Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Vangelis Papapapathanathanassiou - King Of Free Jazz!




Vangelis Papapapathanathanassiou? Hairy-chested and slightly scary Greek composer of stirring synth anthems, he who once punched out an entire press conference because they thought he was Demis Roussos? Free jazz?


Hear me out. We're here to talk about Beaubourg, one of the least understood and most misunderstood albums of the twentieth century. But first we need to define terms: free jazz is associated with a saxophone being ritually abused over a cacophony of random percussion. But in its purest sense - improvisation free of musical structure, it absolutely applies to Beaubourg.

It's solo Vangelis, making shit up as he goes along, using a couple of Yamaha CS-80 analog synthesizers, with a side order of ring modulator, instead of making a sax sound like it wished it had never been born. In accordance with the strict rules of free jazz (no musical form has more rigid rules), he eschews melody, harmony, rhythm, and thematic development. Anybody can do that. If I could find a piano I'd eschew the fuck out of it right now. A child of five could.

But Vangelis is an absolute master of his instruments, and his hands are guided by instinct, inspiration, and superhuman skill, whereas mine could just as easily be fixing a sandwich. And lordy, his hands are busy. Coaxing these sounds out of a pair of CS-80s, in real time, is a virtuoso performance. So what? you opine, a sneer distorting your unlovely face, it sounds like shit to me hahalol.

This is what makes the music so ultimately satisfying; discovering what went into it. It's not unapproachable noise, a random result of pure chance. There is variation in mood, hints of melody, but it's the abstract sound that becomes so compelling, even addictive. It's analog/organic, and if you read my antecedent screed on Bernie Axolotl you may remember his quote: all notes played by hand. There's no looping here, no samples, no sequencing, and minimal overdubbing, maybe none (what do I know). There's a wild genius behind this, and to dismiss it, as some do, as a cynical contractual kiss-off to RCA is to display a musical ignorance of which they should be ashamed, them ignoramuses.

It is gawjuss, is what it is. A blissful soundtrack to ordinary life. Try listening to it - as loud as you can take - as you go about your grubby quotidian routine. Shopping for beans at your local discount superstore. Boosting the catalytic converter from your ex's Ram Truck, or getting your bunion pared. Beaubourg will make your universe seem unutterably strange. Let it work its subtle and extraordinary magic.

As an inducement, here's some slightly more accessible, but much less accomplished, Vangelis:


Swinging London scenemaker Giorgio Gomelski booked studio time in '71 to see if there was any mileage in teaming Van the Man with session jazzbos and fringe rock musicians. It led nowhere, and the tapes were shelved, to be released later very much against Van's wishes by a thieving bunch of crooks. Don't think of these as albums, which they ain't. Think of them as an opportunity to hear a bit of experimental improv for its own sake.


The Dragon gets the nod from fans, with its recognisably rock-adjacent sounds, but Hypothesis appeals for its Brian Odgers/Tony Oxley rhythm section, fresh from the mighty John McLaughlin's Extrapolation sessions.

 

 

 

 

 

Hilariously, there is online debate as to the most consistently accurate, pitch-wise, release of Beaubourg. Go for it!



24 comments:

  1. To qualify for th' freeload, tell us your favorite color! As long as it's blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue (is the color of my true love's hair). Nikos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm blue because no Aphrodite's Child..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can’t make up my mind, so…

    Heavy hung the canopy of blue
    Shade my eyes and I can see you
    White is the light that shines through the dress that you wore

    She lay in the shadow of the wave
    Hazy were the visions of her playing
    Sunlight on her eyes, but
    Moonshine beat her blind every time

    Green is the colour of her kind
    Quickness of the eye deceives the mind
    Envy is the bond between the hopeful and the damned, damned


    How did you know about my grubby quotidian routine?
    I had Beaubourg and The Dragon on C90, taped from my local record library, I might enjoy revisiting them, if I qualify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home taping from the record library, eh? So it was you that killed music!

      Delete
    2. It was the 80's, I was young and didn't think of the consequences of my actions.

      Delete
    3. My local record library used to lend you a heavyweight card box to carry the albums in, about an inch deep with string handles. I stole one, and meticulously added STOLEN FROM above the name of the library. Yes, I thought it was funny, at the time, like I thought this blog was funny.

      Delete
    4. My little provincial record library had a 'map' of all the marks/scratches on both sides of the stocked LPs, which was referred to upon an item's return.

      Delete
    5. They used to mark scratches with a Magic Wax Pen at mine, which seemed counterproductive.

      Delete
  5. Linkage du jour of th' day:

    https://workupload.com/file/Xm4LsTDPv7T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phantom Of The Rock OperaSeptember 5, 2024 at 4:21 AM

    I've always had time for Cerulean. Its always sounded a little anarchic to me and to have a periwinkle floor is all the rage in Ashby De La Zouche

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your choice marks you out as a man of distinction and sophistication; here is the "rare" Vangelis soundtrack to Sex Power, a movie I'm sure you must have in your "gentleman's library of erotica".

      https://workupload.com/file/4t7vLQFkFts

      Delete
    2. Phantom Of The Rock OperaSeptember 6, 2024 at 5:09 AM

      Funnily enough I don't recall ever seeing it before so indeed the soundtrack is a worthy bonus for highlighting such a intriguing nugget in the first place. Needless to say this gaping chasm in my movie library is being filled as we speak. And to think it's a chance once again to celebrate the charms of Mademoiselle Birkin. Ooh La la

      Delete
    3. https://falsememoryfoam.blogspot.com/2019/09/for-men-only.html

      Delete
  7. Blue? SO is this the most consistently accurate, pitch-wise, release of Beaubourg or ain't it?!?!?!?! Because if it ain't ... I might not take the freeload until tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Download with confidence. All mp3 files on th' IoF© have been vetted by a veteran veterinarian.

      Delete
  8. Blue Note Blue! Thanks for Vangelis Farq!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love a lot of Vangelis, including The Dragon (possibly my favorite of his actually) and Hypothesis. But Beaubourg man... you made the listening experience sound so appealing, I gave it another go this morning. But no, same as the last time I tried, the first time I tried...
    My favorite color is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySim3VQxJ-U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dull has gone out of style!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jCJURLuzdw

      Delete
  10. I love the blue of wide open skies and the blue-green of the cover of Tangerine Dream's 'Rubycon', which I often think of when I play the CD I have of this murky nebulous out-of-character beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and i love how you played with those of us who enjoy links to Basildon by calling the file Vange.

      Delete