Wednesday, October 16, 2024

"They Wash Their Hair Every Night!" Dept. - The Pretty Things

Pretty Things relaxing in th' IoF© Conversation Pit O' Sound®, yesterday

What is the length of shrift given to the Pretty Things [not above - Ed.]? Generally shorter than Phil May's hair back in '63. They are a Top Tier U.K. band; innovative, wild, talented, with a charismatic front man and a berserker drummer. All they lacked was a knack for writing a string of hit singles, which put them behind their contemporaries the Stones, the Who, the *sigh* Beatles, and the Kinks. There are a few greatest hits collections out there, but you'll have a tough time whistling any one of them. Don't tell that to Mike Stax - he not only named his swell magazine after the band [Ugly Things - Ed.] but also stole the name of their bass player [not "Mike", the other one - Ed.].

I can live without the early raw R&B, while noting that it is R&B, and the transitional Get The Picture (Mike's favorite album of all time, bless), but S.F. Sorrow and Parachute have always been on my consolette autochange.

S.F. Sorrow, from '68, is a concept album - meaning, there's a story that nobody understands or cares about, much like Opera, or a Netflix series. But musically it hangs together nicely. It's very, very '68. And that's a good thing. A little heavier than '67, not as heavy as '69, the Goldilocks year for rock music. This version has slewage of extra tracks, and they're terrific, expanding the original album nicely.

Parachute was never Rolling Stone Magazine's Album Of The Year [1970 - Ed.], in spite of the rock myth to the contrary. But it should have been. After a startling, discordant opening, the album works through some of their most memorable songs, with inventive arrangements and beautiful harmonies - they never got the credit for their stacked vocals. Their best album, as good as rock music gets. That cover, though ... ooff ...





This post funded in part by The Sitarswami Vinyl Upholstery Repair And Chakra Refurbishment Garage, Koreatown, L.A.

 

29 comments:

  1. BLING. Fess up - what do you wear in the adornment line? Perhaps a gangsta-style medallion, or a mood ring? How do you pretty up yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paradiso (1969) is also good and Deflecting Grey (EP). Personally I also liked Silk Torpedo (1974). Check out Electric Banana Blows Your Mind (1967).

    I don't "Pretty Up" myself. Don't wear no jewelry. Don't wear no scarfs. I'm lucky to shave before a dentil appointment. Thanks for these offerings Farq. Love the Pretty Things. Uglier than the Stones. Keep your children away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Deflecting Grey EP is included in the bonus tracks. The Electric Banana album is somewhere here on th' IoF©, but I can't find it! D'oh.

      (YOur card up next, steVe)

      Delete
  3. Had a Peace Sign medallion but gave it to the grandkids. I don't need to keep that shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are they, 4 years apart. I keep wearing the same shirt to get my drivers license picture, ever since I realized I still had that shirt .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not many people know about the impact the Pretty Things had on New Zealand

    https://www.audioculture.co.nz/articles/these-believe-it-or-not-are-men-the-pretty-things-in-new-zealand-1965

    This was my home town's Pretty Things ...

    https://vimeo.com/191531445

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I already have these it's good to see them get a wider audience - as for adornment I'm over 60 but still have a full head of hair so it's a bit bouffant! By the way I'm sure I read that SF Sorrow wasn't released in the US 'til 69 and was criticized for copying Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny you should mention mood rings . . . wore a nose mood ring for a while. Otherwise I just keep it simple for my everyday look. https://www.atelierbassi.com/shop/tiga-d-latex-rubber-man-wig-5860#attr=49464 --Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Buddha amulet from Cambodia plus a (plain) aluminium ring made from UXO bought in Laos!!
    Keep my hair in a number 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's some unadvertised bonus bonusses here; the Electric Banana, the definitive collection of Early Years rawnch, and an expanded Get The Picture. Grab it with tongs!
    https://workupload.com/file/RdckkcnHDnp

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm wearing a hat and scarf at most times, but the rest of my outfit is usually pretty messed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are limits, Farq, even for me!

      Delete
    2. How about a plastic bag on your head when it rains?

      Delete
    3. How about rolling your t-shirt up over your belly when it gets a bit hot?

      Delete
    4. The belly is still acceptable, surprise surprise, therefore no need for any rolling up activities ;-)

      Delete
  11. No adornment here, the occasional 'loud' shirt if appropriate. Oh, yellow laces in my DM's, probably doesn't count?

    ReplyDelete
  12. 24-hole ox-blood Doctor Martens, backless leather chaps, and a combover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems unfair if I don't list my bling: Ayutthaya temple ring (pretty cosmic), plain silver wedding band, Seiko 5 automatic (black), temple bracelet (black, from a selection) on right wrist. Sometimes I wear a ganesh rudraksha on a woven necklace. No tatts or piercing. Clothing all used from local market, hardly counts as bling!

    ReplyDelete
  14. On special occasions I sometimes don underwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. notBob, th' IoF©'s Senior Fashion Correspondent, acts as an aspirational role model for us all.

      Delete
  15. Phantom Of The Rock OperaOctober 17, 2024 at 6:02 AM

    As my Mod days are long gone (oh how I wish I could still fit into my made to measure suit) and have now evolved a garb that's part farmer Giles/ part beach bum (surf shoes are very adaptable footwear for the arthritic and shorts should be worn whenever possible), I'll stick to the bling.

    So I wear a St Christopher ring on my right hand given to me as a child by my grandparents, a gold wedding band (made from another signet ring I was given as a child and my parents wedding rings) and a gold victorian garnet signet ring on my left hand bought for me as an engagement ring from my wife. Around my neck I have a gold chain with a Wyland whales tail, a gold "the one ring" (I'm a sucker for Tolkien) and once upon a time as its now buried somewhere in the garden (along with the original garnet from my signet ring), a pewter Incan charm representing the Incan equivalent of my birthsign. No tats or piercings and since I retired no watch (the days pass fast enough as it is without checking how quickly they are going).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may get something out of this (although I doubt it):
      https://rebuddharedux.blogspot.com/

      Delete