Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Steve Shark's Blue Note Bonanza Dept.


Ask a crowd of people [urges Steve Shark - Ed.] in a busy street to name a jazz record label and the few answers you'll get - apart from "HUH???" and "Outta my way, you hipster bum!" - will probably be "Blue Note".

The brainchild of Albert Lion - a German emigre jazz fan - the label took off in 1937 with funding from left-wing activist Max Margulis (who later taught Sir Laurence Olivier how to sing!) and concentrated on boogie woogie and "hot" jazz. Its first hit was Sidney Bechet's "Summertime" in 1939, recorded after several major labels had turned him down. After this, the label soon acquired an "artist friendly" reputation, with sessions scheduled to suit the musicians, liberal alcoholic refreshments provided, and a lot of say in how the recordings were produced.

Rudy n' Alfred, 1960
Lion's friend Francis Wolff soon came on board, but the war put a hold on the label for a couple of years until 1943, when business resumed, with records being supplied to the armed forces. Tenor sax player Ike Quebec was signed and he eventually became a talent scout for the label for nearly 20 years. Even though Quebec was rooted in big band jazz and swing, he brought many bebop acts to the attention of Blue Note. This opened the door for Thelonious Monk, and then a veritable flood of players including Miles Davis, James Moody, Bud Powell and Tadd Dameron, to name but a few of the earlier bop signings.

Over the following years, the players and the records kept on coming, but it's far beyond the scope of this piece to name them all. The label itself changed hands several times, passing as a subsidiary from one major record company to another. At one point it was mothballed for 6 years, but then revived when jazz began to sell to a wider demographic in the mid 1980s.

Fortunately, the label still exists and is rightly famed for its massive and prestigious catalogue as well as its iconic cover art.

So, where do you start if you want to explore the Blue Note output of more than 1000 albums over an 85 year lifespan?

Well, you could do a lot worse than "The Blue Box" [left - Ed.] - a 4 CD set of tracks covering well over half a century of jazz on the label from Bechet's "Summertime" in 1939 to John Scofield in 1993 with "Message to My Friend".

Of course, with all anthologies - particularly one taken from such a vast back catalogue - there are going to be glaring omissions for many disappointed listeners, but it's a very well-compiled collection, which ignores the tracks' chronology to its advantage. Ex-Miles guitarist John Scofield following Monk's "Round Midnight" isn't the jarring change of mood that it could have been, as the track chosen features Sco (with Pat Metheney) on acoustic guitar. Sympathetic sequencing of the 43 tracks makes this a pleasurable and cohesive listening experience.

Accompanying the discs is a booklet detailing each track, the history of the label and mini bios of each performer, together with many of those classic cover photos. It's a nice set!





This post funded in part by Kathy's Katheter n' Krutch Shoppe, Smearville, GA.


52 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Which fictional character would you date?"

      Delete
    2. Ditto to Emma Peel.
      And Steve, that's the best brief history of Blue Note that I've ever read.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Clarence - very kind!

      Delete
    4. A date with a fictional character? I couldn't think of a finer hunk of ass than Jessica Rabbit.

      Delete
  2. Emma Peel is fictional???? My world is now out of kilter . . .

    -Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The votes for Emma are "Rigged"...

      Delete
    2. That may be so, but she sure was 'purdey'
      Oh no that was The New Avengers... I'll vote for Purdey as played by the gorgeous Joanna Lumley then.

      Delete
    3. She scrubs up nicely, even going through the car-wash.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggi8IfQ31nc

      Delete
    4. I liked Joanna as Patsy Stone.

      Delete
    5. Agreed, she reinvented herself after Patsy, she's popular now on travel programmes in the uk.

      Delete
  3. Well, if this is just hypothetical, then 100% the conjoined twins from Geek Love:
    https://www.wired.com/2014/03/geek-love/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geek Love epub here: https://workupload.com/file/QAe5dWGB2Ez

      Delete
    2. Nice! Turns any phone into a Fabulon, just like that!

      Delete
    3. I've always thought a Greek Love film, would be a good project for Tim Burton or Terry Gilliam.

      Delete
    4. Or even a Studio Ghibli film.

      Delete
    5. Uh ... Greek Love is something else, I think ...

      Delete
    6. Studio Ghibli would work just fine.

      Delete
  4. As I live close to Bangkok: Emmanuelle!
    Excellent Blue Note compilation, highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be in Bankers mid-October, if you're up for a spliff.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a plan despite being a non-smoker ;-)

      Delete
  5. Here's the Blue Note Blue Box.

    https://workupload.com/file/X2vpquVJGVQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a wonderful collection for the seasoned Jazzbo, or for someone just getting into Jazz.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's just about perfect - a double wouldn't have covered enough ground and a mega set would have been too cumbersome to assimilate.

