Tuesday, March 30, 2021

The Sly n' Robbie Story Dept. - Part XVI

Older readers will remember how we left the dubwise duo in part XV, desperately bailing their coracle as Hurricane Hortense whirled across Puget Sound at the turn of the century. Would their frail barque survive?

Weakened by days with only blisters and toenails for sustenance, their oilskins in tatters, their eyes blinded by spume whipping from the towering waves, things looked bleak for the storm-tossed twosome. "Caulk the mainbrace!" cried Robbie, his voice a hoarse croak in the thunderous roar. "Scupper the harpoon!" screamed Sly.

Luckily they made it to Kingston, Jamaica and Electric Lady in New York in time to cut this satisfyingly obscure dub platter in '84. Luther "Luxury Vehicle" Vandross and sultry siren Brenda White [left - Ed.] add backing vox. Only released in the Netherlands, which is like Holland, for what they call the Dutch market, where the hemp-loving herring enthusiasts were so confused by the deal they forgot to put the artist's name on the album sleeve. It sank without trace, only to wash up on the shores of Fabulous False Memory Foam Island© many years later. 

16 comments:

  1. Di Gruesome Twosome Aka 'Di Riddim Twins' I'll Take That From You Sir...Blood An' Fyah Ah Guh Bun Ina Babylon 🔴🟡🟡🟢⚫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Legendary Ganja Smoking Monk is legendary for three things: smoking ganja, being a monk, and being legendary. We welcome his legendariness to th' IoF©, and assure him of our earliest attentions.

      Delete
  2. I and I buy dis one at Virgin Oxford Street, back inna di day.

    Chris Hinze a waah crazy white bowy, yuh kno

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I at the back?. Or is this merely the end of the front?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Rev.Dr.Baz
    My fave Bob Marley lyric is Congo Bongo I.
    I`ve waited 40 years for an opportunity to use it in an intelligent way in a conversation. I think I will be recalled to the home planet never fulfilling this ambition. How the raasclatt me one fool?

    ReplyDelete
  5. An epistle from The Rev.Dr.Baz Minister The Church Of Ecstactic Truth.
    A message for Mr.Geriatrix;
    "The last shall be first & the first shall last" Mathew 19:30
    In other words The Creator Has A Faster Van.
    Our congregation, after receiving the sacrement (a giant Jazz gasper) always sing our fave hymn "Jesus Built My Hot Rod"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's the narwhal-dodgers' platter, embedded in a patent Stealth Link© to ensure dainty freshness and intimate peace of mind!




    ReplyDelete
  7. My fave Bob Marley lyric is "I ain't got not birth surfer ticket on me nah!"

    ("Rebel Music (3 O'Clock Roadblock)"

    What the funk?!:

    Songwriters: Aston Barrett / Hugh Peart

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hunting, Searching, Seeking, Finding‼ I-Man Sight Di Ting Blood ASh Guh Run, Fyah Ah Guh Bun, Keep Blazin' RESPECT...Concrete & Cement💯🔥❤💛💚🖤

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was quite a harrowing tale! Glad they made it out alive but I'm afraid their perilous journey to rastaland and its garden of soporific delights permanently damaged their musical judgement and sensibility. I'll just wait out here while you all be jammin' in Jahba's Hut with your cutchie. (Just jivin' -- I like good dub every once in awhile)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the dub version of https://www.discogs.com/Chris-Hinze-With-Special-Guest-Stars-Peter-Tosh-Robbie-Shakespeare-Sly-Dunbar-Bamboo-Reggae/release/3467875
    Despite the impressive line-up most of it turned out kinda reggae-lite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - that explains a lot! I think this is it?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHoYwQ5T0E

      A bit of a mess. The dub version is pretty swell, though.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's the one.
      If you like it, I have the CD, just let me know.

      Delete
    3. Not one I'll go back to, art, but if any of th' 4/5 Guys© wants it ...

      Delete