Wednesday, October 6, 2021

MrDave Sparks One Up Dept.


Readers young enough [MrDave screeds - Ed.] to remember my last appearance on the prestigious IoF "Last Resort Cantina" stage (featuring Joe Frank on vocals) no doubt harbor a bitter and deep-seated resentment towards me for trying to con them into some spoken-word nonsense they didn't ask for and didn't want (47 hours worth!).

Older readers who may be able to remember as far back as last week and have nothing better to do than follow blog comments, are also likely to hold a lingering grudge against me (rightfully so!) for promising rare and priceless gems that turned out to be lackluster and forgetable bandcamp freebies. The smooth-jazz-fusion I recently posted can't have helped my credibility either; especially in its stark juxtaposition to Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Anthony Braxton, and the rest.

Fool you once, twice shy; fooled again, something something ... shame on you! How can you trust me again? You probably can't. But 100 AllMusic users can't be wrong, can they?!? So let's hand the mic over to one of them for a minute since my cred is dead.

Opines AllMusic User Murray Winship on this band's self-titled debut LP from the turn of the century: "This is really a very special album if you've (sic) in the know about boomer music modernized in this day and age. If ever a band sounded like the sunbaked children of a partnership between the trippy psychedelic dreamers of the paisley underground and the lonesome cowboys of the late-'60s Laurel Canyon cosmic country, Beachwood Sparks are it. ..."

Couldn't have said it better myself, Murray (except you plagiarized most of your review from Tim Sendra's official review you scoundrel!) Honestly, this is great music that is in complete alignment with the Isle of Foam psychedelic country-rock fan base. Beautiful "cosmic american music" that was 30 years too late and 20 years too early yet completely on time as well. Comparisons to The Byrds and Flying Burrito Brothers are deserved but the Beachwood Sparks are in no way derivative; they take those tasty country-psych flavors and make something wonderful and new with it. I find it deeply affecting and it's some of the only music I have actually shelled out cash to acquire in the past 20 years of napster, soul-seek, WinMX, private FTP sites, torrents and blogs.  

Countless bands seem to be making similar music now (see the Aquarium Drunkard blog) but in the early 2000s there was really nothing else like it and it has stood the test of time. There's lots of good players out there making fine country-folk-psych flavored music now but few acts capable of creating lasting collections of memorable songs like these. I'm sharing everything you already have plus some stuff you probably don't (some live shows, EPs, and recently released rarities).

PLUS, if you act now, I'm throwing in the wonderful 2004 album "Spirit Stereo Frequency" by Beachwood Sparks spin-off All Night Radio. Passing the mic to official AllMusic editor Tim Sendra now since, like Murray, I can't describe this stuff better than he already has:
 
"Take two guys from the Beachwood Sparks, add half the drugs in L.A., mix it all up and spread it out thick like layers of stars and waves…that’s what the only All Night Radio album is like. Featuring songs that resonate like half remembered Laurel Canyon lullabies, the record seeps into your brain right away and settles in like a calm summer twilight and sticks around. Too bad they never made another."
 
So, yeah, you want this despite my poor track record! (BTW, if anyone has a rip of the Beachwood Sparks 20th Anniversary Vinyl Edition from last year, I want it! That appears to have some material unavailable in any other format and my B&O turntable doesn't even work anymore.)



30 comments:

  1. I've tried pasting the links MrDave supplied, but they screw everything up - incorrect tagging?

    So - it's over to you, MrDave - may you have better luck than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, looks like blogger doesn't do underlining :/

    I'm providing two links; one with environmentally friendly mp3 copies of everything including a surprise GospelbeacH bonus (fronted by Brent Rademaker of Beachwood Sparks) and a second link with the inflated lossless versions of the six releases I have in that rainforest threatening format (for those, like me, who just like to know they're not missing any extra hiss in the cassette tape leaders). So if you prefer lossless, you'll still need to download the lossy to not losey.

