Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Perfect Tens Dept. - The Wild,The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle


Medical opinion differs as to the exact time of death of the 'sixties - as an idea, rather than the calendar narrative - with some observing the onset of rigor mortis as far back as '68, or even with The Death Of Hippie in '67 . What we can say with some certainty is that by late '73 the funeral parade had long passed. The British pop scene, as it was still called, was dominated by panto-pop and glam, end-of-the-pier entertainment for the end of an era that mistakenly thought of itself as the beginning of another. Serious Rock had knotted itself into the cat's cradle of prog to satisfy the demands of the Serious Rock Fan, recognised by his lank greasy hair, plutonium-strength acne, and the odor of damp Army Surplus greatcoats.

But hey. This was '73. As a Brit, I wasn't alone in listening to US music almost exclusively. We read Zig Zag and Rolling Stone (a fantastic and essential paper back then), we bought expensive imports with the beer tokens the government kindly gave us, and we wore jeans modeled on the gatefold to After The Goldrush, with patches from mum's rag box and a leather stash wallet hanging hopefully from the belt. But it was an odd year for UK music. Pink Floyd became Grey Floyd, making music for stereo showrooms. Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac lost the plot. The Stones took a step back, not in a good way, the Kinks floundered into camp irrelevancy and everyone woke up after their long Beatles denial. They weren't coming back. Although folk and jazz/rock remained lively, they also remained niche, which was probably essential to their survival.

Proper Rock (and by that I mean proper rock music) continued to flourish and evolve in the US, entirely home-grown, drawing directly and unselfconsciously on a rich heritage that owed nothing to the UK invasion that had liberated it from the Elvis era. The Allmans, CSN(&Y), Lynyrd Skynyrd, Little Feat, New Riders, Zappa, the Dead, The Eagles, Steely Dan, BOC, Joni, Neil, Van Morrison (seen very much as a stateside act), plus too many solo artists to list, with the big MIA of Dylan. And, sneaking a first album into the racks unnoticed at the beginning of the year, somebody called Bruce Springsteen.

I first became aware of him from Pete Scrowther talking him up at the Golden Cross, one of the two places in town you were likely to score, or hear of the night's house party (the other being the Dive Bar, notable for a panoramic Lord Of The Rings mural, sticky floor, and cheap Newky Brown). But the Cross was where what was left of it was at, man. In the late 'sixties, the Diggers had made their Head quarters in the medieval ruins across the street, the "Digger Hole", and in '73 some patchouli still lingered. More importantly, it was where the hot girls lingered, in their charity shop fur coats, black miniskirts and coloured tights, with their long dark hair and red lips and cigarettes. Notably Jane Bayley, whose beauty poleaxed me, and whose eyes I can still see somewhere behind mine. I married one of the other girls eventually, one I wasn't too dumbstruck to talk to. Many, many years later (a lifetime or two) I contacted Jane, and she asked me why I never asked her out. I'm not sure she believed me. Beauty is blind to a mirror.

But yeah. Pete was raving about this album he'd just bought that we'd never heard of. "If anyone's the New Dylan, it's this guy", and as Pete was considered a very cool guy in those days, we - including a couple of others from Shitband, the band I played bass for (that wasn't our name but it should have been) trekked back through the freezing wet streets to his place after closing time to hear the New Dylan. Evidently, no parties that night. That was how you picked up on stuff, not through a pod-brain you gazed at and stroked instead of girls, but through conversation, references in the music papers, random rack flipping and a chance hearing on John Peel. It was enough to grow a network of human connections, a living, organic communal knowledge which was added to almost daily. I'm not saying it was a better way, but that's what I'm thinking. And typing.

Pete's audio set-up was impressive. A standalone turntable (still not a common thing back then) hot-wired through a Mystery Fuse to a guitar amp and a speaker cab the size of a domestic drinks bar, which it also doubled as. We took up positions as laid down in the manual - laid down - and passed the sleeve around, with a couple of poverty roaches, as the tone arm dropped onto one of the few albums I can say changed my life.

None of us spoke, not even when the album was flipped.


There was nothing quite like The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Maybe echoes of Van Morrison's Caledonian swing, something of West Side Story in its sweeping romanticism, of Dylan in its tumbling, clattering Beat poetry. Yes, but no. Springsteen, the guy from nowhere, had made his own album with the help of the best band in the world also out of nowhere and it was hands down no question the album of the year. Oooff. Who were these guys? Where the fuck was E Street?

