Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Babs Spits In Th' Eye Of Authority Dept.

It’s 1958 [writes Babs - Ed.] and I’m outside my family’s house in Brooklyn Heights, New York City, where I’m waiting for my mother to take me to my weekly piano lesson. My brother and his friends are having a spitting contest on the street. My brother called out to me: “Hey Babs, watch how far we can spit!” With that, they all started spitting, as if it was some kind of Olympic event. I asked my brother, “How do you spit that far?” He told me: “It’s easy, swish your mouth around, until you have a big wad of saliva, take a deep breath, and spit it out as hard and fast as you can! Go ahead, Babs see how far you can spit!” So I followed my brother’s instructions, and just as the spit left my mouth, I heard my mother’s voice. “Babs! What are you doing? That’s unladylike behavior!

Ten years later…
My brother was listed as missing in action during the Tet Offensive in Vietnam, when his cargo plane was shot down, long story short: he survived, but at the time, I never thought I’d see him again. Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert Kennedy did not survive. My mother told me my father was having recurring nightmares about when he served in The Second World War. Myself, I was pissed off and upset about all of it, and simultaneously having the time of my life at Caltech in Pasadena, California. As Charles Dickens wrote, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times ...

On campus, Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) were handing out flyers for a Peace Now Rally, a march from Caltech to the bandshell in Pasadena Memorial Park. The day of the march, a few friends from my dorm and I gathered on campus, waiting for the march to begin. My friend Jennifer showed up and said: “I’ve got some uppers!” and handed out black capsules like they were candy. The march started, and we started chanting "Bring the troops home now!” "Hell no, we won't go!” "Peace Now!” and the call of “What does democracy look like?” and the response of “This is what democracy looks like”. Things were peaceful, as we marched through Pasadena. Every so often, there was a heckler, who was promptly flipped the bird.

We marched in to Pasadena Memorial Park, and assembled in front of the band shell. Music was playing over the P.A. system. It was early evening, the sun was starting to set as various people gave speeches. The majority of the speeches were well written, and orated in a rational manner, while a few were well-meaning rhetoric, but a little eye roll inducing. The last speaker, however, was an over the top radical who called for violence, which I thought was strange, considering we were at the Peace Now Rally. The crowd was riled up, as we exited the park, and there were a few scuffles between anti and pro war supporters. By then the police presence was heavier, than it was earlier in the day. Things were turning violent, and ugly.

My friends and I stuck together, and I related to them something I read regarding what to do if protests turn violent. What I read was: hold both hands up, make two peace signs with your hands, and quickly walk away from the trouble. Walking away quickly was no problem for us, thanks to Jennifer’s “black beauties”. As we passed some police officers, someone (not us) made an OINK OINK sound, which made me smile. One of the officers, seeing me smile, thought I made the sound. So he grabbed my arm, and told me: “You need to shut up!” I told him: “It wasn’t me” he said: “I thought I told you to shut up! One more word out of you, and you will be arrested, OK?” foolishly I said: “For what?” he said: “That’s it, you are under arrest.” I reiterated: “For what?” he told me: “For being a stupid little hippie bitch, that’s what!” he cuffed me and told me: “I’m putting you in the paddy wagon, if you give me any problems, I swear to God, I’ll stick my nightstick up your c**t.” He walked me to the paddy wagon’s back doors, another officer opened the doors. While I was stepping up into the wagon, the officer who arrested me, held me still with one hand, put his other hand between my legs, roughly rubbed me, and said: “You like that, don’tcha, bitch?” In a nanosecond, I flashed back to 1958, and my brother’s spitting instructions, I turned my head around, and spit as hard as I could. And POW! Got ‘em right in his eye! At the Pasadena police station, I was charged with assaulting a police officer and inciting to riot. After being processed, I was put in a cell with other protesters I recognized from Caltech, two hookers and a drunk woman who was passed out on the floor, snoring loudly. Myself and the five other protesters from Caltech, started calling our selves: “The Caltech Six” which added much needed comic relief to our situation.

The next morning I was brought to municipal court, In the court’s holding cell, word got back to us, they’re dropping inciting to riot charges, but prosecuting drug and assault cases. When It was my turn to go before the judge, I waived legal counsel, after the arresting officer failed to show up. The judge read the police report, and said: “Spitting on a police officer? He looked up at me and said: “Well, that’s unladylike behavior! How do you plead?” I told the judge: “Guilty with an explanation” and explained to him what happened. When I got to part about the nightstick, the courtroom gasped, and gasped even louder when I told the judge about the officer’s hands on me. The Judge, who didn’t seem the least bit surprised, dropped the charges.

