Thursday, November 11, 2021

"It's Boss, Man!" Dept.


"Dig these new wheels!" Just an everyday teen at an everyday L.A. High School, picking up his everyday pals in his everyday jalopy! What could be more wholesome? Yet these everyday youngsters - they could be your sons and daughters - are on the road to DRUGS! To SEX! To WILD MUSIC! To PUBLIC DISORDER!

A manly voice-over anguishes: "Soon, half the world's population will be under twenty-five years of age! Where will they go? What will they do?" It's scary - the world's population must be at least 90% under twenty-five by now, which accounts for all the wild music and drugs and gang rape on the streets. Riot On Sunset Strip is more American International cornstarch from a bunch of balding old beancounters who might have been locked in a Yemen basement, so disconnected were they from contemporary L.A. youth culture. The dri-klene "teens" frug like rejects from a Monkees audition, the protest placards are straight outta Hallmark™, and the Moms n' Pops look uncomfortable with color film as they struggle to understand what happened to their movie potential.

The soundtrack album is pretty groovy, though. You have it awready, have it again. I'm particularly fond of the Mom's Boys (A.K.A. Max Frost And The Troopers/Thirteenth Power), antecedently FoamFeatured® on Freakout U.S.A.

But maybe you haven't seen the movie in a while, or at all, so here it is, in much crisper quality than YewChewb. The weird thing is, in its fakeness and cheapness and utter cluelessness, it presents as true a picture of L.A. culture as anything else.




33 comments:

  1. You want this, you're going to have to talk about physical exercise. Do you get any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salmon fishing, either trolling or mooching.

    Chinook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most days I walk (used to run) at least four miles, and I've been doing Yoga since I was in my twenties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 6th century BCE, was a fun time to travel around India, looking for kicks, smoking Charas, trying to find myself.

      Delete
    2. Did you look in the Port Authority bus terminal? That's where I found myself.

      Delete
    3. I found myself between the cushions of my couch, along with a buck-fifty, in quarters, dimes and nickels.

      Delete
  4. I yell at young children and old people.

    john

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apart from the nightly bouts of Olympian sex with a grateful and exhausted wife (anyone's), I manage maybe a half hour's bicycling along the river road at dawn. And my daily stretch to switch on my desktop speakers keeps my upper body limber.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a fake knee I allow the dachshund to give me a leisurely walk several times a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew ... misread that "walk" for a troubling moment.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear the knee is good, Clarence. I'm still getting kinetherapy and it's hard work, so I'm exercising more than usual. Just had session 13 of 25 - the flex is good, but the back of the knee needs to be a little straighter.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like you're doing well.
      You, too, can say "I stand corrected."

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Half a dozen provocative squats?

      Delete
    2. I usually only squat once a day. My diet keeps mw quite regular.

      Delete
    3. Provocative Squats would make a good band name. I forgot the last idea for a band name that I got from FMF. Provocative Squats can be a mixtape title, since that seems more realistically achievable.

      Aim low! Wrestle poodles and win!

      Delete
    4. 5 years ago, at age 50, I was following a "linear progression" powerlifting routine religiously and got up to squatting 384lbs and deadlifting 450lbs (3 sets of 5 mind you). I was never "big" and didn't do typical bodybuilding BS so as a skinny old guy it was fun getting strange looks from all the gym rats. Now however I probably can't muster a push-up and labor to do much of anything. All that hard work for nuttin'!

      Delete
  8. Regular bowel movements.

    Do they count?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 15 minutes of stretching my muscles (no, not that muscle) every AM with Headphones on...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just returned from a 5 days walking holiday (and deliberately no internet). We did at least six miles a day, all around the Exmouth and Sidmouth area of Devon in the south of England. However it's nice to check-in to the IoF again.
    I can hear you all thinking 'that ain't no holiday', but I live in a bigish town and it's great to spend some time in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd much rather live in the world of teenage debauchery imagined in movies like this and Wild in the Streets than this one, that's for damn sure (pardon my language).

    ReplyDelete