Pete didn't have the first album, but assured us that this was the one to break Springsteen worldwide. How could it not? We agreed. It had to. It didn't, of course. Being a Springsteen fan back then was groovy. You could turn people on to him the same way Pete had for us. I can't remember any reviews except for Rolling Stone and  Zig Zag. There wasn't, incredibly, a buzz in the press about him - we had to order the album, and spread the word ourselves.

I made a list of Top Ten reasons why it's a Perfect Ten album, in no particular order, and I just deleted it, because it didn't come close to explaining or evoking or even hinting at what makes this album such a freaking masterpiece. And that is the indefinable magic captured in the groove, and at the heart of it is Springsteen's heart, bursting open with the joy of being in a rock n' roll band, and Vinnie "Mad Dog" Lopez batting the traps, the best drummer he ever had. You only have to listen to the title track and then Tenth Avenue Freeze Out to understand what the Boss lost. E Street is effortlessly, joyously funky and loose; Tenth Avenue a generic clomp nailed to the floor by Max Weinberg's dogged thump. Oh well. That was a couple of years away. Back in the tail end of 'seventy-three, we heard rock and roll future in Pete's front room, and the long walk home through the cold streets glowed with it.

That indefinable magic is still there, locked in the groove. Foreverandmoreagain, the spirit, the spirit, the spirit of rock n' roll, the light that never dies. Give me the beat, boys, free my soul ... I see the fireworks hailing over Little Eden, and I see Jane Bayley's eyes ...



This post dedicated to Ned Youngman, Shitband's guitarist, who was to gift me a ticket to Bruce at Hammersmith Odeon, as a wedding present.


33 comments:

  1. A perfect ten? Bright eyes, "I'm wide awake, its morning"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's th' Boss n' th' Band live from My Father's Place, summer of '73:

    https://workupload.com/file/CG8BEqWgQeP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elis and Tom. Always play it all the way through.
    First time I saw Springsteen was when he played in NO a few months before Born to Run was released. Friend from NJ insisted I go. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love me some Mexican music. Manuel And His Music Of The Mountains, Y Viva Espagna ...

      Delete
  4. Perfect 10?: Hejira always comes to mind. Not disputing E Street Shuffle. Just saw Bruce & Co. Friday night in Baltimore, inexcusably for the 1st time. After 3 hours he was saying we looked tired. "You think you can hang w/ the E Street Band?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for the Bruce show.
    My perfect ten album: the first It's a Beautiful Day album with Genesis' Selling England by the Pound a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I can see this, but there are a few Ramones albums that fulfill their limited remit of being a Ramones album to perfection.

      Delete
  7. Given that a Perfect Ten means an album which can't be improved in any way, by altering or adding or subtracting anything at all - I'll also vote for Culture's "Two Sevens Clash", another album with IMQ (Indefinable Magic Quality), which the first IABD album has, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phantom Of the Rock OperaSeptember 18, 2024 at 9:52 AM

    Hmmm Perfect Ten Album? Do you have to have just one because I can think of half a dozen or so that I'd give Perfect 10s to not least because Farq's story has reminded me of the development of my own musical appreciation in 1970's Britain and since.

    So for me I'd name seven

    David Bowie - The Rise and Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders from Mars (1972)
    The Who - Quadrophenia (1973)
    The Jam - All Mod Cons (1978)
    The Jam - Setting Sons (1979)
    Paul Weller - Paul Weller (1991)
    Paul Weller - Wild Wood (1993)
    The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle (1967 but I didn't hear it for the first time until 25 years ago)

    Those 7 albums represent the albums (comps aside) which I've played the most in my life. Unlike Farq, in the seventies I didn't turn to America not least because I felt and feel part of the reason for the void in British music was that many of its major stars had gone international and many were dominating and therefore aiming their music at the commercial American market (the former Beatles, Stones, Rod Stewart, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Elton John etc). Equally I felt American rock music (excluding the likes of the Stooges and the New York Dolls) was too safe for much the same reason. It lacked the edginess of many British rock bands and I like that edginess so without any contemporary bands to listen to in the mid 70's (Ziggy represents the end of that first era to me) I looked back at the rock n' roll and sixties era that I had largely missed as it started to gain cult status in the UK (something to me Townshend's writing of Quadrophenia in some ways reflected alongside films like That'll Be The Day and Stardust) and I began collecting any fifties and sixties records I could find. That is until that infamous Bill Grundy Show (Both the Pistols and Clash debut albums come close to perfect tens as well).