When I got back to my dorm I was exhausted from lack of sleep, the stress of being arrested, spending the night in jail and being in court. I rolled a big fat joint, put Thelonious Monk’s album Monk on my record player. While smoking the joint, I thought about the last twenty-four hours, and how Monk records always have a way of making me smile, and passed out during side one.

So here’s Thelonious' album, Monk. It was released in 1964, and tends to get overlooked. While it’s not his best album, it is a fun listen. I first heard the album in 1967, and it has a sentimental element to it, because one of the first songs I learned to play on piano was This Old Man which Monk retitled That Old Man which he plays as a 16-bar (AA-form) composition in E♭. Monk makes it sound so easy, until you try to play along with it. Later releases call it Children’s Song and Children’s Song (That Old Man) as it is on the expanded edition I’m linking. Other highlights include: Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away), April in Paris, Pannonica, Teo, plus a medley of Just You, Just Me/Liza (All The Clouds'll Roll Away), not on the original release.

It’s a really nice album. [Like, digsville! - Ed.]

33 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If anyone wants to help the planet with a sustainable, ethically-sourced @192 rip (th' bitrate o' th' workin' stiff) instead of Babs' bloated, ozone-depleting Ceausescu Palace of a rip, ax!

      Delete
  2. Blimey, Babs...I mean I was hassled by the police back when long hair was considered seditious, but nothing remotely like the shit you experienced. Of course, there's the gender aspect that must have emboldened the cop.
    Have things changed? Not really - and there's the problem. Nothing's been done for far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for the album, Babs. I only had the original version.

    Any interest in a Monk biography? I have an epub of "Thelonious Monk: The Life & Times of an American Original" by Robin Kelley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shall be yours!

      https://workupload.com/file/6fhVaLVU2zP

      Delete
    2. Thank 'ee! Hey - all the Stateside 4/5g© ain't even out of bed yet - no wonder their county's goin' to shit, the lazy-assed bums. Me, I put in a day's solid already.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome, SteveShark, and thank you for the bio!

      Delete
    4. Farq, your mentioning having put in a full day brought to mind a swell potential feature: A Day in the Life of Farquhar Throckmorton III. Though you've treated us to plenty of brief snatches of life upon the Isle®, I for one lack any sense of what a typical day might be composed. (Sorry about the Nameless Band reference in my proposed name for the feature; I'm sure you could come up with something far niftier.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Babs, the story and Monk. As a kid tagging along with my parents who were doing the professors version of yours, I saw the same things and they really had an impact. I don't think it is an accident I study revolutions, resistance, and rebellion. My mother, an attractive woman who could turn her German accent on and off at will would smile sweetly and tell them they were acting like Nazi storm troopers. Popular gal in BRLA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever written to congratulate someone on their spitting -- but congratulations.
    I'm listening to the Monk album. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Monk story concerns "5 by Monk by 5" also with Charlie Rouse. It was my only Monk LP back in the days when Riverside Monk albums were hard to find. I had loaned it to John Sinclair (subject of Lennon's worst song) and he kept it for 6 months, but returned it in good shape, and wrote poems based on "I Mean You" and "Ask Me Now". But then I loaned it to a friend who left it in the sun when we went skinny dipping at the old gravel pit. It was unplayable even with a stack of quarters on the tone arm. It took him a year to find a replacement copy.
    Years later I bought it the day it came out on CD. I tend to forget how much harder it was to find some albums back in the 60s. Thanks, Babs. I had this on vinyl, but not on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Sinclair's still around, no?

      Delete
    2. John currently lives in Amsterdam, where he founded Radio Free Amsterdam.

      You can say hello here: Amsterdamhttps://radiofreeamsterdam.org/

      Delete
    3. That's kinda cool. My folx knew him in passing I think--a meeting in New Orleans I think?--and my mother will be highly amused.

      Delete
    4. Lol--turns out my mother knew (I should never have doubted) and is not particularly amused as she was never much of a fan; there you go.

      Delete
    5. You're welcome, Hugh.

      Delete
    6. As I hear it, Sinclair started as a jazz merchant in Detroit before associating with the MC5. Hence my never believing the respectable meaning of "Kick Out The Jams". I think it was Johnny Griffin who coined the "JAMF" acronym.

