70 in Inglewood, CA. at The Forum. Buddy Miles and another band (Fat Mattress?) opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only once for me - Spalding Barbecue May 1967. On the bill were also Cream, the Move, Pink Floyd, Zoot Money and Geno Washington. Didn't manage to see the Floyd as the doors weren't open so they played to a mainly empty hall - and I use the term "hall" advisedly. It was a tin barn.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbeque_67

      Delete
    2. We must have seen him at about the same time, Steve. With The Move, Pink Floyd, at the old Marquee. What I remember of it is mostly being deafened.

      Delete
  8. Collection of 8 ebooks about Jimi.

    https://workupload.com/file/86wmH4wrseX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think "Soup" (as we hep cats call it) is as good an attempt as any at a possible 4th album and it's nicely mixed.

    If I was rejigging it, I'd be inclined to add in a Dylan cover - "Drifter's Escape" and also a blues - probably "Hear My Train a Comin'". I'm thinking that perhaps it might have been a double along the lines of "Ladyland". Timewise, for double vinyl, that would have worked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i saw him in chicago. i thought purple haze was a great pop single. the rest of the music he left behind was (to me ) pretty forgettable. his being considered one of the world's greatest guitarists is (to me ) truly baffling.

    it seems like people equate his image with his music.

    he had a great image and mildly interesting music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all a matter of taste - as always.

      Delete
    2. I'm not interested - and never have been - in how technically good a guitarist he was. What he had - and it comes across in his albums - was the sheer visceral thrill of rock and roll. His showmanship is in the tradition of T-Bone Walker and Chuck Berry, nothing new. His playing is based in the blues, and he doesn't bring anything radical to the well-established form - you can't. But when I heard that first album, it scared the living shit out of me like no other record. It sounded dangerous and wild, like he didn't give a fuck what anyone thought. He made everyone else look and sound as if they were entertainment for our parents - even the Stones were acceptable in comparison.

      And he was a better songwriter, and a better singer, than he's given credit for. I listen to all his albums with as much pleasure as ever. But nothing "curated" by "the estate", thank you. They make listening to Hendrix like looking into a glass case at a museum, and not one of their concoctions is any more authentic (or more "what Jimi wanted") than the Douglas records. Douglas kept the thrill alive in Voodoo Soup.

      Delete
    3. Senor Depravos - I'm with you to some extent. For me, Hendrix has never been about the music. Sure, there is some great rock stuff (Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile) and some terrific blues ( Red House, Hear My Train) but for me Hendrix' appeal was much more about being a young black guy playing electric guitar and being popular with it: perhaps here in the UK we could enjoy him more because we didn't have the same racial bs to get over but he was ADORED here. No doubt about it. I mean, he had the looks, the skills, the hair, the lot. Wowsa!

      Delete
    4. "perhaps here in the UK we could enjoy him more because we didn't have the same racial bs to get over" -- perhaps not the same bs, but a rich history of racial bs to call your own.

      Delete
    5. My comment was only in relation to music. Our history is certainly rich and varied with its fair share of hypocrisy, posturing, discrimination and disadvantage with a smattering of moments to be proud of.

      Delete
  11. The Complete Axis: Bold As Love Outtakes

    Olympic Sound Studios, London
    May 4, 1967 to November 13, 1967

    https://mega.co.nz/#!OEUSVByS!fvlj-CElvErghVekBt9S7hh7LlQMxCK678F4VEOyjYM

    https://mega.co.nz/#!bJFTQC4J!NrSUyV9Rvhcnk7GDBN6CWn9MOlhWh3YSeAQYyip_3Ic

    https://mega.co.nz/#!iYkSiAAK!CJxkQh73cwMvAcBPXb98UVe2Ct5ejUkuWtrqAQlCZYA

    https://mega.co.nz/#!mIcCnKaK!T_kxNyKSeh1-GyDA-yAPn2o_i5kB-WwpHo4efZic6Ow

    https://mega.co.nz/#!HAdDiZ7b!SPYWEzd-NpnEjZM1NTU0BnqLtPQJS0RO7iAS0jdhwZo

    https://mega.co.nz/#!GJdlSQIK!DXzd3AiugKZyyFlBAxNGNEX-NxdyVqijKw7wQT32cus

    https://mega.co.nz/#!iZNyVDQR!H3nseiOPr3Ttz-PxHEIn7XvO56VffDhi6g74OWrNpik

    https://mega.nz/#!m8EWGKzB!AHWkIEpBbTa34KonCOB3O0dAzmaGwh_lHeGsMvaS7po

    https://mega.co.nz/#!mRUxzTqZ!AEfgW0tkJRF6we5xvgvR8zT5x9ZoPDzUPq2Nz_Jm0lo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, many thanks Babs. I have a lot of Hendrix but not this.

      Delete
    2. 63 versions of Red House - from various sources. Some excellent, some not so much.

      https://workupload.com/file/SkKaVSJhv92

      Delete
  12. I think I have at least 5 different versions of this 4th posthumous album. The one I bought in high school and grew up with was "Cry of Love" which I always thought was pretty good (unaware of controversy and criticism of the release until much later). I'm going to give this version another listen now though; great write up!

    I'd like to direct any Jimi fans to BlankFrank's mammoth undertaking at the "And Your Bird Can Swing" blog where he chronicles Jimi's entire "professional output" in chronological order from the best sources available (at the time at least):

    The Jimi Hendrix Masters Part One: Studio
    https://and-your-bird-can-swing.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-jimi-hendrix-masters-part-one-studio.html

    The Jimi Hendrix Masters Part Two: Live
    https://and-your-bird-can-swing.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-jimi-hendrix-masters-part-two-live.html

    It's not for the faint of heart but worth it if you've got time on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On his "Albums That Never Were" blog, soniclovenoize put together another reconstruction of Jimi's posthumous recordings into his best approximation of the double-album that might have eventually resulted. He's critical of the posthumous releases by both Douglas and "The Estate" and uses different mixes than those here ("prehumous" mixes) so readers might be interested in it for comparison if nothing else. I think they all sound good!

      https://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2014/10/jimi-hendrix-first-rays-of-new-rising.html

      Delete
    2. errr .... make that "humous" not "prehumous"

      Delete
    3. The Collector's sets are amazing, too. I have these, but each set is north of 10Gb so difficult to upload.

      I got mine from Soulseek.

      Details are here as pdfs.

      It would appear that copies of every mix and stage of recording were made - particularly in the latter years. So many versions of the same track.

      https://sfodblog.wordpress.com/music/

      Delete
    4. Mr. Dave - there have been many, many fan attempts at the fourth studio album, in addition to the *cough* "Hendrix estate's". They're more easily come by than Voodoo Soup, which is why I posted it, and they're all guesswork. Douglas didn't call the album First Rays, and he didn't - unlike later compilers - pretend to know what was in Jimi's head, or what his decisions would be. None of the fan compilations, for all their "authenticity" sound like a listenable, exciting album - the kind we'd have expected. They all tend to "completeness" - including every track recorded at the time. There's no reason to suppose Hendrix would have done that. I can listen to Voodoo Soup all the way through without my attention wandering, which I can't with the compilations, and it sounds better than any of them, finished and polished.

      Delete