Saturday, October 16, 2021

Champagne, Blow And Reefer - It's B.B. n' Babs!




In December 1983 my husband Jerry (RIP) and I visited England for a few weeks. One afternoon, while we were shopping in London, we saw posters for B.B. King at Royal Albert Hall, so we thought: “Let's go!” We were staying at Brown’s Hotel, and when we checked in they told us they had tickets for West End shows and concerts. Later that day, when we returned to Brown’s, we spoke to the Concierge, who had second row seats.

The day of the show, we had lunch in the Hammersmith section of London [known as "Hammersmith" - Ed.]. Afterwards we visited a few pubs and smoked joints before the show. As always, B.B. put on one hell of a show! His banter between songs was worth the price of admission alone. When B.B. came out for his encore, Jerry elbowed me and said: “Look at B.B.’s vest (waistcoat to non-Americans), it looks like half a gram fell out of his nose!” it did indeed. At every B.B. King show I’ve seen, when he came out for his encore, he gave out enamelled lapel pins in the shape of his guitar Lucille, and I was determined to get one. I was sitting in an aisle seat, so when B.B. came out for his encore, I rushed to the stage, and held out my hand. When he looked at me, I said with my Brooklyn accent “How Ya Doin’, B.B.?” he bent towards me from the stage and said: “Where ‘ya from, honey?” I said: “Brooklyn, B.B.!” he smiled and said: “I can dig that” and gave me a pin, and I told him: “There’s blow all over your vest!” he looked down, and said: “Oh shit!” brushed it off his vest, laughed, gave me a wink, and continued giving out his pins. After he gave out his pins, he walked back over to me and said: Thanks again, sweetie!”, reached into his pocket and gave and gave me a tortoiseshell colored guitar pick that had D’Andrea and .71mm printed on it. All in all, a very cool evening.

The next day, one of the things on our agenda was to have Sunday afternoon tea at Brown’s. So we’re sitting in Brown’s drawing room, and some people came in, and were seated next to us. When I looked up, it was B.B. King, with his musical director Calvin Owens, and two other people. B.B. smiled at us, and noticed I was wearing the Lucille pin, and said: “I remember you, you’re from Brooklyn!” then in a hushed voice told the table: “She’s the one who tipped me off about the snow white on my threads.” They looked at us and smiled. B.B. introduced us to Calvin Owens, LaVerne his P.A. and Tony his road manager. We had a nice little chat and some laughs for around fifteen minutes, when B.B. said: “If you’ll excuse us now, we have some business to discuss.” A few minutes later a bottle of Champagne (’60 Bollinger for the oenophiles on th' Isle O'Foam©) was brought to our table, and we were told by the waitress: “The gentleman next to you sent this.”, and asked us: “Who is he?” we told her “It’s B.B. King”, then she asked: “What does he do, then?” Jerry told her, “He’s one of the most famous guitarists in the world!” to which she replied, “Oh.” Shrugged her shoulders and walked away. Jerry and I started singing a low-volume version of Muddy Water’s Champagne & Reefer which caused B.B. to laugh loudly and say: “Next time I see Mud, I’m gonna tell him ‘bout this!” We always wondered if he did.

In the 80s, the B.B. King had one of the best bands of his entire career. Under the leadership of Calvin Owens, this band played three hundred plus shows a year, and was a force to be reckoned with. B.B,’s voice was warm and stentorian, as was his playing and guitar tone! This is the same band we saw in London. Many B.B. aficionados (myself included) think the band improved slightly around 1985, when Michael “Mighty Mike” Doster took over on bass. Nevertheless, this is a smokin’ band! Along with B.B. are:

Eugene Carrier on keyboards
Russell Jackson on bass
Leon Warren on guitar
Caleb Emphrey, Jr. on drums
Calvin Owens on trumpet, and the arranger/conductor
James “Boogaloo” Bolden on trumpet
Edgar Sunigal, Jr. on tenor saxophone


Our download du jour, is The B.B. King Orchestra - Live At Midem 1983, which was recorded a few months before we saw him in London. 




[Ed's note: In absence of Hammersmith footage, YewChewb clip shows Dallas gig from same year  - Ed.]



22 comments:

  1. Babs comments:

    https://workupload.com/file/8RgDHyCmBDe

    "But wait, there’s more!

    To qualify for a bonus B.B. King download; a rare LP (worth mucho dinero if you have it) write a sentence or two about the last recording you listened to."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story, and a magical memory! Everything fell into place as if it were destined to happen to a young couple abroad. No, Farq -- not a young couple of broads.

