Sunday, December 5, 2021

Spirit Of Sunday Dept.




Son Of Spirit
 is in some sense a little album - modest, unpretentious, and short. Thirty-three minutes at a formulaic ten tracks, and not a second wasted. It's also overlooked. Spirit Of '76 seems to be the favorite of the Cass n' Cali years, followed by the left-field Future Games. On paper, it don't look so hot. Some leftovers from '76, and some pimped-up Randy demos.But gee, is it ever swell! If you're unfamiliar with its gentle charm and melodic grace, gather it to your meager bosom now. Pop heaven, and a lighter, more positive tone sets it apart from '76.

There are those - wretched bluenoses - who opine loftily that the Cass n' Cali duo had no right to the name Spirit, and that their albums are inferior to that imperial 'sixties run through to SardonicusFie! I say, and a pox on them. This incarnation of the spirit is different; one doesn't cancel out the other. Over the decades I've enjoyed the duo/trio recordings as much as the classiconic full band albums.

Son Of Spirit is one of those albums saturated with personal associations for me, all of them good. My first wife and I (when we wus fab) in a Welsh cottage, wood fire burning in the grate, and the cream-and-red Dansette playing the first IABD album, the first ISB album, and this - a great little album, and perfect for a sunny Sunday, which I hope yours is.

27 comments:

  1. Any fans of Jo Jo Gunne, here on the isle?

    "You'd better ride on baby,
    You was born outside of the law
    Run
    Run"

    Dumb lyrics I know, but a very catchy tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bail after the first album, which is swell.

      Delete
    2. https://falsememoryfoam.blogspot.com/2021/01/help-hwood-funnyman-leslie-nielsen.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks.

      What happened to Psychfan, is he OK? I miss the trip of the week.

      Delete
    4. He's okay as far as I know - taking a break. I miss him, too, the lazy-ass bum.

      Delete
    5. Delta Del has gone quiet too. Living on the water in December in England must be hard work. Hope you're ok Del.

      Delete
    6. It's gone all foggy - in a good way.

      Delete
  2. I can listen to 'The Family That Plays Together' any time - my go-to Spirit album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's the 13th dream from 1983 - original lineup reformed.
    "1984" particularly good; I once had the single with a 10-minute "Elijah" on the b-side but it always jumped 'cos too tightly wound.

    There's a video of "I got a Line" but it's attenuated

    https://we.tl/t-D8yFOSIkmq

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that like me many people's introduction to the band was on the Rock Machine Turns You On sampler.
    I don't know why I never investigated further than "Fresh Garbage", which I liked very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You have a treat in store for you. Sardonicus is - well, there is no better album.

      Delete
  5. Never listened to any Spirit (might've crossed a track or two on compilations) so I have no prejudgment and the write-up makes this sound really good...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, sir. Love Spirit, no matter the version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this, Farq. Ties with Farther Along as my favourite Spirit album (Spirit of 76 in third place). Saw Cass and Randy with Larry Knight at the legendary Rainbow Theatre back in 78. Alternative TV and The Police in support - good times. Going to download just to get my hands on your much improved cover design - good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you seeing that gig, Rob! The Live album taken from it (and other sources, plus overdubs) is a big favorite of mine - here on th' IoF© somewhere. This cover design, though - you'll have to slide over yourself - the download has another version I suddenly got unhappy with.

      Delete
    2. Real question: how DO you link the cover art up with an MP3 file?

      Delete
    3. In iTunes it's pretty easy. Right click on album cover in iTunes "get info", click tab "artwork", click and delete (ctrl/back) existing image, click on new image - presumably all ready and visible in another window (internet browser) - and drag into now blank artwork field. Viola!

      I'll re-up if you're still having difficulty.

      Delete
    4. Aaargh, Itunes!!!! Fie! Fie! The work of the devil!!!

      *steps away slowly*

      Delete
  8. Thanks Farq -- I've passed on this one in the past so it's still new to me. Always appreciate the course correction on this perilous journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While we're all here - a slew of Spirit albums for youse bums (Steve Shark, start here), including Son Of with the new cover. This band has never slipped from my most-loved list for decades.

    100% proof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here’s one of my favorites (posthumous) I’d like to share. 2CDs, 29 tracks, some great unreleased material & alternate versions of past classics.

      Spirit - Live from the Time Coast, Acadia ACAD 8073, 2004.

      CD1 -
      https://mega.nz/file/oTQE0JiT#5-UAzfSBZL9QPHnz7X4X8oGdNEgxYnnbflNQbSzLn7M
      CD2 -
      https://mega.nz/file/AXQiiLgD#9-AJKgPBhqFfw7oTYA1263-AxCgcpPXVL2Vlp7NO3C0

      Delete
    2. Yes, this is a goodie. One of Skidmore's cleverer efforts.

      Delete