Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The Boss Recovery™ Dept. - Darkness, Darkness


Rock critics, the solemn souls, tend to revere Darkness On The Edge Of Town for its stripped-down "honesty". Gone is the Spectorian sweep of Born To Run, but gone too, long gone, is the romance dance of The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle. The title says it all - this was where Springsteen found himself, trapped between the lights of the city and the endless night, more born to hide than run. There are songs of fist-pumping defiance here, but in the context of a depressing piece of work made by a depressed man. No denying it's good, but good for what? Staring into an empty glass, maybe, alone at the end of the bar. Shit happens. Where Springsteen offered redemption in Born To Run, there's no salvation here, just a big helping of nowhere to go.

The cover [left - Ed.] showed, he said, that side of him, the guy in the songs. Implicitly, then, not him. It's a make-over - Bruce as pretty-boy punk, pimped-up and primed for that last ride; but with its artfully disarrayed coiffure and James Dean sulk it looks fake rather than posed,  fake real. Its slight variation on the back cover - shall we try it without the jacket? whaddya think? with? without? - shows a lack of confidence and imagination. Either could have been on the front, neither should. Frank Stefanko, a great photographer, took many better shots, and we must blame The Boss's signature lack of visual suss. Colleen Sheehy, curator of the exhibition Springsteen: Troubadour of the Highway, sez they "show a sublime convergence of singer and image at a critical point in Springsteen's career", so what do I know. I know I'd never refer to Springsteen as a *choke* troubadour of the highway, fercrissake. The same photoshoot was used for the shitpost fanart - sorry, sublime convergence - cover of The River. Our re-cover [above - Ed.] follows the literary approach of the others in the Boss Recovery™ program. There are very suitable Stefanko alternatives, but I wanted Bruce out of the picture, like a book jacket. Relax, girls - there'd be a fab pic - preferably a band shot - on the gatefold.

This album has slid down my ooh-want-to-hear-this list over the decades to the point where a recovery exercise wasn't as enjoyable as I hoped. It's a sullen thing, for the most part, and even the fist-pumping tracks tend to be compromised by a sense of obligation. Racing In The Street - incredibly - has the same story as the Beach Boys' ecstatic I Get Around but tells it as a funeral dirge, because this is how depression works. So my question is, why listen to this instead of that? It took Springsteen another couple of years to get happy, and while The River has risen (SWIDT?) in my appreciation and enjoyment, Darkness has fallen (SWIDT?). 

There are many, many, alternate and extended versions of this album out there, fan playlists and official releases, but this one is a little different, curated [you mean compiled, you jackass - Ed.] for playability, not archival completion. The few additions, I hope, let a little light into the darkness, and it's resequenced to avoid the original's side-long slides from defiance to defeat. The result is an album that doesn't depress quite so much shit out of the listener, which may not be according to your taste, but give it a spin on th' den Victrola anyways, why don'cha. Me, I'm heading back to the beach - surf's up!

That track list in full (click for biggenheimer):




25 comments:

  1. This one took a lot of time to think about and get together. I'm not sure if it's accomplished more than what will probably be the last time I listen to it for quite a while. Maybe it's a function of growing old, but sharing someone else's depression no longer works for me, even when articulated as skilfully as here. The last one in this series, and after Bring On The Band the most interesting, will be Human Touch, but let's get back into the funk-psych-jazz-pop-MOR-electronica-rock-folk niche the' IoF© has scraped out for itself.

    If you want to hear this, you know the form - ax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tbh, compiled, curated, or whateverthehellyouwannacallit, this is a nice disc.

    And, y e a h, probably one time works. But that's been true for most of Bruuuuuce for me for sometime. Partly it's your point about someone else's depression and partly, I think, because mostly they are a great bar band.

    Thanks for the time and effort and energy

    ReplyDelete
  3. When “Darkness” was released, I was happy that the glossy sheen of “Born in the USA” was gone. At first, I thought it was OK, but after repeated listening, it became depressing, and slid off my “ooh-want-to-hear-this list” also.

    I’ve revisited “Darkness” a few times over the years, after hearing a song on the radio, or in a coffee shop etc. etc. thought to myself: “I should give it another chance.” While it does contain some classic Bruce, it always leaves me thinking, it’a “bummer”

    That said, I would like to hear the recovery version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In that last post, I got Bruce's “Born” records mixed up.
    So it goes…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S'okay, Babs. There was always something a little odd about using the word "Born" in two album titles, anyway. It took me a while to accept and appreciate BTR for what it is, and while I can never love it like I love the earlier albums, I'll take it over Born In The Darkness On The Edge Of Town. If he and his exceptionally great band hadn't been giving spectacular concerts during this period, I don't think he'd have made it through this album. It was always the tours, with the albums as souvenirs.

      Delete
    2. Dude, what? Subtly shitting on "Born To Run" ("love it like the earlier albums"...huh?!...Don't you mean "the earlier album"???) - what's next - you're going to argue that The Monkees are better than the Beatles???

      Delete
    3. OBG, if you reed the antecedent screed, you'll see I think BTR is a perfect album, incapable of being improved. So your "dude, what?" is lost on me. But it never made me feel quite as good as TWTIATESS, nor as the first album in all its imperfection.

      (And Monkees RECORDS can be as good as/better than Beatles RECORDS, for reasons I'm not going into again).

      Delete
    4. Just some good-natured ribbing, together with the Monkees joke.

      Didn't come off well, huh? Difficult to do this on the internet. No modulation of tone or voice. And I don't use smileys...

