Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Texan Tumbleweed

Can't have too much Nesmith, right? Well, this is the collection that says, yes, you can. This is everything I could find that's not on an album, but I'm sure there are a few more songs out there that slipped the net. A chakra-numbing sixty-five tracks that not even the most swivel-eyed Nesfan will find time to sit through. Four hours, if you think you're hard enough. But that's not the point. You can dip in and out as you like, assemble coherent playlists, or just feel good about having it without ever getting around to playing it. It's a ragbag collection of frayed threads from the intellectual of the group, from his earliest home demos and singles through to the New Age Synth Years, including Elephant Parts, alternate mixes, live tracks (except the Roundhouse Concert, available separately) and a few songs that were released as expanded edition bonus tracks after I collected them. Some of it is revelatory - Curson Terrace, an early single, shows the unlikely influence of Bo Diddley mentioned in his autobiography. If you like Nesmith, there's not a track you won't enjoy, but snack, don't binge!


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm just about to dive into yer Nesmith live stuff. I'd like to hear what you assembled here. Any chance for a reup? Thanks for the others!

      Delete
  2. I write, briefly, to just say "Thank You" for this extra Michael Nesmith. As I type, the download is progressing, slowly. It's not you, it's me. And where I live and work. I find I oft times must start a download and leave my location to "toil in the fields, etc." I'll return to this hopefully in the next X hours and see what gives. What with my unpredictable schedule, I don't know when I will be able to listen on my audio device of choice. I do so look forward to finding the time to listen to what looks and appears to be a wonderful assortment of wonderful music. You are much too kind to share these treats, especially to those of us who can not "plow and harvest" for our selves. Muchas gracias, pardner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. De nada! Much more Nes/related still in the vaults, but Susannah Hoffs has been begging me for so long to feature her unreleased album - promising all kinds of R-rated incentives - so that must take precedence. Thanks for your comment - you write exceedingly well for a horny-handed son of the soil, a stout yeoman of the fields who tills the good earth that we may partake of nature's bounty and yea thrive thereby. Are you in advertising?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Found it, and with a serious helping of gratitude and thanks again from me.

      Delete