Sunday, October 11, 2020

Great Classics Of Literature Out Th' Ass Dept. - Gandalf's Garden

Four Or Five Guy© Geriatrix did the world a favor when he posted the obscure U.K. underground hippie 'zine Gandalf's Garden. But it may have passed you by, because the link was buried in the comments (even I can't find it now).

It was the anti-Oz. Peaceful vibes, and the beautiful art of John Hurford (an Aubrey Beardsley for the 'sixties). Articles on meditation, organic food, Mu, all the stuff that got ironed out and sanded down into New Age consumerism. Don't confuse it with that - Muz Murray had a clear head and a vision: change the world from your back yard. It's never too late to start.

You can dismiss this, and the spirit that inspired it, as faintly risible hippie bullshit, or you can, if you're lucky, recognise the timelessness of the message. Having said that, remain wary of guys who get themselves gussied up as gurus.

Download contains the six magazines, the entire run. Om shanti, youse bums.

13 comments:

  1. To qualify for this harvest of hippie goodness, tell us what makes you smile. Really. What cheers you up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. music, cheech and chong movies, firesign theater records, walking my doggies, robert anton wilson books, underground comics, patrick mcmanus books, letterkenny, disenchanted, futurama, rick & morty, monty python, girls in their summer clothes, rye whiskey, bourbon, hot fudge sundaes, greezy cheeseburgers,welcome to night vale, more music, that's what comes to mind, simple guy really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. buster keaton, marx bros, underground and XXX comics firesign theatre, nina hagen, the goodies, a lot of mine are the same as Rick's !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doggies. Love Doggies.
    (Formerly known as Bob in Vancouver.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence! I once had a dog I named 'Bob in Vancouver'.
      But yes, doggies make me smile, as does music in general, cooking, wine, playing my gitfiddle, my family (usually).

      Delete
  5. Old zines certainly, music in general, good food, glass of wine, our cats - your blog - all the great music blogs out there. Comfort food for the ears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here ya go, pals. Posting again soon.


    https://workupload.com/file/ZdTaDMShQ56

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanx! Love these counterculture rarities I never got to see these when they were out in print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS PLACE makes me smile.

    And occasionally guffaw, chortle, chuckle, and do spit takes. Often all or some of that is out loud & out proud. Just like a little giggly girl in her summer.... oh ferggeddit...(!)

    "T.M.I."

    (It IS hotter'n Hades here... I blame the weather for my unusual forthrightness...)

    (I am usually straight... Oh gads, not again... I mean I usually CUT to the CHASE...)(Yeah, write...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The World has yet too realize your ingeniousness.May peace be everlasting unto you, Farquhar. I like turtles.

    ReplyDelete