    MP3 Files (Contains All Releases): https://workupload.com/file/UyLHu24tTrb

    Beachwood Sparks:
    Desert Skies [Single] (1998)
    Beachwood Sparks (2000)
    Once We Were Trees [Single] (2000)
    Once We Were Trees (2001)
    By Your Side EP (2001)
    Live In SF - Cafe Du Nord, 11.16.2001
    Make The Cowboy Robots Cry EP (2002)
    The Tarnished Gold (2012)
    Desert Skies (2013)
    Beachwood Deluxe (2021)
    Sandbox Sessions (2021)

    All Night Radio:
    Spirit Stereo Frequency (2004)

    GospelBeacH:
    Pacific Surfline (2015)

    FLAC Files (subset of above in lossless format): https://workupload.com/file/mWV28gPbYkw

    Beachwood Sparks:
    The Tarnished Gold (2012)
    Desert Skies (2013)
    Beachwood Deluxe (2021)
    Sandbox Sessions (2021)

    All Night Radio:
    Spirit Stereo Frequency (2004)

    GospelBeacH:
    Pacific Surfline (2015)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly great band, thanks for the reminder. Waiting patiently ... I have some, but not all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (btw, if anyone has the other GospelBeacH albums I'd love to have them!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here you are MrDave, this is GospelBeach JAM JAm. I have other s (I think) on CD but I dont know where they are at the moment.
    https://workupload.com/file/uBAeebLDAeP
    Rev Dr Baz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Rev! and for the Farmer Dave below as well -- much appreciated!!

      Delete
  6. https://workupload.com/file/CkE43eNSfKT
    This is multi instrumentalist Farmer Dave, who was a B.Spark so it might be of interest.
    Rev DrBaz

    ReplyDelete
  7. heynoww--sample this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYsh0ggHcVY
    for some original era cozmik amelican muzik
    Charley D. and Milo (1970).
    lon milo duquette became more famed for his books on occult matters, crowley etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Looks like I scooped that LP up somewhere along the way but I don't think I've ever listened to it (like 90% of my library, lol). Definitely has the same laid back vibe with lilting pedal steel and vocal harmonies of the Beachwood Sparks, 30 years earlier. Mix this with the Holy Modal Rounders "If You Want to Be a Bird" and a pinch of 90s indie attitude and you've pretty much got it!

      Delete
    2. Here's the Charley D. and Milo LP which, as advertised on the YouTube description, is a fine slice of "lysergic-tinged country-rock" from 1970. Thanks for the tip ge!

      https://workupload.com/file/ZUWkVcxtQLG

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Mr. Dave!

    Very nice cosmic country. Took the FLAC option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I don't have flac copies of everything and some of my favorites (s/t debut, Once We Were Trees, Make The Cowboy Robots Cry) are only in the mp3 download so you might want to grab that one as well even though there are some duplicates.

      Delete
  9. Great screed (and pics too!), and a bunch of juicy links - just what th' 4/5g© come here for. Thanks, MrD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just payin' the rent on my beachside "bungalow" here (i.e. keepin' the slumlord off my back for this sand-flea infested hovel)

      Delete
  10. was anyone else here lucky enough to see Gram P before he od'd?
    i was a student at CU and caught 1 of his & emmylou's first shows of the 'boulder to birmingham' tour. a legendarily cool southern gent indeed & word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Gram with The Flying Burrito Brothers, in Huntington Beach, Cali in either late '69 or early '70.

      Delete
    2. No, but I saw him after he OD'd. Lackluster performance, you ax me.

      Delete
    3. O so it may have been you who proffered the last-hope ice cube?

      Delete
  11. What a fun write up and an embarrassement of riches [Will you stop?! - Ed.] to go with it...excellent job, Mr. Dave. I remember liking the song or two I heard from Beachwood Sparks back in the days, but I never really followed up on them. Same thing a decade later, heard two tracks from their 2012 record, thought to myself "hey, really nice, I should really check them out" and, alas, another decade gone by (almost) without doing so. Now i can really REALLY check them out...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you much Mr. Dave. A great band!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you reupload the Beachwood Sparks links?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, give me a day or two to dig those up and re-upload; happy to share this great music

      Delete
    2. Here's all the Beachwood Sparks + All Night Radio: https://mega.nz/file/8LoShSpT#5Qq8hSg0w62xrDh9IsDeEgSA37HAAapcw-B21bZU-rw

      Let me know if you want the GospelBeacH as well -- it looks like I have six of their albums in my collection now

      Delete
    3. Anonymous my ass!! It’s me, MrDave. Accept no substitutes

      Delete
    4. Due to overwhelming demand, here is what appears to be the complete GospelbeacH oeuvre (fr: egg) sans (lat: boring font) a new 2024 release I ain't got yet:

      https://mega.nz/file/1TZlUJBB#sfzA_nH74KdY6_6naWJ8DaG-B-W3A2CwRen2U_g48gI

      Delete
    5. This is awesome - thanks so much for the re-up!

      Delete
    6. Also, thanks for keeping th' IoF© from flatlining.

      Delete