    The recording I listened to most recently was loud, unpleasant, and best enjoyed alone in a car with the windows closed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting for the ballgame to start and I listened to The Green Pajamas' "Sunlight Might Weigh Even Less"

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last recording I listened to was a transcription of the vintage U.S. radio show "The Line-Up" - https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Line_Up_Singles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished listening to Duke Ellington's "Ellington Uptown", which has one of my favorite Duke compositions, "Tone Parallel to Harlem (The Harlem Suite)".

    ReplyDelete
  6. "We always wondered if he did." Sometimes they do. I had a high school pal who was working on the Taxi t.v. show. I was working upstairs at San Francisco's Cliff House, flippin' five hundred omelets a day. Some from the downstairs restaurant mentions "the crazy guy from that show is downstairs having dinner." I leave my station, go down into the dining room, ask which one of 'em is Christopher Lloyd, as we have a mutual friend (I'd never seen the show at this point...) Lloyd ends up taking my phone number on a cocktail napkin to my buddy in L.A. And yeah, he actually gave it to my pal Richard. So yeah, maybe Muddy got to hear that story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And while I've also been on a Green Pajamas bender, the last song was Bennie Moten's "South" (which I had never heard before).

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful story.

    as a child i was not a bb fan as he seemed way too mellow. my listening was mostly chess and whatever raw 50's i could scrounge. now i are mature and sophisticated and love the gut bucket even more but bb and even west cost blues are now much loved.

    the last thing i listened to was fibber and molly as old time radio is my peaceful, forget all the shit, go to sleep cocoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO drug is as soporific as those old radio shows. It takes many nights of restarts to get through an entire half hour. I have a preference for the "noir" - 21st Precinct, The Line Up, This Is Your FBI, Johnny Dollar, but my most listened show has to be Duffy's Tavern, which couldn't be made now due to racial stereotyping and sexism - all sublimely funny. Some of the Westerns are damn good, too. Great storywriting.

      Delete
  9. Great story Babs. I saw BB King in Bristol in about 1981, great gig, I remember one member of the brass section had an incredibly 'wobbly head', seemed uncanny how he could do it. Will watch the above Yewchewb vid soon, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Small world, I lived in Bristol, for a few years in the mid-70s.

    James “Boogaloo” Bolden had the 'wobbly head'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Listening to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland this morning. Read by Cyril Ritchard, with musical interludes by the New York Woodwind Quintet.

    Very cool story. I'm not a big fan of brass sections, to be honest, but as long as there's plenty of B.B and Lucille, I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last recording I listened to. After Friday night in the pub, upon returning home I listened to Marvin Hamlisch, The Entertainer album from 1974 (An album of mainly Scott Joplin songs), probably didn't listen to all of it though. He looks like a happy chap on the back cover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Better Not Look Down" must refer to his vest.
    What a great memory that must be for you, Babs.
    Last recording I listened to? Count Basie: "Basie Meets Bond."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic story! Right at the top with Jack Kerouac Cat's (now tainted) tales of NY debauchery with Bob Fosse for crazy, wonderful experiences (now I have to wonder if any of his stories were actually true). Thanks for sharing this magical experience and the nice live recording as well.

    Last recording listened to while writing this was Chris Bell's "You and Your Sister" and now Pavement's "Heaven is a Truck" just came on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie Koloc "After All This Time". Excellent early 70's folk rock with just the right amount of sixties hangover.
    A great story from Babs. It makes me remember that the 20th century is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bright moments, Babs! Though blues was going through one of its declines in pop culture consciousness, I agree that BB's touring band of that era was unsurpassed. Last thing I listened to (as opposed to having on in the background) was the LP Duet by Archie Shepp and Dollar Brand (Abdullah Ibrahim).

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, here's the bonus download.

    https://workupload.com/file/MHkAH6apkz7

    "B. B. King, 1949 - 1950", which is one of the releases from the sublime Kent Records Anthology Of The Blues series, that ran from 1970 to 1975.

    You can view the series here: https://www.discogs.com/label/401989-Anthology-Of-The-Blues-Archive-Series

    If you see a different release, you are interested in, just ask, I have them all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Live at the Regal is the connersewer's choice but a celebrated (for a minute or two) bubblegum (not really) muso referred me to Blues is King which indeed is better.
    I also have the Ace box which has the Crown & RPM tracks on it, from 50 onwards. James Asman's in the old Camomile Street shop had a few BB Crown albums fairly cheap back then, but sadly not cheap enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great story, babe. Last listened to: The Silent Bugler episode of The Go On Show.

    ReplyDelete