Friday, June 24, 2022

The Fashion Plate And The Plumber's Mate Dept.

The link between these apparently diverse albums from Grace Jones and Joe Cocker is the band; Robbie Shakespeare on bass, Sly Dunbar on drums, Barry Reynolds and Mikey Chung on guitar, Wally Badarou on keys - the core of the Compass Point All Stars, house band at Chris Blackwell's Bahamas studio, where they were recorded. 

Nightclubbing was a huge, huge crossover hit in '81. Sheffield Steel, a few months later ... aaah ... not so much. It suffered from a wildly inappropriate title (the grim northern city meant little or nothing to a global audience, and had nothing to do with the music) and a wilfully foul cover. I've retitled and redesigned it, because this is how I rock, dudes, but it's your choice.

Grace was at home on an island in the sun, in the zeitgeist, on point. Joe was a transplant; a misfit in any age, looking forward and back, uncertain of his bearings. They're both terrific albums, and that Compass Point groove is fresh as ocean spray on a summer day.




EDIT: Some great links in the comments (although not to these albums, which everybody has, apparently), and a special mention for art58koen's share of Barry Reynold's I Scare Myself [left - Ed.] from both '82 and Compass Point.







29 comments:

  1. I had a topic for Mass Debate, but I forgot it awready, so if Babs could step up to the plate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know why birds appear when you are near.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...just don't play the drums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are two really great albums. Island record label, home to many of my favourite albums of the 70's and 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll sweeten the pot with Sly & Robbie's 'Taxi Fare'.

      Delete
    2. I can add a bit of extra heat with "Hot Dub".

      Delete
    3. Go on then, you two. Walk the talk. (Hot Dub I have - I think it's been antecedent here - but Taxi Fare I don't. Others' mileage may differ.

      Delete
    4. Here's Sly & Robbie's 'Taxi Fare'.
      https://workupload.com/file/ACxmfXYeFBb

      Delete
    5. And here's 'Hot Dub'.
      https://workupload.com/file/urLugXWtNgZ

      Delete
  5. Brilliant album, I got it long time ago and later downloaded the additional tracks (from the remastered version). Related to this is Barry Reynolds one & only solo album I Scare Myself with the same band, absolutely brilliant. In 1982 I bought it in Bangkok on a cassette tape (having no idea what to expect, but recognized some songs), later in Holland on vinyl, and finally back in Bangkok on CD. Let me know if you'd like the digital version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today's topic for Mass Debate is: What is your earliest memory?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning to walk, age under two. Across the carpet, between my Dad and Mum on their knees.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Learning to swim in a bag full of cats.

      Delete
  7. Here's Barry Reynold, complete with scanned booklet: https://mega.nz/file/DRcBEA6T#Bn_bPMXmTEdqkNQdHTILhUo9c8iNaKWZVEjiv4aItmc
    Earliest memory..., tough, just got my hands on some photos from my earliest days, but nothing looks familiar. I vaguely recall playing with a toy boat, perhaps when I was 3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Art, this should be splendid.

      Earliest memory, playing with a slow worm (European legless lizard) in garden. Or maybe earlier my mum pouring baked beans on my head, when I was being an asshole aged 4ish.

      Delete
  8. Falling Down the Steps when I was under 3.
    My first concussion.

    john

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being upset when my parents brought my little brother home after he was born, I was all of 4 years old ! Yes links would be great !!
    Ned

    ReplyDelete
  10. Earliest memory - being bathed in a tin bath. I know I was less than 2 then because of where we lived.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My earliest memory - eating ice cream on a beach in Kennebunk, Maine (my father's hometown), with my grandmother, watching my older brother and grandfather playing in the surf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. State O' Maine? I visit Ocean Park (part of Saco/Biddeford area) Maine every Summer... Early memory? Holding my Mother's hand and her stating "do not be afraid of the waves". Then a large wave knocked us both over...

      Delete
  12. Earliest memory : waking up on a foam flecked beach with the surf lapping round my feet wondering where the hell I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were there little yellow plastic ducks floating around?

      Delete
  13. You're right, there were, did you see them too? Do you know where we are? Is there any escape?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey where is the Cocker link - stop playing that game you old f

    ReplyDelete
  15. Earliest memory: watching Rodan, The Flying Monster on a black and white television while under the not-so-watchful eye of a baby sitter. Age? Four at the oldest. It was terrifying and ruined me for life.

    ReplyDelete