Friday, August 27, 2021

Delta Del On Living The Blues

Delta Del living the blues, yesterday

Greetings, people of the Foam, Delta Del here with another informative piece on matters blues-related.  Perhaps some of you have been wondering how does an English bluesman, or more specifically an internationally known imaginary Free Blues guru-tarist from England, spend his days?  Well, here’s a little number about exactly that, and it goes somethin' like this …

I woke up this mornin, and for breakfast I had a ham hock in my cornflakes as part of my soul-diet.  This special diet was prescribed by my rocknroll doctor after I suffered recurring bouts of pubrockitis, an unpleasant condition endemic in the alehouses of Olde England.  Symptoms include complete loss of groove, an irresistible compulsion to play Roadhouse Blues, again, badly, and a sudden inexplicable fondness for the songs of Eric Clapton, including in the most extreme cases, Wonderful Tonight.  Treatment via soul-diet is usually very effective, but severe cases may require prolonged isolation in a sensory deprivation zone, such as a Travelodge, while a looping mix of James Brown squeals, shrieks and grunts is piped continuously into their room.

After my soul-diet breakfast I embark on a rigorous front porch workout.  It’s 30 minutes intense action on the rocking chair, which is connected to the internet for motivational encouragement.  Apparently yesterday I was “Smashing it!” and indeed a small fragment of rocking chair splinter did embed itself in my behind.  Which was fine as it counted towards my daily quota of bad luck n troubles.  

For lunch it’s usually a red beans and rice based dish.  I habitually substitute white toast for the rice element, and I favour Heinz baked beans as they are a deeper shade of red than rival brands.  I wash em down with hard liqueur, Baileys Irish Cream that’s been in the freezer.  After lunch I often pop down to the amusement arcade for some reckless gamblin, and try my luck on the penny-pile-shoving machine.  I always emerge at least 10p poorer, and as I try my luck there every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, my status as a 3-time loser is rarely threatened.   And what of the ladies?  The bluesman’s number one preoccupation and lyrical inspiration, surely a main squeezy mama must feature prominently in Delta Del’s life?  You would think so, but my woman done left me cryin' again.  I pay extra for that of course, but it’s worth it.

Relaxing at home in the evenings with my pet rattlesnake Elmore and his soon-to-be-supper companions, Pixie and Dixie, I immerse myself in the music of the blues greats who inspired me to become what I am today. And, although my eyesight is fading now as I approach my 93rd birthday, I still enjoy using the Swiss Army groover, handed down to me by my grandfather Delta Dick, as I set about my gaily coloured plastic bag [huh? - Ed.].  

And thence to bed.  I draw the line at layin' my worried head on the cold hard ground of course, as I have discovered that even the smoothest, flattest rocks simply will not make anything remotely resembling a pillow.  And so at last to sleep, perchance to dream again of the endless A303, unwinding before me as I motor West in my Morris Minor soft-top, with the blooze spinning wild ’n loud on the in-car Victrola.

And that, people of the Foam, was a day in the life of an English bluesman. Cheerio!


Delta Del's luxury yacht The Whipping Post, currently plying the inland waterways of the United Kingdoms, England, is available for hire - corporate motivational courses, product launches, a speciality! Kosher menu on request!

33 comments:

  1. Delta Del will generously award a swell blues album of his choice to the first 4/5g© who can explain the references to "Swiss Army groover" and "gaily coloured plastic bag." Of ruck, rots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Gaily coloured (sic) plastic bag" is from Derek and Clive's Bo Duddley

    "Swiss Army groover" is an Ammunition can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babs here showing what a younivoicity edumacation does for yer!

      Delete
  3. preeminent lesson for swiss army groover were you a drummer https://youtu.be/FWujhMvA0Z4 but he's talking about the little swiss army knife with....well just look at the pics. https://www.bing.com/newtabredir?url=L2ltYWdlcy9zZWFyY2g%2FcT0lMjJzd2lzcythcm15K2dyb292ZXImcXB2dD0lMjJTd2lzcytBcm15K2dyb292ZXImRk9STT1JR1JF&be=1 I can think of many gaily colored plastic bag usages but am stumped in this sense. BTW OT My eulogy...Charlie Watts: He Swung Like A Donkey's Nuts is available for derision here.... https://www.bing.com/newtabredir?url=L2ltYWdlcy9zZWFyY2g%2FcT0lMjJzd2lzcythcm15K2dyb292ZXImcXB2dD0lMjJTd2lzcytBcm15K2dyb292ZXImRk9STT1JR1JF&be=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I screwed that last comment. Link to Charlie Watts: He Swung Like A Donkey's Nuts

    https://fivegunswest.blogspot.com/2021/08/charlie-watts-he-swung-like-donkeys-nuts.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even we dumb Americans know what a Swiss Army Knife is.
    The "gaily coloured plastic bag" is beyond us, though (this dumb American, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's that cleared up, then. All we have to do is wait for Delta Del to pony up an album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delta Del is away from his desk at the moment but as his personal assistant I am authorised to provide this youtube link by way of groover and plastic bag explanation …

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btS7-UoK2Oo

      I am now researching the meaning of “pony up” and will advise Mr. Del of an appropriate response on his return to the office.

