Wednesday, November 10, 2021

The Smile That Returned To Us




Back when file sharing wasn't even imagined, in the days of dial-up and floppy disks, the internet was the primary resource of information and speculation about the lost Beach Boys album Smile

Prior(e) to that, we only had occasional mentions in the rock press and Dominic Priore's essential bible for Smile fanatics [left - Ed.], then hard to find, a great fat paste-up fanzine, a labor of love we p(ri)ored over, mining it to aid us complete the lost masterpiece. Because that's what we attempted, on whatever cassette decks we had, using what source material we had, bootlegs and official releases. Editing was crude, but we all had our own ideas as to track choice and running order, and mailed cassettes to other obsessives while we waited for mp3 to be invented.

It was a mess. But fun. And the vision of what the album might have been didn't fade. More recordings surfaced, the picture became clearer, and the clamor for an official archival release got loud enough for Brian to be persuaded to record a new version, highly anticipated. Brian Wilson Presents Smile was a weirdly unsatisfying experience, and although impeccably performed seemed even further away from the Real Thing than our own clumsy cut-ups. The quality of the vocals had much do with it; no other combination of voices sounds like the Beach Boys, where the whole is so much greater than the sum of its parts. They took harmonies to places they'd never been before or since, and the mix of timbre is unique. The original tapes are super-saturated with non-reproducible atmosphere; the spirit of the times, beautiful and funny and strange. I caught Presents on tour, and the audience teared up, sending a great warm wave of love out to Brian Wilson. One of the most memorable concerts I ever attended, still sends chills down my spine. So much love. But it didn't realise the dream of the lost album, it didn't deliver completion, serving mainly as a celebration of Brian Wilson and a reminder of what could have been.

The eventual box set of the original Smile sessions, although providing much new material at high quality, was another missed opportunity. In the absence of Brian going back to the tapes, nobody else stepped up to assemble the elements in a form that did them justice, as a record. Nobody risked going out on an artistic limb and saying, hey, how about this? Any number of Beach Boys experts and archivists could have. But no. The material was curated with museum-grade respect but zero imagination, a glass case displaying the shards of a shattered crown. At least we had a wealth of more pieces to work with. Perhaps too many. My own enthusiasm waned at this point. I had well-made fan attempts I listened to more than Presents - which I never listen to - and thought that was as close as I'd get.

And then, three years ago, an internet blogger quietly gave us both stereo and mono versions of the album that immediately rendered all previous reconstructions and assemblages obsolete. Soniclovenoize (for it was he) came up with the best imaginable recreation of the Real Thing, in stunning sound quality. Crucially, he limited it to vinyl album length, which given the wealth of disconnected material out there is a major achievement. No (thank God) fifteen minute versions of Heroes & Villains. Just a suite of songs - and what songs! - interlaced with the batshit sound collages you either enjoy or (more commonly, because you're not on drugs) dismiss. But even the segments obviously lacking vocals sound right - oddly whole, like the Venus de Milo.

Smile is such an old, old story that a resolution is no longer expected. There have been so many attempts at telling it that SLN's version was, I think, received as just another playlist to be filed alongside the others. Yet it does something the others don't - it takes that risk, plays a little, creates a little, and in giving us not quite what we expected gives us what we needed all along - an album. The album.

My only nitpick was his replacing the first minute of the stereo Heroes & Villains with a mono edit, because he preferred the quality of the vocals. He may have a point, but it seems a musical solecism that Wilson would never have made. So I replaced his hybrid with the original single, the song that opened my ears and blew my mind back in '66. Both versions of the album are (to use an overused term) essential. Smile, with all its confusions and contradictions, has, at last, been returned to us.


I hear the sound of a gentle word
On the wind that lifts her perfume through the air






31 comments:

  1. Here's SLN's piece:

    https://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/search/label/beach%20boys

    It looks like the links are dead, so I'll upload soon as I rinse the gravy out me necktie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This download includes my slight tweak - if you want SLN's original, you'll have to wait for him to re-up.


    download

    ReplyDelete
  3. Careful Farq, this place could be crawling with home-made SMiLEs at the drop of a mere vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be welcome, but they'll have to be pretty confident to stack up against this.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. "A simile is like a metaphor". I think Steven Wright said that.

      (C'mon Babs, serve up some screed!)

      Delete
    2. Which days would you like? I have a couple of old Tuesdays in the back of the shop.

      Delete
    3. Tuesday? That's a weak day.

      Delete
  5. I've always kinda sorta liked the Beach Boys.
    But not a lot (with a couple of individual song exceptions.)
    I suspect there's something similar here to your reservations about the Beatles.
    Thinking back. Early to mid-sixties: Young. Full of myself. Opinionated. Curious about the other country's music & fashion & slang & yeah, culture.
    Living in Vancouver, just a kahuna north of California, the surfing angle seemed very gimmicky and limited.
    True, Brian Wilson quickly proved himself a tsunami wave above Jan & Dean and the surfing genre. But for me it lacked... soul, balls, a homeliness which I admired in the Brits.
    And true, with Wilson there's that individual spark of genius, while the Brits often collaborated to create glorious noise.
    I'm into my second careful listen to your Smiles.
    (The only time I saw them live, Glen Campbell stood in for Brian who was reportedly in a sandbox.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reservations about the Beetles started relatively late - they were the pop music focus of my childhood. They proper cheered everyone up guv'nor, an' no mistake! But I fell out with the Fab Four when they went shit (as we musicologists term it). My love for the Beach Boys, however, has been as a constant burning flame since I heard California Girls - or was it I Get Around?

