Thursday, October 15, 2020

From Good Times To Hard Times To The Worst Times Of All - The Craig Smith Story

You need wiki for this. Really. It's a heartbreaking story and I would bust into sobs if I recounted it in detail here. Mike Stax (Ugly Things supremo) had his part to play - wotta guy - and wrote a book about it. Broad strokes, then - take a deep breath; Craig was a bright and likeable kid groomed for stardom. That's him in the Good Time Singers - I'm guessing front n' center on the cover. They win a regular spot on The Andy Williams Show, cut an album, and break up when they're not invited back for the new season. Uh oh.

Craig starts his own band The Penny Arkade, writes some pop hits (the Monkees' Salesman is his), and gets an album produced by Nesmith which gets shelved. Uh oh. And then things start to go badly wrong. He gets involved with the Manson Family, goes on an L.S.D. diet to lose weight, friends, and his mind, makes the trip to the Mystic East, gets beat up/raped in Kandahar, thrown into an Afghan insane asylum ... oh jeez.

Back in the U.S.A., he's damaged goods. He cuts a couple of wigged-out solo albums as Maitreya Kali, attacks his Mom, gets institutionalized, and dies homeless and broke and insane. His family don't collect his ashes. Mike Stax does. The Penny Arkade album (eventually rescued by Sundazed with their usual respect and attention to detail) is psych-pop just short of greatness, even if it's obvious that Nesmith had yet to learn his way around the studio. These guys deserved better luck - but not even a lottery win could have saved Craig Smith from his life, and his lonely, fucked-up death.

Note: the album sleeves aren't shown in chronological order because new blogger layout interface.





15 comments:

  1. Download contains the Maitreya Kali albums (thanks, tremolo!) and The Penny Arkade. I couldn't find the Good Time Singers album - probably a good thing - and haven't looked too hard for the tracks he cut with his partner as a duo. If you have 'em, up 'em!

    https://workupload.com/file/LSD5nM3pGR3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would this be the Chris & Craig who recorded the track "Isha?" If so IIRC that single was included on one of the 150 or so Dan's Garage 45 comps on the blog of that name. He's pretty good about maintaining the links. Thanks for the post!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! They might be on YouTube, and they're on Fading Yellow 2, too.

      Delete
  2. Well, have a chuckle and a great weekend, Farq!
    Damn, that's sadness personified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow puts my trick knee into perspective ...

      Delete
    2. Hopefully, my trick knee is done and the treats will ensue.

      Delete
  3. I have that Good Times Singers record, and yeah, it's good in a "Mighty Wind" kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might! If you want to share it, here's probably as good a place as any, and I at least would like to hear it!

      Delete
    2. Here's the second Good Time Singers record. Didn't even bother to break up the tracks, so sorry.

      https://www107.zippyshare.com/v/lbnutdLM/file.html

      Delete
  4. I used to listen to the APACHE album a lot.
    The thing I sensed more than anything was a fragmentation and loneliness only found on the two Barrett solo albums. I have always been afraid of INCA...never have I felt like I wanted something even more lonely than Barrett so I have never had the courage to play INCA!
    Thanq you, farq!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you, Kwai! I'm not a "damaged artiste" ghoul. I can't listen to the Apache/Inca albums more than I have to. But I wanted to post the Penny Arkade, and it would be hypocritical not to follow the story through. Taking acid was one of the best things I ever did, changed my life for the better for the rest of my life, but I stopped taking it when the setting changed. Taken it a couple of time since (Angkor Wat), but it's done its work for me.

      Delete
  5. Stax is the dealio. I guess he still lives write here In Town. I suspect he had a hand in putting out (finally) the documentary on the PRETTY THINGS (geddit? his mag is the "opposite") he had a hand in a few years ago. It came out as part of a recent (Euro.?) PTs Cee Dee boxed set. I can't remember now WHERE, but I thought I saw it for "sampling" out there somewheres in the BLAH-go-spear....

    The group famously nixed it (DVD release) when it was all set to come out on DVD (as part of the David Peck / "Reelin' in the Years" series on Brit bands...) So, it "got out" as a theatrical event, shown like once a year, mostly in So Cal, til now...

    Sorry for the digression... Er, flippin Stax saga...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a few pieces for Ugly Things, and I'm still in touch with Mike. He's an unsung hero, and his band The Loons are a bunch of fun, too.

      Delete
  6. Talk about being born under a bad sign! Thanks for tunes. I like wigged out acid damaged music (a la Roky & Syd) so I'll probably enjoy the Inca & Apache albums but that's a sad tale indeed.

    ReplyDelete