Friday, September 27, 2024

August Darnell - The Suit Is Zoot And The Pants Ain't Nuthin' But Pleat

August struts his stuff at th' IoF© Tiki Disco, last nite!

The Great Pleat Wars
were dark times on th' Iof©. There was hatred. Contumely and rancor. Guys what was once pals turned on each other like feral dogs. It all started *FX HARP GLISSANDO* back when I defended Mike - he's always Mike to me - Nesmith's sartorial stragedy for the covers of Perfect Ten Infinite Rider On The Big Dogma, and The Newer Stuff. He sported a gentlemanly trouser, correctly pleated and supported by an elegant narrow belt, teamed with a wifebeater vest. Okay, I lied about the vest. But that would have elicited more muted passions from th' 4/5g© than the casual slax. The pleat, it seemed, was a crime only slightly less grievous than torching orphanages.

So - welcome, please, the Panjandrum Of Pleat, August Darnell! I can do two things at this point; rewrite extracts from his wiki page to make it seem I'm a fount of knowledge, or post a link to that page. Both seem too labor-intensive, so I'm opting for the third thing - leave the research to you lazy-ass bums. It's worth a couple of minutes of your precious time. Go ahead and soak your feet instead, if that's what you want to do, ya slob.

Under-vaunted quasi-genius? Probably. He threw everything into a Hell's Kitchen cauldron and whipped up a funky spicy stew with global appeal - the guy had hits. Plus! There was a Homeric concept behind the albums that makes Wagner look like the clueless hack he was; the epic search for lost Mimi ("me me") and the adventures he encountered traveling through a mythic land (New York). So - mind-boggling literacy, tunes out th' ass, and an utterly contemporary sound that owed as much to Cab Calloway as ska, disco, reggae, and funk.

For the sake of transparency, I should point out that slax (and polo shirts, and deck shoes, and white sox) have always repelled me; I have never knowingly rocked a pleated pant. But I defend the right of those whose sartorial preferences lean that way. We are a broad church, it is not for us to judge, and I urge restraint from commenters lest needless offence be caused. Thank you.



TH' SID SLAW SURVEY™

PLEASE TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO COMPLETE THIS SURVEY! YOUR CALL IS IMPORTANT TO US!

- Did you read the entire piece? #Y for yes, #N for no.

- Are you reading this right now? #Y yes, #N no.

- Would you like to see more content about tailoring details? #Y yes, #N no.

Score ten points for each YES answer, and minus 1,239.37 for each NO. If you scored TEN or more, let us know in the comments! You may be entitled to a grand *THREE ALBUM* freeload!! OBOY!!

 

 

20 comments:

  1. If you read anything at all today, let it be this comment. Respond to its well-intentioned request to take Th' Sid Slaw Survey [above - Ed.] and post your score below for an immersive internet experience that will truly make you feel part of a warm, loving and respectful community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I watched the movie/musical, Zoot Suit https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083365/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_zoot%2520suit and also have a cassette on Zoot Suit Riot by the Cherry Poppin' Daddies. So I may be some what of an expert on Zoot Suits. I also own the DVD of the extended version of "1941" or was it 1942? Maybe I'm not an expert. But I like Cab Calloway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Kid Creole, though I'd like him better in jeans. That being said, the last I heard of Darnell he was in prison on what sounded like a bum rap. That was several years ago so I don't know the outcome. As Farq points out, I'm a lazy bum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to put this one to bed:
      "Hip-hop pioneer Kidd Creole has been found guilty of first-degree manslaughter for stabbing a homeless man in 2017.
      The musician, real name Nathaniel Glover, 62, was an original member of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five alongside his brother Melle Mel, AKA Melvin Glover. (He is not associated with Kid Creole and the Coconuts, the band led by August Darnell.)"

      Delete
    2. So THAT's how rumors get started.

      Delete
  4. Yay!! I scored a perfect "10" ! ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link shall be thine, good Sir Knight! A just reward for such valor, such chivalry!
      Wait while I feed the dogs.

      Delete
    2. Oh, hang on - you got ten? Out of a possible thirty? Hmm.

      Delete
  5. I was doing so well, two tens, then a minus 1,239.37.
    There are no pleats in my house. However I'm wearing a pair of brushed denim grey jeans today, which were last in fashion probably twenty or thirty years ago, so really I'm way ahead of the fashion curve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your score is -1,219.37 - you're in second place! Or first!

      Delete
  6. I scored only 1 Yes, but at least appreciate Kid Creole & The Coconuts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I scored a 30. We need more sartorial splendor advanced in this establishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bremble's courageous honesty and subtle appreciation of the Tailor's Art win him the link du jour o' th' day! But there's more! This victory decisively wins Pleat Wars II for the Pleats! And ON THAT BOMBSHELL - link imminent.

      Delete
    2. Curses! Foiled again! You haven't heard the last of this!

      Delete
  8. Fabulous artiste. Not like the scruffy urchins and vulgar sportswear wearers these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if th' Iof© had an icon, he'd be it. I've commissioned a statue hewn from the finest imported chicken fat to be erected above the entrance to th' Foam-O-Drome® Center For Th' Performing Arts n' Shit.

      Delete
  9. Because Bremble completed the survey to the complete satisfaction of the judging panel, this link is FOR HIS USE ONLY for the next fourteen days or one fortnight whichever comes first. Any youse cheap chiselers tapping the link before that time will be stricken with Th' CURSE O' FOAM™ *FX wobbly Farfisa doom chord* manifest as a tardigrade infestation of the perineum.

    https://workupload.com/file/2BqN9LvUZ4T

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why can't you be like Endicott? Inquiring minds want to know.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete