Saturday, March 20, 2021

The Mome Raths Outgrabe Dept.

Frumious Bandersnatch were one of the great left coast acid guitar/harmony bands to be exhumed during the First Era Of Psychedelic Rediscovery - that post-Nuggets, pre-internet period when you'd discover albums through dealers' lists, collectors' stores and record fairs. Very occasionally the heavens would open, sending a ray of light into the skunky back room of some thrift store, and you'd fall upon an album you just knew was the real thing. Not Frumious Bandersnatch, though - their only contemporary release was an e.p. on the Muggles Gramophone Works micro-label in '68 which attained mythic status. Official release of any kind would have to wait until '96, when Big Beat served up a slew of great tracks, but not the e.p., in a generic cover that screamed archival release and a title (A Young Man's Song) more suited to a Rod McKuen album. I pimped it up as Black Box with a band shot that tells us everything we need to know (basically, that these guys would eat blotter from a police desk).

Golden Sons Of Libra, another collection of previously unknown material, again without the e.p., turned up in 2003. I've added the e.p. tracks as a politeness to the consumer, but left the cover (the original Muggles Gramophone masterpiece) alone.

Band members went on to fame and success with Steve Miller, Journey, Faun, or avoided both in the unjustly obscure and soon-to-be-FoamFeatured™ Bonaroo.

What was far out is far out. What was Furthur is Furthur.

 

24 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to do a post every week, Friday or Saturday. Usual irritations and excuses apply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Farq we missed ya. I have something might make a decent guest piece for the Island, and seems like any of us 4or5 steppin up to fill some airtime would be cool. I recall there was an email address for longer submissions? I got about 700 words, is that long?

      Also can I recommend that those of us missing our daily dose of Throckmorton’s Foaming Cure-All make extensive use of the Random button, I tried it and now I feel fine.

      And ps thanks for various recent goodies in particular Krazy Kat, I was only vaguely familiar with Herriman’s work and what an absolute delight.

      Delete
    2. Be pleased to post it, Del! You can email me at elsonquick at g mail dot com, but alert me in a comment, because it's not my main account.

      Delete
    3. Hi Farq thanks and I’ve just now emailed you.

      Delete
  2. Yeah........missed you man. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything's copacetic, 5GW. I couldn't keep up the pace of a post a day, often with multiple downloads, special graphics, whatever, forever. Once a week should be enough for everybody!

      Delete
    2. It's ok, Gramps. Them naps won't just take themselves, y'know.

      Delete
    3. Consarned catheter split - be right back - oh lordy -

      Delete
  3. Like they say in Espana:
    "Calidad... (No Cantidad)"
    Ahem...whose golf clubs are these?
    And, not a ripple in sight! Welcome, home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where am I?!? Who am I?!? Who ordered the veal cutlets?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once a week is fine, but if the urge comes upon you midweek, we'll understand, lay back and enjoy it. And, THE RANDOM BUTTON, yes, that'll work. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got spoiled, our beamish boy; it happens. For your brillig bits we'll wait.

    pmac, I think table 7 had the side of slithy toves; not sure about the veal.

    I fear I've used my allotment of semi-colons for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn!
    I knew it!!!
    Many 4/5 foamers are really FarQ-Contin addicts...
    (who among us is without flaw??)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not busting what's left of my balls uploading these swell records unless youse bums ax. Them's the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If we're really the product of our environments, then you have trained us to salivate together. It's spring loaded now...since we all want to hear it. We must be in a collective lotus position...
    (Pavlovian AND on point).
    Blotter not included

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, did you post a link to the Frumious Bandesnatch? If it's a stealth link I missed it.

    Hey, it's your blog, post whenever you damn well feel like. You don't need a fixed schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll know if I posted a Stealth Link, because the comment will have the words "Stealth Link" somewhere in the text, which is like a clue. You'll still have to do some anteater snootling to find it, but at least you'll know the furshlugginer link is in that (this) comment somewhere.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Bob W. likes to be called Mr. District Attorney, and keeps a project '86 Taurus on bricks in his garage. He is a Hummel Figurine authority, writing a regular column for Porcelain Miniatures World Magazine, and an amateur freebase enthusiast.

      Delete
    2. I take serious offense at your comments I am not an amateur enthusiast (more like semi-professional).

      Delete
  12. These guys were from central Contra Costa County...the area of the intersecting towns of Pleasant Hill, Concord, Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Danville. They played the local high schools circa 1967-1969...a bit before my time (high school '70-'74) The other big local act was Country Weather. My mom worked as a nurse at John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek. At some point in '73 she asked me if I'd heard of a new band named Journey...a young man named George Tickner was working at the hospital. Tickner ended up quitting the band and went to medical school. There's a history of the band at http://brunoceriotti.weebly.com/frumious-bandersnatch.html

    ReplyDelete