      Delete
  7. You turned in a great piece of screed, Babs, and here's as high a five as I can manage these days. It occurred to me while *curating* the images for this piece that subsequent generations - the selfie-obsessed - would find it incomprehensible that someone can not have a photographic record of their life, including the meals they ate. I don't have any photographs of myself in the 'sixties, not one. Nobody carried a camera around taking snapshots of each other getting stoned or hanging in coffee shops or whatever dull everyday shit we were doing, leave alone participating in public events like protest marches or festivals. And if we wanted to share something, well, we shared it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally last week my students were discussing this as well as the time and energy and effort they expend curating--no scare quotes--their lives for themselves and others. They are locking in a narrative that'll make the narratives we created for ourselves look like nothing. It's kinda fascinating....

      Delete
    2. I've been a photo nut my whole life. Had my first darkroom when I was 12. I have an insane number of photos from my life, all except the years 1966 to 1969. I spent two months in San Francisco during the summer of 67 but didn't take photos because I was too busy experiencing it.

      Delete
    3. " ... didn't take photos because I was too busy experiencing it."

      And that's it, really. Babs and her friends were just that. You can't experience something - directly and fully - and be photographing it. I did nothing extraordinary at the tail end of the 'sixties/early 'seventies - drugs, hitch-hiking, music, the usual stuff - but at least I was *immersed* in it, not framing myself in a selfie. Decades of dullness ensued, marriage - employment - buying furniture - dinner parties - wanting shit and filling my life with it - before life got interesting again, and the photography ceased. A couple of years divesting myself, or being divested of, everything I thought I'd worked for. A year without keys and phone. Freedom, sex and drugs and gentle miracles in the land of my teenage dreams, making up for lost time, getting in just under the line. Not a photograph taken, nothing shared except with those I met.

      Today, you're recorded on face recognition software for walking down the street (another advantage of masking up), leave alone joining in a demonstration. Your life is curated on social media, and freedom is in the claws of "scary quotes".

      Delete
    4. Just a thought - with deepfake photos and video, anyone can be seen to do anything, and the developing technology can only make that easier to achieve and less difficult to expose as manipulation.

      Could it possibly be that in the future only the shared experience of the two parties actually involved in a "captured" moment will know the whole truth behind that moment?

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the high five Farquhar, glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was an SDS member in high school in Columbus, Ohio in 1969, 70. We'd cut class and head over to OSU and square off with the National Guard. I'd steal teargas canisters they would deploy at us, in a trashbag, and them back to school. The old ventilator systems were huge, unscreened, and you could climb inside, go up a half story to the horizontal shafts and set your canister there. They'd have to shut down who wings of the school. We'd be outside passing out lists of demands. One day at OSU it was particularly brutal and I hit a National Guardsmen in his helmented head with a brick. I was wearing an American flag suede vest with long fringe. The next day my gym teacher grabbed me pretty violently, spun me around (I was 14, 5'1' and weighed 86 pounds so maybe it wasn't so violent) and said if he was my father he'd beat my ass, I told him if he was my father I'd shoot him in his sleep. Once in the principal's office he says Look at this. Principal says what, jackass twirls me around. Principal says what. Gym teacher says the vest. Principal, looking a little bored, asks what about it? It doesn't violate the dress code. Gym teacher says a radical hit him in the head with a brick the day before and was wearing a vest just like mine. No one had reported me for missing from class and a cursory inspection of attendance concluded I was at school. If I hadn't started laughing my ass off, I'd have probably been okay but I didn't and was no longer allowed to wear my vest at school. Principal said it was disrespectful to laugh at the guy for being attacked. I said i couldn't help myself and the guy was consistently a jerk who deserved it. The first year I had that teacher I never showed for gym and got straight A's. This last quarter I got an F. Well deserved I might add. Loved your story Babs. I loved those days, putting the man up against the wall! Thanks for the post and the sounds. We still may overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Babs, thank you for the Monk and the story, and thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right on, Babs! Power to the People! I was detained a couple times as an activist in the 90s but never charged, "man-handled," and certainly not sexually assaulted the way you were. That cop certainly lived up to the Pig caricature. Thanks for Fighting the Power, the great story, and the great music! Peace ☮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I find funny about sexual assault is:
      Harvey Weinstein: incarcerated.
      Bill Cosby: incarcerated, released on a technicality.
      Brett Kavanaugh: Appointed Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.

      Delete