      Delete
  6. what the hell is dating? this is a term that has long mystified me.
    possibly checking for something spoiled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the UK, we "went out with". Never "dated". And never referred to someone we were going out with as a "date", neither. I think both terms mean the same thing - something you have to do before you get to the sex, if it gets that far. Nor did we "go steady" - that was "going out with", only mostly indoors.

      Delete
    2. Before "going out with" it was called "courting" - my parents used to call it that. I never did - it had long fallen out of use.

      Here's another take on it - courtesy of Chuck Berry and Messers Cooder and Lindley.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJMVsrPcRtg

      Delete
    3. I've always liked the expression "to set your cap at someone" a bit before my time I hasten to add but my grannie used to use it

      Delete
    4. And I'll go with "carrying a torch." Seems to imply an odd combination of futility, hard work, and slight menace . . . or self-menace, as the case may be.

      --Muzak McMusics

      Delete
    5. thank you all for this ride down the sidetrack of love. also thank you for the wonderful blues and blister.

      Delete
    6. Jerry Seinfeld (to leggy dame): Do you date immature men?
      Leggy dame: Exclusively.
      (shared look)

      That show was mostly about dating failure, wasn't it?

      Delete
  7. In the spirit of loving sharingness, here's a Bonus Blue Note Blister-Pack!

    Those ingredients in full:

    😎 Mellow The Mood - first-ever Blue Note album release!
    😎 Ike Quebec - Blue & Sentimental (my fave bestest jazz album, like, ever!!!!)!
    😎 Ike Quebec - The Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions! (I like Ike!)

    https://workupload.com/file/68h2Hqbfgxz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing stuff and Grant Green is just the icing on the cake on B&S Very rootsy for a jazz guitarist back then.
      Do you like Earl Bostic?

      Delete
    2. More towards the juke box/pop side of jazz, but a stunningly good player and greatly admired by Coltrane, apparently. I think I heard Bostic before any other sax player, looking back, although the first jazz album I remember at home was "Spontaneous Combustion", so it might have been Cannonball who popped my jazz sax cherry.

      Delete
  8. OFF TOPIC

    Hey Farqster and Swami. A friend contacted me yesterday, he was going to drive up to Oxford to see the first post covid Bevis Frond gig, did I want to go. “Yesireee!” I said. So last night in a room above a pub 120ish people witnessed ‘The Frond’ play a fabulous set of mainly old plus a few new songs, it was wonderful, I’m still buzzin’ (only intoxicants was two and a half pints of Vocation Life and Death beer). It wasn’t just old gits in the audience, there were younger people and quite a few women too. At the back of the room was a well stacked merch table, cd’s, vinyl and tees, that was decently priced, and which I had the willpower to resist (I have no more room and I don’t want to be one of those sad people found crushed to death by a wobbly stack of hundreds of albums), even though there was triple and double vinyl editions of North Circular and Clocks.
    They have five more gigs in England and Scotland over the next week or so (Hastings 10th July being the last). I highly recommend seeing this great band.

    See below:-
    https://falsememoryfoam.blogspot.com/search?q=bevis+frond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy's a national treasure. Criminally under-appreciated, but still producing fabulous music.

      Delete
    2. He's a diamond geezer and I had all the original vinyl, but there's nothing that lingers. I envy you the gig, though! I used to live in Oxford, back when it was a real town.

      Delete
    3. I don't know Oxford at all, the venue was Jericho Tavern on Walton Road an old pub I would guess. It seems in a 'posh' area, yet there were people begging and the signs of homelessness. This country is getting much worse, I fear for the weak and vulnerable.

      Delete
    4. It wasn't a posh area when I lived there! I just looked it up on an internet - 11.50 GBP for a pie in a pub?! What the actual?! No artisanal nonsense back then either, just beer and greasy calories. Last time I was there (over a decade ago) I was depressed by the self-adoring, self-conscious "Oxford World" theme park it had become.

      Delete
    5. I had a year at Oxford when I managed to get on a degree course after completing my 3 year teacher training course. This was in about 1973 and it really was the Oxford I thought it might be. One of my fondest memories is of the coffee stall in the covered market just round the corner from Exeter College. I used to buy half a pound of the best Mocha coffee I've ever tasted, as a poor student's treat.

      Delete
    6. The excellent beer in the pub was very expensive £6 a pint, but I often pay around £5 a pint in Dorsetshire. I still remember being shocked when beer reached £1 a pint :-o

      Delete
    7. Here is the official video for a song from the latest Frond album. All instruments played by Nick Saloman.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyGZ3l1hmew

      Delete
    8. £5 a pint? Holy crap. I haven't been to a UK pub for about 5 years, but I'd never have imagined it was a fiver now.

      Delete
    9. I think the average in Dorsetshire is a little over £4, but there are drinking establishments from here about £3

      Delete
  9. Holly Golightly or Eliza Doolittle

    Bucephalus

    ReplyDelete