    However, being the son of a clothing sales rep, safety pins and spiked hair were never going to sit easily whereas made to measure suits and the Jam did very nicely. Without question Setting Sons along with All Mod Cons are the two albums Ive played most in my life and Setting Sons in particular to me reflected the 70's Britain I grew up in.

    When the Jam broke up, for numerous reasons (work, marriage,kids, my 'grief' at their parting etc) in musical terms I went "underground" and the 1980's was pretty much a lost decade in terms of musical discovery until Weller went solo and his first two solo albums were in a number of ways my musical reawakening. As for "Odessey" it symbolises my return to serious music collecting again as it was one of the first pieces of vinyl I bought when I once again started collecting (one of the finest albums out there IMO) and the album that made me look more seriously at aspects of the 60's music scene that I hadn't really taken that much interest in before (Pop Psych /Sunshine Pop etc)..

    PS All that said I did buy Born To Run when it first came out. Don't get me wrong there are many great American rock albums and in retrospect I have a much greater appreciation of them but even now to me so much of it still lacks that edge.

    PPS If it has to be one then its 'Setting Sons'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kinda like how Casablanca is the perfect movie, not the greatest movie ever but perfect in its movie-ness. Also The Third Man. So, albums that are perfect . . .

    Richard and Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights
    Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Get Happy (also King of America)
    Those 2 come immediately to mind. --Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
  10. A poetic slab of screed there Farq, thanks. I think I’ve mentioned before that I don’t get Springsteen but will give this a listen, maybe this will be the one to convince me, and I do like live albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All writing is poetry, Bambi, just more or less poetic.
      This recording won't make you get Springsteen if nothing else has!

      Delete
  11. Two very different perfect tens for me:

    Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
    Marshall Crenshaw - Marshall Crenshaw

    I first discovered Bruce in 1972 when WNEW-FM (New York) was calling him the next Dylan and playing Blinded By The Light and he was recording The Wild, The Innocent in my little suburban county. Seeing him in small clubs and college gyms can never be matched. I refuse to go to stadium shows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect tens:
    Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
    Buffalo Springfield - Again
    Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
    Donovan - Sunshine Superman
    Randy Newman - Creates Something New Under The Sun (first album)
    Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight

    ReplyDelete
  13. Plus: Dillard & Clark - The Fantastic Expedition Of...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll add this one, because it arrived yesterday, and i've played it at least 7 times. Melody Gardot Live in Europe. 3 lp set. Some of her better known songs are recorded on this, but its just her voice, a cellist and a guitarist. Pure magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three album set, let's say 40 minutes an album, that's a couple of hours, times (at least) seven, that's fourteen hours? I've never listened to an album that long (or that many times) in my life. Kudos!

      Delete
  15. Perfect Ten album, I just remembered Ian Dury and The Blockheads, New Boots And Panties. Side one all classic in my book, Side two continues the same until the foul mouthed graffiti of Plaistow Patricia shocks you with its unforgettable opening line.

    also Ribena has never sounded so very rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian Dury I never got, like you don't get Springsteen. We can't like everything.

      Delete
  16. I was put off a bit by the bombast of early Springsteen and he's still far from being my favorite artist. I am, however, impressed by the way he has continued to develop and grow over so many years. A few years back his set from the 1979 No Nukes concert was released on DVD and I saw it a few weeks ago (courtesy of my local library). I liked that pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This album has been verified Bombast Free by the Royal Artillery Bombast Defusing Squad. It was examined very closely, the team wearing heavy anti-bombast protective clothing, and deemed 100% safe.

      Delete
  17. There's a few Big Names missing from the comments. The Stones, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Pink Floyd. the Grateful Dead, Dylan ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Babs asked about perfect albums a few weeks ago and I replied that there ain't no such thing. That being said, all of the above, minus PF and adding Neil Young and Joni Mitchell, do exceptionally fine work with Dylan and The Beatles coming closest to the 10 mark.
    I like early and late PF but I have some issues with their superstar period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the most discussed topics in music, and we've probably seen it here before, too. The difference between a Perfect Ten and "Your Favourite Album, Like, Ever" is that you can appreciate an album that gets everything right, achieves everything it set out to do - is "perfect" for want of a better word - without it being your most-loved and most-enjoyed record. Many of my favourite albums - some that I might choose over a Perfect Ten - are flawed in some way.

      Delete
  19. Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding

    ReplyDelete