Friday, November 29, 2019

Back To The Future

If there's one album that sums up the spirit of sixties pop - and by extension the sixties - it may be this one. Once Upon A Dream wouldn't be the first choice of many, because it's perceived as a minor Pepper clone, or embarrassingly naive, or pretentious over-reaching, or way past its sell-by date, or simply because it's by The Rascals (seriously?).

Well, yeah. If you want to go that route, you can file it under charming period piece or whatever and move on. Which I did for many years. It seemed all of the above; the sound of a pop group punching over its weight, trying to cover all the bases without reaching one. Enough sporting metaphors already. But for reasons I can't explain, repeated plays have revealed what a gorgeous piece of work this is. Here's a quote from a very informative Allmusic review: "It's an under-celebrated masterpiece of the psychedelic era and belongs next to Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper's on the shelf, because it is easily as sophisticated, and once heard in its entirety, can never be forgotten." He's right, and I join the ranks of believers who love this album as much as those sixties benchmarks.

So why is it under-celebrated, under-rated, and under the radar? Why doesn't it ever make the Top Fifty Greatest Pop Albums This Week You Must Hear Before You Die lists? Why am I asking you? Me, I don't have a clue. But I think it may be because of its stylistic range. An entire album could have been recorded in the style of any one of these songs - even the OTT soundtrack swell of My Hawaii - and been a success. There's everything sixties in here, from blue-eyed soul to sitar bliss-outs, and it's all too much. But in a good way, without the slightest taint of irony or cleverness; the album is saturated with the spirit of hope and peace and love, and not without a certain sweet melancholy. Once Upon A Dream - remember? Back when there was one? It's still here - listen.

12 comments:

  1. I like what you're smokin'/drinkin'/sayin'.
    I bought this shortly after it hit the stores back in 1865 and my teen years/ears
    knew then that it was not The (Young) Rascals of Top 40 Hits but something different and something special. I still have the record somewhere in some box. It, like my turntable, collects dust. I can't remember the last time I heard this record but I'm sure it was a digital listen. And so shall it be again. Bring on the digits, bring on The Dream. Still takking you mucho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The key to opening this album may be in letting My Hawaii wash over you - accepting it for what it is, not being critically superior to it. Everything else falls into place after that. It's usually the dealbreaker for this album, and the track most likely to be judged the worst. But once you've let your pretences and fences down, it lifts you up on a clear blue wave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yawning Angel sez...

    Nicely said, Farq, and I totally agree. That said, I've been a fan of messieurs Cavaliere, Brigati, Danelli and Cornish for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my theory/response to your question (So why is it under-celebrated, under-rated...)

    It's very easy to find and cheap. Some collectors need to pay disconcerting amounts of money to cherish an album. I agree with you, this is GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good point, Mr. Smiles. It's a long time since I went album hunting, but it was always in the crates back then, and always cheap, as you say. Collectors' logic maintains that musical worth is in inverse proportion to availability.

      Delete
    2. Couldn't agree more Farq! I've seen very poor albums exchange hands for hundreds. I love your blog, you don't seems to care about trends and I've discovered great stuff through you. Keep goin and big hug from Argentina.

      Delete
  5. Nice one, Farq. Love the Rascals, but unfamiliar with this one. Your write-up has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in college, when I bought this in 1968 (get off my lawn). Once Upon A Dream is one of the great 60's records.

    ReplyDelete