      Delete
    5. You owe me nothing. As it should be.

      Delete
  5. The whole "this album is a bummer" was by design, you can pull an album of more Spector-ian stuff from "The Promise" that follows that road (and Farq used some of those for the more optimistic tone here, seemingly). But of course, "Darkness" gave Bruce respectability. And then he tried to mix both of these types of albums together for "The River", which to my ears, doesn't work for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well duh, of course it's a bummer by design (gee, thanks, Bruce!) and not a haphazard result of random events. It gave him respectability because Rock Critics respect depressed artists and depressing records because they're serious and honest and whatever, and yes, they're all that. Depressing, too.

      Delete
    2. "Darkness" was really the album where the divide between serious, downer Bruce and good-timin' party Bruce became obvious. So he scrapped all the good-timin' stuff for more than thirty years and went with "all downer", then split the diference on "River" with...uh...mixed results.

      Makes you appreciate how the two tones/moods could co-exist so effortlessly on those earlier records

      Delete
    3. I think his depression kicked in with BTR, but there was enough romance in his soul to fight it off. He embraced the darkness with DOTEOT, only to realise he needed more upbeat songs for the live performances, so he wrote 'em, and they're what save The River - was there ever a more joyous song than Hungry Heart, even with its despairing "back here at the bar again" lyric? It's also the only song I know of that is sung in its entirety by the audience, an incredible achievement by both sides. It's also incredible that such a downbeat guy could whip up such a storm of loving energy for and from millions of people worldwide - anyone who goes to a Springsteen concert comes away changed, for the better. It's the redemptive power of rock n' roll, it's real, more real than work or money, and it needs a messiah up there to make it happen, to set the spirit free.

      Delete
  6. Nice alternate version, it's still a downer though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. My work here is done. Some roots reggae coming up.


      (For those that missed it, the link is here: September 16, 2021 at 6:43 AM)

      Delete
  7. There is a difference between being a "troubadour of the highway" and a "the guy who wrote too many songs about cars." Oh...AND HELL YEAH...."the live shows." This was when the Five Amazing Radio Broadcasts really changed how I listened to Springsteen...the albums weren't what I went to...it was the live tape from Winterland, and the one from the Agora...both broadcast by KSAN here in San Francisco (the Agora was not live...but a they got a tape and broadcast it after the fact...). In contrast to the Darkness LP...the shows lumped the Darkness tracks at the start of the show, tossed in unreleased songs like "Fire", "Because The Night, "The Promise", and "The Fever"," "Paradise By The C," "Sherry Darling" in the middle, and brought down the house with the "Born To Run" and "Wild, Innocent" etc. tracks mixed with uptempo covers. The LP he was promoting was a downer, but the shows promoting it were anything but that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw him in '75, changed my life. Made me the bum I am today, in fact.

      Delete
    2. Since, above, you say that anyone who goes to s Springsteen concert is change for the better...ipso facto, that means that being a bum is better than what ever state you were in before that. Hurray for B-r-u-u-u-c-e!

      Delete
    3. I have attained Dharma Bumhood. Took a lifetime of avoiding employment and emerging from bad times with the good.

      Delete
    4. '75 here, which was early in the Bay Area. I was aware of the "New Dylan" hype, which put me off, as I not only didn't need a NEW Dylan, I wasn't all that impressed with the '71 to '75 output of the OLD Dylan (Pat Garrett, Dylan, Planet Waves..none of 'em were important to me..so it was New Morning in 1970 and Blood on the Tracks in 1975...I was 14 for the first and 19 for the last; the OLD Dylan didn't mean anything during my teen years.

      Born to Run got some Bay Area airplay in late September early October...it hit the mid 20s on KYA-AM. And since this is Broooce...let's talk about cars n' radios. I drove a 1952 Studebaker 2R pick-up I bought in '74 for $75. There was NO RADIO. My dad's cars were all 1969 vintage, so...there was a radio but it was AM only, no FM. We were 30 miles east of the City, with a 1,400 to 1,700 foot range of hills in between. FM was spotty, involving moving those wire FM antennas around to get stations to come in. So while the record says Springsteen was on the radio, I have no memory of having heard him at the time.

      So...I was going to see Springsteen on spec, based on the word of a notoriously unreliable friend. I was expecting...well, more like Dan Fogelberg, James Taylor. A sensitive guy with an acoustic guitar. I wasn't expecting a BAND at all. So the big blast of the E Street Band was exhilarating. Early on in the show I yelled in my friend's ear something about "these guys would sound GREAT on Mitch Ryder stuff"...so when the Detroit medley turned up as one of three encores an hour or so later, I was hooked. It was as if they had taken a request from me.

      The albums, though... while I ground the grooves off BTR right after that show, the albums were never where it was at for me. In some ways, it was like my friends who love the Grateful Dead but never listened to the albums. With Springsteen...I have heard live shows, both audience and FM and soundboards...FAR MORE than any of the "canon" albums.

      Delete
    5. You paid 75 bucks for a '52 'Stude? In '74? What has happened to the world?

      Delete
    6. I bought a Rambler Classic convertible the same year for $40 in perfect condition and drove it until I bought a 59 Nash Metropolitan in 1984, the Zippy the Pinhead car, in San Francisco with 1800 miles on it for $2k. Drove it for years then sent it to the one mechanic in town to do some work and he kept it until after the registration expired, parked it on the street, didn't tell me and it was auctioned off before I knew anything. He gave a Dodge Dart for my troubles. He did die a little later but still, small recompense.

      Delete