      Delete
    2. Del's PA looks like Myra Nussbaum's uglier older sister.

      Delete
    3. Fabulous (even if it is very un-PC), Pete & Dud, always good for a laugh, and what a good boogie woogie piano player Dud was.

      Delete
    4. As a comment to the clip notes, this is a satire on the upper middle class English, and their total inability to understand black music. It's in no way mocking black musicians or music.

      Delete
    5. Yes absolutely that's what Pete and Dud were aiming at, I hope that 50-year old clip hasnt offended any Foam readers. And I hope it's also very clear that my intention is not to mock the blues or African-American culture. My target is polite and privileged English blues musicians singing in fake US accents about hard times they never had, routes they never took and Chevys they never drove.

      And I really will add a link to some actual blues in a minute.

      Delete
    6. Be quick, Del, I'm going to bed in an hour or so. Hey! It's dark here!

      Delete
    7. I’m ponyin up a Chess blues guitar 2CD compilation and a bunch of early Gatemouth Brown R&B …

      https://workupload.com/file/wFD6wDcppnz

      https://workupload.com/file/6mHC7KPASQ9


      Thanks for the comments, people of the Foam.

      Delete
    8. Thanks for the great post and the great music, Del!

      Delete
  7. a fine fun funny funky read Del! thnx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear your pain Delta Del, when you said about 'an irresistible compulsion to play Roadhouse Blues, again', I was reminded of my friends frustration about playing in a Soul Band, they specialize in playing rare Motown and other soul songs. Unfortunately most of the pub crowd only want Mustang Sally, I Heard it thru the Grapevine etc. I guess if you play in a blues band, being asked to play Roadhouse Blues, Got my Mojo Workin' and Hoochie Coochie Man for the 100th time must get annoying.
    Also for anyone outside of the UK, the A303 is the road West that most people try to avoid because it is so slow (or at least it used to be, I can avoid it).
    Anyway your screed made me laugh, cheers Groover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you start expressing a fondness for "Wonderful Tonight", it may be worthwhile getting a chum to check your pulse, especially if you smell funny.

    This UK bluesman's brekkie is coffee and a vape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed that and it made me pine for the British fjords.

    Gaily coloured plastic bags here in la France are put in trees to indicate that sex is for sale somehow. I haven't got any further details, but I'll let you know when I snag my first client.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When UK musicians rediscovered the blues in the 1960s, the parodists weren't idle.

    Here's the Bonzos with their attempt - "Can Blue Men Sing the Whites?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_iPAUplrdI

    Here's the Liverpool Scene - "I've Got These Fleetwood Mac Chicken Shack John Mayall Can't Fail Blues"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qjlq0p1-1Y

    And here's Pete Brown & His Battered Ornaments - "Travelling Blues or The New Used Jew's Dues Blues"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqOyilByZBA


    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes indeed SteveShark. I loved the Bonzos in particular back then, as a 14year-old one of the first things I learned to play on guitar was the 2-note riff from Big Shot. We used to jam it with my first teenage band. And my favourite bit of that track is still so far ahead it’s beautiful. Two notes and a free-blowin freak-out, it’s all ya need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing we're about the same age then? I'm 70 in October. Bound to have the same influences I suppose.

      Delete
    2. Mike Oldfield used Viv Stanshall to introduce the instruments on Tubular Bells. I'm sure the Bonzos Intro Outro was the inspiration for that album.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMqdwtd8TrQ

      Delete
  13. One of my favourite blues guitarists - the late Hollywood Fats. Expanded version with Fats' little Tijuana Bible included in the artwork.

    https://workupload.com/file/uMzFgrr3aA6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveShark

      I saw Hollywood Fats in New York, when he was part of The James Harman Band.

      Delete
  14. I hope no-one missed that BB/FF post earlier.
    The backing track version of FF with the sax solo is quite the most beautiful thing I've heard in a long while.
    Playing it on repeat and very loud.
    Thankyou, Farq!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Right on, brother! Keep on chooglin' and thanks for adding a little froth to the foam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Speaking of the Bonzos, this is perhaps the greatest of British Blues Guitar God solos, with the requisite genuflection from the rest of the band toward the BBGG:

    https://youtu.be/3hcZ4s9cvpw

    Vivian Stanshall also captures the tortured vocal artistry of the white boy with the woo-woos:

    "Do you mean it?"
    "Yes, I mean it!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the Bonzos live about this time. Very elaborate show, lots of props, something happening all the time, and all of it pants-wettingly funny.

      Delete