Sunday, November 14, 2021

Some Candles Had To Wait To Be Lit

 


Babs offers us a personal reminiscence, and memorial, of 9/11.


As I was walking from my condo in Tribeca to my job in Manhattan’s financial district, the sky was as blue as could be, and the air was dry and crisp. It was a perfect September day, gone was August’s heat and humidity. “This is a picture perfect day!” I thought to myself, while Duke Ellington’s album Afro-Bossa played on my MP3 player, and I quickened my pace. When I reached my place of work at One Chase Manhattan Plaza, I paused for a minute, to look at Jean Dubuffet’s 40-foot sculpture entitled, “Group of Four Trees” (It’s still there), went in the building and took the elevator to my office on the 57th floor.

Most mornings at work, started with my assistant Diane and I, drinking very strong coffee, gossiping, laughing, talking office politics followed by more coffee. We heard a commotion down the hall, and I said to Diane, “The Traders started early.” Diane laughed and said, “Yeah, those sociopathic coke heads!” we both laughed, and continued talking. We were interrupted by John, the mailroom guy, who stuck his head into my office and said, “The World Trade Center is on fire!” We jumped up, and went to the westside of the floor, where there was a spectacular view of the twin towers, that was just fifteen-hundred or so feet away. I could see fire and black smoke that was emanating from the far side of the building, so I couldn’t see what had actually happened. One of my co-workers exclaimed, “They’re saying a plane hit it!” At the time, I thought it was a small plane, and had no idea we were in the middle of a terrorist attack.

After watching the scene for a few minutes, Diane and I went back to work, as we had a meeting in half an hour, and we needed to have our pre-meeting meeting. Ours was a world of quantitative analysis, with its mathematical models, statistics, and risk management. In the financial world we are known as “Quants” and I was the Head Quant. Now and then, I wondered how a Hippie like me, who my husband described as, “Looks like Barbie, smokes like Marley” ever got there. But nevertheless, there I was. Actually, this was a dream job for me due to my love of pure mathematics.

While Diane and I were talking, we heard an almighty BOOM! The whole building shook, and the lights went down and then back up. We went back to the West-facing window, I looked out the window and saw all this metal and paper flying around like a surreal snow globe. The lights went dark again, as we walked back to my office, where I changed into my sneakers, grabbed my purse and cellphone, and headed for the stairwell with Diane and John the mailroom guy in tow.

In the stairwell, people were filing down the stairs in two rows, fire-drill style. Some were in shock; some were crying. When we reached the first floor, walked out an emergency exit, I looked up, and paper was flying everywhere. When I looked up even higher, I saw a fireball coming out of One World Trade Center. A Policeman was shouting “Walk east away from the towers!” John, the mailroom guy, suddenly told the officer, “My girlfriend is in One World Trade Center!” then screamed her name, “REBECCA!” and ran towards the twin towers. I turned to see how Diane was, she was crying, and said, “People are jumping out of windows!” I grabbed her arm and pulled her in the direction the policeman was pointing to and yelling, “C’mon, get out of here!”

In the air was a smell of hot metal, burnt plastic, burnt fuel, and concrete dust (that smell lasted into  early December 2001). A man, walking towards us, said, “The north tower just collapsed!” A few minutes later the dust cleared, you could see the light again, but that light didn't last. When the second tower came down later, the same thing happened again.

Even though I knew the streets of the Wall Street area like the back of my hand, I was completely lost. With the noise, dust and smells, I couldn’t think straight. I kept looking for the twin towers, to use as a North Star, but they were no longer there, and my brain had difficulty processing this. I pulled Diane, who had now completely shutdown, to which I was pretty sure was north, and back to my home in Tribeca. Just wanted to get home.

As we walked, we came across an abandoned bagel cart, which had soft drinks in a bin that was attached to the front of it. All that was in the bin were bottles of iced-tea. I grabbed a bottle, rinsed out my mouth, washed my face with the iced-tea, and drank some. Grabbed another bottle and gave it to Diane, who did the same. With my eyes no longer burning as bad, I looked at my cell phone, which had no service. Further, up the block we saw a pay phone, that had several people waiting to make a call. While we were waiting to make a call, a man walked up to the pay phone, shoved the woman on the phone out of his way, hung up the phone, and made a call! I decided we should keep walking.

