Monday, December 2, 2019

Spirituality

A quick one while I'm away today at my parole board hearing. Damn ankle bracelet slipped off onto a passing train, and they say it's my fault? Excuse me? Anyway, first up is this surprisingly high quality recording of Spirit at Ash Grove in '67. I believe this is both sets. Even if yez gots awready, dis cover will be a improvemink to what yez gots in dat line. Ain't it swell?


Next is the original nine-track vinyl release of Spirit Live from '78, always one of my favorite finger-waggle "live" albums. Randy California sweetened the tapes with overdubs, creating a high-gloss studio album from an assemblage of raw live recordings from different venues, much like Zappa. The difference between this and the sonic mess of the "newly remastered" version recently released is astonishing. This is just so much better. Night and day.

12 comments:

  1. The four or five of us were at the bike racks by your pad. We're leaving now since link is here already. You forgot to call me and tell me your PO was calling. I hope I didn't mess up too much. I didn't tell him you worked here and now I realize you were having me validate you were working. Tell him to call again and speak with the right person.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is this? All you had to do was to say yeah, he's slopping out the bathroom right now and can't come to the phone. How difficult was that? What is it with you guys? Now there's this stupid bracelet business I have to figure out. They were in Anaheim waiting for me and they're pissed.

      Delete
  2. Is it possible to get a track list? They're all mixed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should fall right into place if you slide them into iTunes. Also, they're tagged in track order and by album name. But I'm perfectly prepared to make a few long-haul flights and meet you at your convenience (and expense) to help you arrange the mp3 files in order if you fail to accomplish this task. Here to help.

      Delete
  3. Thanks. One of my favorite bands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a young lad, tripping balls on Orange Sunshine, I caught Spirit ca. 1968 at the Shrine Auditorium in LA. By then they'd graduated from club scene to the larger venues housing hippie dances. Even from my perch in one of the Shrine's sky-high loges, I was struck that the band's kick-asss drummer looked like an old dude. It was years later I found out that Ed Cassidy was Randy California's stepfather and had been playing the tubs professionally since the '30s. Much thanks for these rarities.
    And on the bracelet thing, plausible deniability works okay in politics, usually, but not so much with POs, I've found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to check that '30s date, but he slips in under the line, doesn't he? What an incredible guy. Actor and writer, too. Check out Stuttgart Say Goodbye on Tent Of Miracles for some of his superhip wordage - one of the few examples of spoken-word poetry in rock that really works.

      Delete
    2. I do love this band thanks for one I midder along the way

      Bill@24hr

      Delete
  5. Thanks and good luck -- if you chop your foot off it may help explain how the ankle bracelet "fell off." Definitely worth it if it keeps you off the parchment farm

    ReplyDelete