      (Oh, and they're not my Smiles!)

      Delete
    2. First time I heard them, it was "I Get Around". That was their first big hit in England 1964. Since then, they had far greater support there than in their own country.

      Delete
    3. I put it down to Brian's dad ripping off Gary Usher financially and blocking Brian's access to him. The stuff cowritten with Gary is astonishing!

      Delete
    4. "I wish Sgt Pepper never taught the band to play!"

      Delete
  6. I remember getting Maxell 90s with smudged track listings in the '90s, thinking I was SO ahead of things...

    The thing about Smile is that it was never finished. It could never be an album, because Brian woulda kept screwing with it. So many songs sounded like other songs that they blended together. Personally, I don't want Good Vibrations anywhere near it.

    Looking forward to checking out your reconstruction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't suppose you could post your tracklist? The DL has 25 items, but they're doubled up when put in order. Knowutimean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (That sound you hear is me banging my head on the desk). It's not my tracklist. Most tracks have been edited and mixed by SLN, so using the tracklist as a playlist is pointless. The tracks are tagged individually as mono or stereo - if you slide them into iTunes, they'll sort themselves out into mono and stereo albums. And why not visit SNL's site - linked in my first comment - for the full story?

      Delete
    2. About that banging.....I think you have a number one with a bullet.......not like a maraca with one bead, or bullet, in it. Add some rudiments lad, ratamacues, paradiddles, flamadiddles, just diddle, it's sounding great now we'll add some bass and gamelan.
      . https://youtu.be/EqAKWvijlgA

      https://youtu.be/WSC7iujjg_o

      Delete
    3. The best part of banging your head on your desk is when you stop. I live to give.
      I called it your reconstruction because you said you made a substitute.
      Now that I see the mono and stereo easier it makes SO much more sense.
      Thanks for all you do.

      Delete
    4. Wardo, I was just concerned that those who come here for the comments might think I was claiming SLN's work for my own. What he does is way beyond my skills, and it's my familiarity with this music (and the many attempts to complete it) that enables me to appreciate what he's accomplished, which is extraordinary.

      Delete
  8. The below is written from the perspective of a mega Beach Boys fan...

    I've never been able to put "Smile" together in my head as a cohesive whole. It's probably to do with the fact that the various tracks dribbled out over time. Some of those tracks are works of breathtaking beauty and brilliance, but others are just rather dated remnants of an era that saw a lot of experimentation - some of which failed.

    I have about 20 versions of the album - both official and unofficial. Mickboy (amongst others) did a great version, but it still has tracks like "Mrs O'Leary's Cow" which bear hearing once, if at all.

    So, my take is that many of the intended Smile tracks are just sheer brilliance, but not so the various versions of the album.

    But that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good, nuanced take on "Smile" that pretty much covers my feeling towards the whole enterprise of putting together the seemingly lost masterpiece.

      There's just so many disparate pieces, and so much stuff which is completely of its time and off its rocker, respectively, that I could always see the brilliant bits, but never a brilliant whole.

      Smile - a case of the whole being less than the sum of its parts.

      Delete
    2. When you read his notes, you appreciate the scope of his knowledge. He not only knows where to locate the "elements", but he's able to assemble them into coherent a whole as it's ever going to be. His edits, floating in voices and instruments from all over the place, are unique, and perfectly judged. I've listened to it *a lot*, and for me it does everything I ever wanted Smile to do. There's strong element of aural scrapbook in there that I'm pretty sure was always part of Wilson's kaleidoscopic lack of focus, his restless butterfly approach. This was never going to end up as standard musical product. To say we just don't know where Wilson was going with it is off the point. I think he was damn nearly done, but couldn't tie up the loose ends, got into a tangle. If he'd had a helpful soul next to him (his own time transported SLN, perhaps) instead of having to fight off the vampires all the time, he may well have come up with something so close to this that further shuffling is unnecessary.

      Delete
    3. I haven't listened to this version yet and maybe it clicks like it did for you...will report back...

      Delete
    4. BTW, I'm of course not expecting "standard musical product"...who would?...but I'm still sceptical about SMilE as the end and supposed crowning acievement of Brian's unlimited ambition...as said, will listen and see what this does...

      Delete
  9. It was clear to me that Brian was listening to what we now call Exotica [cough cough] when he was making Pet Sounds and SMiLE. Go listen to Martin Denny and Les Baxter, etc. You'll hear it. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like 'solar system' & 'i bet he's nice' much more than 'god only knows'...
    'love you' album= brian's brain nutty but schmarty geniusy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wilson should be taken whole, not piecemeal. His whole life is art, if he knows it or agrees with it or not. Right up to the last Beach Boys album, he's been the constant light behind the semaphor flashes of albums and singles we get from the hilltop. I'm grateful for them all, because they light up my life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this, I don't know this album :-o !

    ReplyDelete