The further North we walked, the less dust was in the air, I could see better now and realized I was only a few blocks from home. A walk that usually took twenty-five minutes took just over two hours. When we reached my building, I started crying, the doorman took us into the building, sat us on a couch in the lobby.

Years later, we learned that the Bush administration had deceived us about air safety. In 2006, an EPA scientist named Cate Jenkins said that agency officials had lied about air quality and that they knew the dust contained asbestos and disturbingly high levels of metal toxins. New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman admitted, “We didn’t want to scare people” working in the financial district.

Jerry was the love of my life, my traveling companion, and co-conspirator on this long, strange trip called life. In 2010 he was diagnosed with post-9/11 cancer, as were many people living south of Canal Street in Manhattan.


Jerry passed in 2012, at the age of sixty-four.






15 comments:

  1. That's gut-wrenching, Babs.
    You are one of the few whom I've ever heard talk about the actual smell of the whole ordeal.
    You should've been a writer rather than a mathematician.
    I can't tell you how sorry I am about your loss of Jerry.
    I can almost relate because I'm on the verge of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart goes out to you, Clarence.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. It's dreaded new territory.
      I'll get through it.

      Delete
  2. I can't think of anything to say after reading Babs story. My heart goes out to you for what she went through that day and the loss of Jerry. I agree with everything Clarence said.

    Thank you for sharing this painful memory Babs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in east village that day....& subsequent weeks. Re the smoky smell you noted--you left out the other regretted ingredient: human flesh/marrow which we learned and were daily reminded had a distinctive sick-sweet hamburgerish tang that firemen and seasoned military dudes [and city dwellers came to] know all too well...That day I walked into a drug store on 3rd ave. where a probably Muslim clerk asked what had happened/who did the unthinkable deed, and I correctly guessed "Probably bin Laden"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. At a loss for words. I'm so sorry. Warm regards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've watched the events of 9/11 live and in countless documentaries since.

    None of it has made those events as real as this.

    Thank you, Babs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That hit like a freight train -- I'm so sorry for your loss Babs. I'm somewhat speechless too but thank you for sharing. That was the most vivid and up close & personal account of the tragedy I've read and it has me very choked up. Thank you and sincerest condolences to you and anyone else who suffered loss as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect image and title too, btw. All in all flawless, beautiful, and heart wrenching

      Delete
  7. I was living in Doha, Qatar for a hefty chunk of 2001 as an ESL teacher, coincidentally my contract ran out Sept 12 (end of a Muslim work week) so my last day of classes was Sept 11. I was in a cab driven by an Indian fellow listening to English language radio on my way to evening classes - we were 9.5 hrs ahead of the East Coast - when news of the first plane came across. At the time the announcer stated no one was sure it was an accident. Driver and I agreed no accident, probably bin Laden. When I got to school the staffers and students from various parts of the Arab world agreed this was no accident (especially so as news of planes came in) and very probably bin Laden; he was already a knowm/controversial figure from his activities in Afghanistan (with US blessing if not assistance) and Africa (not so much.) I had ridden in a number of cabs with ObL stickers of his face in Che-style I can't count how many times, typically Pashtun drivers from either side of the AfPak border.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’d like to thank you one and all for all your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this harrowing description of that terrible day, Babs. And condolences to you for your friend Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also was working in an office high rise building (in Boston) on that day. There was a brokerage house on the first floor that had flat screens that were normally tuned to CNBC (a financial news channel) but were on that day showing the hole in the first tower that had been hit. I had the vague thought that it was surprising that an accident like that had never happened before. When I got upstairs this rapidly developing story had already developed further.
    That was the way that the rest of the day unfolded for me...mostly on TV. I had no personal loss and was never in any actual danger. I also offer my condolences and I'm very glad that you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  11. late to the game again. Thanks hardly does justice, Babs, but it's all I got. And I am so sorry for your loss.

    My youngest brother was a few blocks away and mostly won't talk about it, but occasionally he does mention the smell and the air.

    ReplyDelete