Friday, April 19, 2019

Ritz Cracker

It was the the song titles on that first Church album that got my synapses popping like bubblewrap; Unguarded Moment, Bel-Air, Is This Where You Live, Memories In Future Tense ... I just knew it had to be good. And there was a long track! All proper rock albums have a long track. The music didn't disappoint - a rush of guitars, Kilbey's off-kilter croon, and tunes that got stuck in and wouldn't let go. Real choruses. Real guitar breaks. Real poetry that really meant something, even if you weren't really sure what. Back then, when musicianship of this calibre seemed to be beyond anyone under thirty, this was manna from heaven. In the following decades, I've bought everything the band's done. I'm a fan. I'm aware that those first few albums (up to but strangely not including Starfish) are the most special for me, and still the most-played, but the band have never stopped making music worth my hard-earned dollar.

Live In New York was recorded at the start of their breakthrough tour of the US [United States - Ed.] at the Old Ritz, and it's the live album they should have released. As old a fanboi as I am, I have to admit that most Church bootlegs I've heard are, er, unworthy of them. Never had the good luck to see them live, but those who have attest to the power and excitement they generate, so it's unfortunate that this recording never got an official release, because it's wildly, insanely great. Recording quality is very, very good, setlist impeccable, and the band whips up a fucking storm. Plus I done a cover redolent of the period.

I asked Steve if I could post it here, and he said, "Post it by all means mate." So here it is, in all its bohemian finery, nearly two blazing hours of The Church in New York, finishing with a melt-down sixteen minute You Took you'll need therapy to recover from.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, sort of. I seem to recall hearing some bits and pieces of Church music when it was popular to do so. I took a first listen to your offering and determined that I've become an atheist/agnostic who will likely not return to The Church. As a freedom-lover, big time, I applaud your actions to let we, the people, decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internet is nothing if not the broadest of churches. A true democracy depends on the free exchange of ideas, and you have exemplified that freedom with your comment, which is as welcome as it is wise. Please help yourself to a refreshing beverage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This absolutely free internet is amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but remember everything you write is written by me, along with all the other comments. So let's be nice to myself.

      Delete