Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Old Post, New Link Dept. - The Floyd

I always felt OBC was a near miss. They didn't pay enough attention to the sequencing, there was padding, a lack of flow, etcetera. Long I laboured, and hard, to bring you this, which is a Proper Floyd Album, and directly prefigures Dark Side. I like it better, but I would, wouldn't I?

Caveat Griftor: This is a seamless forty minute mix. You may not have forty minutes.

In a private email, Roger Waters writes thusly:
 

Dear Mr Throckmorton (may one call you Farquhar?)
I was delighted to hear from you that up to five people have downloaded my original version of Meddle [Echoes - see below - Ed.] It took me on quite a trip (no pun intended!) down memory Lane! The "Floyd" [Pink Floyd - Ed.] had just wrapped up recording the soundtrack for some French, or possibly German, film [La Vallée - Ed.][The Valley - Ed.] and had left the project with our esteemed record label while we took off on one of our legendary world tours. Unfortunately we didn't oversee the release, and the track order was apparently decided by some Johnnie in the office. Glum faces all round on our return, I'm afraid! To make matters worse, said office Johnnie had tacked on a few minutes of jungle mumbo-jumbo to make up the rather short running time.

As a private project, over the next few months I laboured to make this sow's ear into the silk purse we all wanted, re-sequencing the songs, splicing and editing, generally sprinkling some studio fairy dust on the whole thing. But recording  Dark Side [Of The Moon - Ed.] of course required all hands on deck, and Bridges [Burning Bridges - Ed.] rather got forgotten in all the excitement. Which is a shame - it is, although one says it oneself, one of our better efforts. Certainly better than any of the miserable stuff we recorded after Dark Side [Of The Moon - Ed.] Cut a long story short, then - get on with it, Waters, I hear you cry! - I was wondering if you'd "play host" to my lost masterpiece on your internet blog? If it meets with as much success as Echoes all my work will have been worth it!



Yours sincerely, Roger [Waters - Ed.]


My pleasure, Mr Waters!

13 comments:

  1. Re-titled, re-covered, and a few minutes of Floydiness added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. khòop khun-ขอบคุณ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mungu abariki baraka za mahindi yako............ʻAʻohe ʻoe e koi ʻia e huki i ka wī

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google translates thusly:

      The sound of barbarism is not good
      You will be required to draw the famine

      Delete
  4. New link: https://workupload.com/file/xp6PRp8K3hh

    ReplyDelete
  5. 40 minutes?!? Ain't nobody got time for that!




    Well, actually, I do......
    Thanks, Farq!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Among the many things I assure my students are that the Rosetta Stone say s"never fight a winter war in Russia" and they Pink Floyd named themselves after Floydada, Texas. With many of them being Texans with their born and breed sense of Texas' superiority, this seems to make perfect sense; nearly 30 years and nary a one has asked why or where the "pink" came from. It's kinda impressive...plus it's the Pumpkin Capital of Texas...as long as I'm free associating here, pmac may have espied one of my all time favorite highway exits in la louisiane for Baptist Pumpkin Center over in Tangipahoa Parish...for any concerned, it is, alas, two different places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and thanks for the the only smiles I had this year.

    ReplyDelete